    And why shouldn't it have an email-client and a
    'lynx-like' http-fetcher?

    , Jul 23, 2012

  2. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > We know that epaper takes half a second to update its
    > screen, so it can't keep-up with keyed input.
    >
    > But can't a method be found to buffer a [selectable]
    > number a chars, between screen updates. Or some
    > other solution.
    >
    > And why shouldn't it have an email-client and a
    > 'lynx-like' http-fetcher?

    Special purpose devices, don't perform general purpose functions ?

    Or stated another way, things that aren't computers, aren't computers.

    An epaper device, places an emphasis on saving power, so it's
    not intended as a replacement for some other small-form-factor
    computer-like device. And the display technology is likely
    selected as the lowest possible power using type. If the display
    updated more rapidly, it would be an LCD, and it would gulp down
    battery juice.

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 24, 2012

  3. Charlie+ Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 22:34:04 +0000 (UTC), wrote as
    underneath :

    >We know that epaper takes half a second to update its
    >screen, so it can't keep-up with keyed input.
    >
    >But can't a method be found to buffer a [selectable]
    >number a chars, between screen updates. Or some
    >other solution.
    >
    >And why shouldn't it have an email-client and a
    >'lynx-like' http-fetcher?

    I assume ePaper is the same as eInk? my Kindle does webpages etc -slowly
    and small-ly but you can use it at a push!
    C+

    Charlie+, Jul 24, 2012

    Re (2): Why don't ePaper-devices do apps?

    In article <juksql$s8r$>, Paul <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    > > We know that epaper takes half a second to update its
    > > screen, so it can't keep-up with keyed input.
    > >
    > > But can't a method be found to buffer a [selectable]
    > > number a chars, between screen updates. Or some
    > > other solution.
    > >
    > > And why shouldn't it have an email-client and a
    > > 'lynx-like' http-fetcher?
    > >

    > Special purpose devices, don't perform general purpose functions ?
    >
    > Or stated another way, things that aren't computers, aren't computers.

    That's what IBM said in the 60's before the PC hit them.
    And what PC-boys said before mobile devices hit them.
    I read that now more <androids> than PCs are born.

    > An epaper device, places an emphasis on saving power, so it's
    > not intended as a replacement for some other small-form-factor
    > computer-like device. And the display technology is likely
    > selected as the lowest possible power using type. If the display
    > updated more rapidly, it would be an LCD, and it would gulp down
    > battery juice.
    >
    > Paul

    Read again slowly: <we accept the slow update rate>,
    and seek INOVATIVE methods to make it usable as a writer too.

    Re. inet facilities: I spend an hour studying the text which
    uses a 1 minute power-consumption-burst to d/l.

    , Jul 24, 2012
  5. John McGaw Guest

    On 7/23/2012 6:34 PM, wrote:
    > We know that epaper takes half a second to update its
    > screen, so it can't keep-up with keyed input.
    >
    > But can't a method be found to buffer a [selectable]
    > number a chars, between screen updates. Or some
    > other solution.
    >
    > And why shouldn't it have an email-client and a
    > 'lynx-like' http-fetcher?

    They simply don't work well, or at least up to the standards that users
    have come to expect. But that doesn't mean that is can't or hasn't been done.

    http://lifehacker.com/5889158/turn-a-99-nook-into-a-fully-fledged-android-tablet-in-four-easy-steps

    John McGaw, Jul 24, 2012

    In article <o5wPr.438300$%1.easynews.com>, John McGaw <> wrote:

    > On 7/23/2012 6:34 PM, wrote:
    > > We know that epaper takes half a second to update its
    > > screen, so it can't keep-up with keyed input.
    > >
    > > But can't a method be found to buffer a [selectable]
    > > number a chars, between screen updates. Or some
    > > other solution.
    > >
    > > And why shouldn't it have an email-client and a
    > > 'lynx-like' http-fetcher?
    > >

    > They simply don't work well, or at least up to the
    > standards that users have come to expect.
    > But that doesn't mean that is can't or hasn't been done.
    >
    > http://lifehacker.com/5889158/
    > turn-a-99-nook-into-a-fully-fledged-android-tablet-in-four-easy-steps

    Wow! That 'reads' fantastic.
    So then, why don't the manufacturers sell it in
    an 'opened-form'; if it's got an android-engine?

    The low-power to read, with short periods to inet,
    makes it meet the OLPC's original intentions.

    , Jul 26, 2012

    In article <>, Charlie+ <> wrote:

    > On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 22:34:04 +0000 (UTC), wrote as
    > underneath :
    >
    > >We know that epaper takes half a second to update its
    > >screen, so it can't keep-up with keyed input.
    > >
    > >But can't a method be found to buffer a [selectable]
    > >number a chars, between screen updates. Or some
    > >other solution.
    > >
    > >And why shouldn't it have an email-client and a
    > >'lynx-like' http-fetcher?

    > I assume ePaper is the same as eInk? my Kindle does
    > webpages etc -slowly and small-ly but you can use
    > it at a push!
    > C+

    But can you write and edit text?

    ==TIA.

    , Jul 26, 2012
  8. On Mon, 23 Jul 2012, Paul wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> We know that epaper takes half a second to update its
    >> screen, so it can't keep-up with keyed input.
    >>
    >> But can't a method be found to buffer a [selectable]
    >> number a chars, between screen updates. Or some other solution.
    >>
    >> And why shouldn't it have an email-client and a
    >> 'lynx-like' http-fetcher?
    >>

    > Special purpose devices, don't perform general purpose functions ?
    >
    > Or stated another way, things that aren't computers, aren't computers.
    >
    > An epaper device, places an emphasis on saving power, so it's
    > not intended as a replacement for some other small-form-factor
    > computer-like device. And the display technology is likely
    > selected as the lowest possible power using type. If the display
    > updated more rapidly, it would be an LCD, and it would gulp down
    > battery juice.

    Yes.

    I suddenly decided the price of ebook readers had dropped enough, to where
    I was willing to spend the money. But then wham, they introduce ereaders
    that are tablets. For less than a hundred dollars more, I can get a
    tablet. I don't even know which function I want more, tablet or ereader,
    but it makes sense to buy one that does both.

    I ended up buying a Blackberry Playbook, just after they dropped to 199
    here in Canada back in February. I would have bought an HP the summer
    before, but I missed the 99.00 clearout.

    Yes, it's a nice tablet. And unlike netbooks, it's a more practical
    format for light work, for work away from a table. And it's decent as an
    ereader, though I have read a relative few books, all out of copyright
    books.

    But the battery doesnt' last long between charges. Or rather, it takes
    its time to reboot, so I leave it on standby, which gives a continuous
    drain. Even under use, the battery needs relatively frequent charges, not
    something you want with a book. It has everything, nice and bright and I
    can do the internet so long as I find a wifi connection, but if I fall
    asleep with it on, I'll have to recharge.

    I'm not disappointed that I bought it, I'm glad to have the tablet.

    But, if ebooks are really the future, I figure having the tablet out of my
    ssytem, I will get an e-ink ereader at some point, specifically for books.
    The more I would use an ereader, the more I'd want an e-ink reader.

    Michael

    Michael Black, Jul 27, 2012
  9. root Guest

    Michael Black <> wrote:

    > But, if ebooks are really the future, I figure having the tablet out of my
    > ssytem, I will get an e-ink ereader at some point, specifically for books.
    > The more I would use an ereader, the more I'd want an e-ink reader.
    >
    > Michael

    I have several ereaders, both e-ink and backlit. For regular reading
    the e-ink is far preferable, not the least for battery life. You
    should know that most pdf files cannot be read on a 7" display.
    epub and mobi files are fine because they can adjust the display.

    For epub files I like my Kobo touch. For pdf files I use the
    (no longer available) Kindle DX and my favorite reader the
    Pocketbook Pro. It has a 10" display and reads all formats. The
    contrast on the Pocketbook is less than that of the DX or Kobo,
    but in every other respect the Pocketbook is better.

    root, Jul 27, 2012
  10. On Fri, 27 Jul 2012, root wrote:

    > Michael Black <> wrote:
    >>
    >> But, if ebooks are really the future, I figure having the tablet out of my
    >> ssytem, I will get an e-ink ereader at some point, specifically for books.
    >> The more I would use an ereader, the more I'd want an e-ink reader.
    >>
    >> Michael
    >>

    > I have several ereaders, both e-ink and backlit. For regular reading
    > the e-ink is far preferable, not the least for battery life. You
    > should know that most pdf files cannot be read on a 7" display.
    > epub and mobi files are fine because they can adjust the display.

    So I noticed. I wsa reading one book as a pdf and with the tablet held
    like a book, the text was a tad fine. I could enlarge it, but it wasn't
    readjusted to fit into the screen, so I'd have to scroll. Flipping the
    tablet to "landscape", I didn't ahve to scroll sideways, but I had to
    scroll as I read down the page.

    I was sitting in the sun yesterday reading with it, and again noticed how
    warm the back was getting. That's another minus thing of a tablet. 2
    1GHz cores are nice for the things people do with computers, but it's
    overkill for reading a book, which is so static. It's more than just
    battery drain, it just seems overkill.

    > For epub files I like my Kobo touch. For pdf files I use the
    > (no longer available) Kindle DX and my favorite reader the
    > Pocketbook Pro. It has a 10" display and reads all formats. The
    > contrast on the Pocketbook is less than that of the DX or Kobo,
    > but in every other respect the Pocketbook is better.

    If ebooks are going to replace books, I'm sure the prices of ereaders will
    have to drop. So in the long run, I expect to get an erreader with eink
    in a relatively short time that is only for books, but no more than fifty
    dollars, and hopefully less.

    Once I got the tablet, a lot of the "extras" are no longer needed in an
    ereader, so they can be cheap, low power, and still good.

    Michael

    Michael Black, Jul 30, 2012
  11. In article <>,
    Charlie+ <chasg> wrote:
    >On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 22:34:04 +0000 (UTC), wrote as
    >underneath :
    >
    >>We know that epaper takes half a second to update its
    >>screen, so it can't keep-up with keyed input.
    >>
    >>But can't a method be found to buffer a [selectable]
    >>number a chars, between screen updates. Or some
    >>other solution.
    >>
    >>And why shouldn't it have an email-client and a
    >>'lynx-like' http-fetcher?

    >I assume ePaper is the same as eInk? my Kindle does webpages etc -slowly
    >and small-ly but you can use it at a push!
    >C+

    The Kindle browser is certainly not perfect, but is useful for things like
    bringing up google maps in a pinch, checking things you should have looked
    up before you left the house and killing spam comments on your blog.

    The kindle (not kindle fire, but regular kindles) is a linux device
    and there are plenty of jailbreaks out there to get you into it. It's
    easy to develop/port Linux API programs for it with Scratchbox or other
    ARM linux cross compilers..
    --
    ------
    columbiaclosings.com

    (Ted Nolan, Jul 31, 2012
  12. Re: Re (2): Why don't ePaper-devices do apps?

    In article <jus0ge$2o6$>, <> wrote:
    >In article <>, Charlie+
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 22:34:04 +0000 (UTC), wrote as
    >> underneath :
    >>
    >> >We know that epaper takes half a second to update its
    >> >screen, so it can't keep-up with keyed input.
    >> >
    >> >But can't a method be found to buffer a [selectable]
    >> >number a chars, between screen updates. Or some
    >> >other solution.
    >> >
    >> >And why shouldn't it have an email-client and a
    >> >'lynx-like' http-fetcher?

    >> I assume ePaper is the same as eInk? my Kindle does
    >> webpages etc -slowly and small-ly but you can use
    >> it at a push!
    >> C+

    >But can you write and edit text?
    >
    >==TIA.

    Sure. It helps if you have one of the models with an actual keyboard, of
    course.
    --
    ------

    (Ted Nolan, Jul 31, 2012
  13. Charlie+ Guest

    Re: Re (2): Why don't ePaper-devices do apps?

    On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 17:58:42 +0000 (UTC), wrote as
    underneath:

    >In article <>, Charlie+ <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 22:34:04 +0000 (UTC), wrote as
    >> underneath :
    >>
    >> >We know that epaper takes half a second to update its
    >> >screen, so it can't keep-up with keyed input.
    >> >
    >> >But can't a method be found to buffer a [selectable]
    >> >number a chars, between screen updates. Or some
    >> >other solution.
    >> >
    >> >And why shouldn't it have an email-client and a
    >> >'lynx-like' http-fetcher?

    >> I assume ePaper is the same as eInk? my Kindle does
    >> webpages etc -slowly and small-ly but you can use
    >> it at a push!
    >> C+

    >But can you write and edit text?

    Yes but slowly, login to email, eBay etc is quite possible but v.
    slowly! You wouldnt' use it if you had a faster option available -
    mine is a Kindle 3 which also plays MP3 files for audiobooks etc. - a
    facility I use really a lot. I Believe the later cheaper Kindles
    perhaps dont do as much or have so much memory, but have advantage of
    touch screen whereas mine has keypad. C+

    Charlie+, Jul 31, 2012