Windows 7 Why do pages etc auto minimise?

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Great new look forum.

I am using Windows 7 Prof and have a question about how to turn off auto minimising.

I don't know how to describe it but it's so annoying.

If I have a browser open for instance and click on say options it briefly shows then minimises itself to the taskbar, I then hover over it and click on it it opens but then minimises again, It's driving me mad.

I think it may be some new way for W7 to work but have done searches and can't find the answer.

Does anyone know why this happens and is there a way to disable it.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Andrew.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've never seen something like that before :confused:

Does it happen in any application, or just browsers?

Also, does the same thing happen in Safe Mode?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Win7 has the 'shake to minimize' feature.

It could be that?

Try clicking on the title bar of a window and 'shake' it, it will minimize all the inactive windows behind it.

Maybe its that?

Reaction score
Hi Ian and V-R.

Thanks for replies.

It seems to happen mainly in browsers but I seem to remember it happening in other windows too.

To give you an example, I am typing this in Chrome so if I go up to Tools (the spanner icon) and click on Options the options window opens on screen and immediately minimises to behind the chrome icon on the task bar, then if i hover over the icon it previews the 2 windows, I can click on the option window and it will open but then when I move the mouse up and over the option window it closes again before I get the chance to click on it. If I am fast enough at clicking it will stay open but it takes 5 or 6 tries.

This happens in Firefox, IE and Slimbrowser too.

I am not sure how to do these things in Safe Mode to see if the same thing happens. I am not very technical and have not used Safe Mode before.

Hope this gives you a bit more info.

Regards,

Andrew.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Andrew,

If you keep tapping F8 while your computer boots (near the start of loading Windows) and then select "Safe Mode with Networking". This will boot up your system using a minimal version of Windows 7, without loading up many 3rd party applications that may be running at the same time. The reason for suggesting this route is to see if it is some other software interfering.

Reaction score
Hi Ian,

I was a bit cautious about using safe mode, didn't want to mess anything up, but it was fine.

I did as you said and it opened in safe mode, I clicked on chrome browser and it did exactly the same thing with minimising.

I tried firefox while in safe mode and same again and internet explorer.

I am lost as to what it may be.

We have an old xp computer and I just tried chrome browser on that, did exactly the same process with the tools and options menu and no problem at all, it opened and stayed in view, so I guess it has to be something unique to windows 7.

Andrew.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Is it just web browsers that do it or does it happen with other things, like programs and Windows Explorer? (viewing your Documents for example)

Reaction score
Hi V-R

I have just tried to replicate it with opening my documents, pictures , files and folders and that seems to be ok I am not getting the problem there, so I guess it must be just browsers .

Andrew.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
you may have used a 'control+key' combination unbeknown to you like ... minimize open windows?

To minimize open windows using the keyboard

Press the Windows logo key +D.
To restore minimized windows, press the Windows logo key +D again.

Note
You can also press the Windows logo key +M to minimize open windows, and press the Windows logo key +Shift+M to restore them.

other than that, I'm out of ideas

:user:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Theres also Win key and arrow keys that do things, Winkey + down arrow minimises. :)

Reaction score
Hi Silverhazesurfer,

Thank you so much.

I followed the instructions about the mouse use under ease of use in control panel and it appears to have worked.

It has been driving me mad.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Andrew.

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Reaction score
Thanks again guys.

I didn't touch the registry, just altered the way the mouse works.

Regards,

Andrew.

Ask a Question