    way to see who currently has the file open?? Any
    clues as to what is going on here?

    Thank you!

    Robert Crandal, Jun 29, 2010

  2. On Jun 29, 12:29 pm, "Robert Crandal" <> wrote:
    > I cannot save my workbook because the file status
    > is suddenly showing as "Read Only".   Are there any
    > settings in Excel 2007 which might cause a workbook
    > to become "Read Only"???  I login to my personal
    > account every day, after which I shut down all
    > applications and log out.  Therefore, I'm somewhat
    > positive that I'm not logged in twice.
    >
    > If it is possible that another user, such as the network
    > administrator or a boss, has the file open, is there a
    > way to see who currently has the file open??  Any
    > clues as to what is going on here?
    >
    > Thank you!

    Robert, I occasionally see this intermittent error in WORD but never,
    yet, in EXCEL.

    trip_to_tokyo, Jun 29, 2010

  3. On Jun 29, 11:29 am, "Robert Crandal" <> wrote:
    > I cannot save my workbook because the file status
    > is suddenly showing as "Read Only".   Are there any
    > settings in Excel 2007 which might cause a workbook
    > to become "Read Only"???  I login to my personal
    > account every day, after which I shut down all
    > applications and log out.  Therefore, I'm somewhat
    > positive that I'm not logged in twice.
    >
    > If it is possible that another user, such as the network
    > administrator or a boss, has the file open, is there a
    > way to see who currently has the file open??  Any
    > clues as to what is going on here?
    >
    > Thank you!

    If the file is read-only as you open it, then Excel will tell you, and
    will tell you who already has it open.

    Is it possible you are suffering from network problems which are
    causing the folder to have a read-only status and therefore
    affectiving your ability to save?

    Matt
    http://2toria.com
    http://teachr.blogspot.com

    Matt Richardson, Jun 29, 2010
  4. Robert Crandal

    Gord Dibben Guest

    Do you get a message that the workbook is already opened by yourself and is
    read-only?

    When you open a workbook in Excel a temporary copy is created.

    Closing the workbook should also close the temp file.

    Sometimes this does not happen and the temp file remains behind.

    A reboot generally clears the temp file.

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

    Gord Dibben, Jun 29, 2010