WIA (Windows Imaging something) - why such a stopper?

Discussion in 'Windows XP New Users' started by J. P. Gilliver (John), Nov 28, 2010.

  1. My friend's XP computer was very hard to use: clicking on My Computer in
    Windows Explorer caused a sort of freeze, as did using the Send To menu,
    DIMAGE (software that came with a camera) popped up a "Server Busy"
    window (finally opening after about 15 minutes), and save and load
    windows, if you used the up button or the drop-down list to change the
    save/load location from the default, also locked up. Bringing up the
    TWAIN selection list also gave a freeze or _long_ pause, though if you
    didn't change the selection but just used something (well, we tried the
    scanner), it worked fine.

    Googling brought the fact that lots of people had similar problems, and
    a few reported that turning off the "service" WIA made an amazing
    difference.

    WIA seems to be part of Windows, and something to do with getting images
    from cameras and scanners. In my friend's it case wasn't running, but
    showed as "Starting" - this being some time after the computer had been
    running.

    We set it to Disabled (though not being sure what the difference between
    Disabled and Manual would be; the other option, which it was, being
    Automatic), and restarted the computer.

    Amazing; everything is back as it should be - all the things that had
    either frozen or paused for some minutes now work fast enough. The
    scanner still works (Canon), the film scanner ditto (and we can select
    which of them via the TWAIN selection list, which comes up at once). We
    haven't tried anything that relies on Windows alone, such as a webcam (I
    suspect that _wouldn't_ work).

    What I'm curious about is: why does this "service", which seems to be a
    standard part of Microsoft Windows, cause such apparently unrelated
    problems when started (or rather allowed to try to start)? [And, for
    that matter, what triggered the slowdown: probably something enabled the
    service, such as a Windows update, but it could have been something else
    which interacted badly with WIA?]
    --
    J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

    If vegetarians eat vegetables,..beware of humanitarians!

    J. P. Gilliver (John), Nov 28, 2010

  2. J. P. Gilliver (John)

    Tony Luxton Guest

    On 28/11/2010 7:52 am, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
    > My friend's XP computer was very hard to use: clicking on My Computer
    > in Windows Explorer caused a sort of freeze, as did using the Send To
    > menu, DIMAGE (software that came with a camera) popped up a "Server
    > Busy" window (finally opening after about 15 minutes), and save and
    > load windows, if you used the up button or the drop-down list to
    > change the save/load location from the default, also locked up.
    > Bringing up the TWAIN selection list also gave a freeze or _long_
    > pause, though if you didn't change the selection but just used
    > something (well, we tried the scanner), it worked fine.
    >
    > Googling brought the fact that lots of people had similar problems,
    > and a few reported that turning off the "service" WIA made an amazing
    > difference.
    >
    > WIA seems to be part of Windows, and something to do with getting
    > images from cameras and scanners. In my friend's it case wasn't
    > running, but showed as "Starting" - this being some time after the
    > computer had been running.
    >
    > We set it to Disabled (though not being sure what the difference
    > between Disabled and Manual would be; the other option, which it was,
    > being Automatic), and restarted the computer.
    >
    > Amazing; everything is back as it should be - all the things that had
    > either frozen or paused for some minutes now work fast enough. The
    > scanner still works (Canon), the film scanner ditto (and we can select
    > which of them via the TWAIN selection list, which comes up at once).
    > We haven't tried anything that relies on Windows alone, such as a
    > webcam (I suspect that _wouldn't_ work).
    >
    > What I'm curious about is: why does this "service", which seems to be
    > a standard part of Microsoft Windows, cause such apparently unrelated
    > problems when started (or rather allowed to try to start)? [And, for
    > that matter, what triggered the slowdown: probably something enabled
    > the service, such as a Windows update, but it could have been
    > something else which interacted badly with WIA?]

    Other Devices are shown in your My Computer window. Occasionally,
    Windows loses track of a device, and therefore can't finish populating
    the My Computer window. So it hangs. One symptom of this is that, if you
    click on a random file and point to Send to, the Send to menu doesn't
    fly out. If it's a permanently connected device (such as a scanner) the
    fix is to unplug it and plug it in again. Setting the WIA service to
    manual will cure the My Computer problem, as it will only start when
    needed, as opposed to when Windows starts.

    Tony Luxton, Aug 19, 2011

  3. J. P. Gilliver (John)

    VanguardLH Guest

    Tony Luxton replied way too late:

    > On 28/11/2010 7:52 am, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

    <something now really old>

    <tony replies way too late>

    You thought after *OVER 8 MONTHS* that Gilliver was still waiting for
    replies?

    VanguardLH, Aug 19, 2011
  4. J. P. Gilliver (John)

    Twayne Guest

    OT Re: WIA (Windows Imaging something) - why such a stopper?

    In news:j2mnpd$2e2$,
    VanguardLH <> typed:
    > Tony Luxton replied way too late:
    >
    >> On 28/11/2010 7:52 am, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

    > <something now really old>
    >>

    > <tony replies way too late>
    >
    > You thought after *OVER 8 MONTHS* that Gilliver was still
    > waiting for replies?

    Good responses to old posts are often useful to other people who come along
    later lookng for answers. It helps a lot with searchinig for thinigs and
    avoids looking at a thread with no answer in it. YOu're such a cry-baby on
    these groups, I swear.

    If you're not part of the solution, ... .

    Twayne, Aug 20, 2011
  5. Re: OT Re: WIA (Windows Imaging something) - why such a stopper?

    In message <j2mrm3$a77$>, Twayne
    <> writes:
    >In news:j2mnpd$2e2$,
    >VanguardLH <> typed:
    >> Tony Luxton replied way too late:
    >>
    >>> On 28/11/2010 7:52 am, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

    >> <something now really old>
    >>>

    >> <tony replies way too late>
    >>
    >> You thought after *OVER 8 MONTHS* that Gilliver was still
    >> waiting for replies?

    I'd forgotten the posting, but am still interested! (The reply still
    doesn't explain _why_ WIA causes such problems - I don't _think_ it
    would have just been Windows "losing track" of some connected device, as
    although we didn't go round disconnecting and reconnecting devices, the
    problem did remain through several complete powerdowns, after which I
    would have thought contact would have been re-established, nor what had
    turned WIA on, if it had been off.) But ...

    >Good responses to old posts are often useful to other people who come along
    >later lookng for answers. It helps a lot with searchinig for thinigs and
    >avoids looking at a thread with no answer in it. YOu're such a cry-baby on
    >these groups, I swear.
    >
    > If you're not part of the solution, ... .

    .... I agree with Twayne's sentiments: new replies to old queries can
    help new readers. (And also provide closure if they actually answer the
    original question in a way nobody had when the thread was originally
    active!)
    --
    J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

    .... "Peter and out." ... "Kevin and out." (Link episode)

    J. P. Gilliver (John), Aug 20, 2011
  6. J. P. Gilliver (John)

    Twayne Guest

    Re: OT Re: WIA (Windows Imaging something) - why such a stopper?

    In news:,
    J. P. Gilliver (John) <> typed:
    > In message <j2mrm3$a77$>, Twayne
    > <> writes:
    >> In news:j2mnpd$2e2$,
    >> VanguardLH <> typed:
    >>> Tony Luxton replied way too late:

    >>> <something now really old>
    >>>>
    >>> <tony replies way too late>
    >>>
    >>> You thought after *OVER 8 MONTHS* that Gilliver was
    >>> still waiting for replies?

    > I'd forgotten the posting, but am still interested! (The
    > reply still doesn't explain _why_ WIA causes such
    > problems - I don't _think_ it would have just been
    > Windows "losing track" of some connected device, as
    > although we didn't go round disconnecting and
    > reconnecting devices, the problem did remain through
    > several complete powerdowns, after which I would have
    > thought contact would have been re-established, nor what
    > had turned WIA on, if it had been off.) But ...
    >>
    >> Good responses to old posts are often useful to other
    >> people who come along later lookng for answers. It helps
    >> a lot with searchinig for thinigs and avoids looking at
    >> a thread with no answer in it. YOu're such a cry-baby on
    >> these groups, I swear. If you're not part of the solution, ... .
    >>

    > ... I agree with Twayne's sentiments: new replies to old
    > queries can help new readers. (And also provide closure
    > if they actually answer the original question in a way
    > nobody had when the thread was originally active!)

    These mght help a little plus allow better searching if you want more. WIA
    seems simple but can be complicated:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms630368(v=vs.85).aspx

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Image_Acquisition

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/264598

    Twayne, Aug 21, 2011
  7. Re: OT Re: WIA (Windows Imaging something) - why such a stopper?

    In message <j2r5ku$n55$>, Twayne
    <> writes:
    >In news:,
    >J. P. Gilliver (John) <> typed:
    >> In message <j2mrm3$a77$>, Twayne
    >> <> writes:
    >>> In news:j2mnpd$2e2$,
    >>> VanguardLH <> typed:

    []

    >> ... I agree with Twayne's sentiments: new replies to old
    >> queries can help new readers. (And also provide closure
    >> if they actually answer the original question in a way
    >> nobody had when the thread was originally active!)

    >These mght help a little plus allow better searching if you want more. WIA
    >seems simple but can be complicated:
    >
    >http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms630368(v=vs.85).aspx
    >
    >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Image_Acquisition
    >
    >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/264598

    Thanks; probably quite informative, but way over my head. So I still
    don't know why it slows things to unusability, nor how it got turned on,
    but those are due to my hignorance.
    --
    J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G.5AL-IS-P--Ch++(p)Ar@T0H+Sh0!:`)DNAf

    They say no one rehearses any more, and I suppose if your output is all scenery
    and sick cats you don't need to. - Victoria Wood, Radio Times, 1998

    J. P. Gilliver (John), Aug 21, 2011
  8. J. P. Gilliver (John)

    Tony Luxton Guest

    On 19/08/2011 11:24 pm, VanguardLH wrote:
    > Tony Luxton replied way too late:
    >
    >> On 28/11/2010 7:52 am, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

    > <something now really old>
    > <tony replies way too late>
    >
    > You thought after *OVER 8 MONTHS* that Gilliver was still waiting for
    > replies?

    Who cares whether he was or not? It could be useful to someone - what
    else are newsgroups for? And even if my post *was* useless, what was
    yours then?

    Tony Luxton, Sep 5, 2011
  9. J. P. Gilliver (John)

    Twayne Guest

    In news:,
    Tony Luxton <> typed:
    > On 19/08/2011 11:24 pm, VanguardLH wrote:
    >> Tony Luxton replied way too late:
    >>
    >>> On 28/11/2010 7:52 am, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

    >> <something now really old>
    >> <tony replies way too late>
    >>
    >> You thought after *OVER 8 MONTHS* that Gilliver was
    >> still waiting for replies?

    Probably not, but others searching for a similar solution to that problem
    mght be quite pleased to see the correct response. Nothing wrong with
    answering old posts; it adds closure to the queston regardless of who looks
    it up.

    > Who cares whether he was or not? It could be useful to
    > someone - what else are newsgroups for? And even if my
    > post *was* useless, what was yours then?

    I agree with you and I think I can tell you what his post was: Some people
    are just so useless feeling that they'll grab onto anyone in an attempt to
    usurp power from them and make themselves feel bigger and more important.
    The world is full of such ego-suckers and they love newsgroups so they can
    hide like the cowards they actually are. My opinion anyway, so I agree with
    you.

    HTH,

    Twayne`

    Twayne, Sep 6, 2011