win 2k network id question/reset sys info

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000' started by Guest, Nov 19, 2007.

    my appologies if this posts twice, I tried once before. I was trying to make
    it easier to access my win 2k machine from the XP pc's on my home network.
    Other 2 connect/share fine. Can see xp machines and printers from win 2k pc
    and can share printer on win 2k pc. I could never see the win 2k pc from
    normal "my network places" but could get on it by "search for computer and
    enter win 2k pc computer name & then user/pw. I could add shortcuts to xp pc
    but would lose them when i had to reboot xp pc. I was trying to change
    something on the win 2k pc, was tired of always fussing with it. Went to
    control panel-system properties-network Id and then clicked Network ID
    button. Then changed option from “part of business network…†to “is for home
    use…â€. Said ok on reboot. When the system came back up I had lost half of my
    shortcut icons and when I tried to launch IE I get the “Getting Started with
    Win 2k†window to Register Now or Discover Win or Connect to the Internet. Is
    there a way to reset my registry or ?? to yesterday so I don’t lose all of my
    old set up?? Also any ideas on how to share the win 2k pc in “my network
    places�
    tks

    Guest, Nov 19, 2007

    Dave Patrick Guest

    On a newly-joined-to-the-domain PC if you logon to the pc first, then to the
    domain you would end up with two profiles.
    %username%
    and
    %username%.%userdomain%
    Else if you logon to the domain first, then to the pc you would end up with
    %username%
    and
    %username%.%computername%

    Depending on your situation one of them is now orphaned but you can run
    regedt32.exe and navigate to HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList locate the new profile SID and edit the
    Reg_Expand_Sz 'ProfileImagePath' to point back to the old domain profile.

    --

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]