    When I looked at the prices of the 3.2 pentium processor I wanted, I could
    not believe the price.

    Why is this so?

    Go Tyler, Dec 13, 2005

  2. Go Tyler wrote:
    > I just started looking at processors so I could build my own computer. It
    > seems to me that I would save money by getting a brand new computer off Dell
    > or Circuit City.
    >
    > When I looked at the prices of the 3.2 pentium processor I wanted, I could
    > not believe the price.
    >
    > Why is this so?

    If you use pricewatch.com you can find some good prices on the different
    components you have selected. They include vendor ratings if you have
    any concerns. The big difference between building yourself and buying a
    prebuilt one is that you don't know what all the components inside are.
    Plus some of the necessary upgrades can cost a lot more for a prebuilt
    computer than for a computer you built yourself. Some of the prebuilt
    computers do not come with a CD for XP, but a partition with a copy that
    only works on that computer. Plus if you need a new case or power
    supply you may have a hard time finding one that will work with your system.
    I have built my own computers since the days of the 286 and much prefer
    to build one that works the way I want it the first time rather than
    hope that someone else's idea is the same as mine.

    Michael W. Ryder, Dec 13, 2005

  3. Go Tyler

    Leythos Guest

    In article <r%pnf.4444$>,
    says...
    > I just started looking at processors so I could build my own computer. It
    > seems to me that I would save money by getting a brand new computer off Dell
    > or Circuit City.
    >
    > When I looked at the prices of the 3.2 pentium processor I wanted, I could
    > not believe the price.
    >
    > Why is this so?

    Complete systems are not cheaper, they only appear to be cheaper. When
    you look at the EXACT parts you will find that the $400 computer you get
    from DELL is a stripped down hunk of junk, and if you wanted something
    with an AGP slot for video, faster than an old socket 4xx CPU, more than
    2 slots for RAM, etc... you would be spending about $800.

    If you shop around you can get very close the the same cost as the
    actual parts, provided you can learn what parts they use.

    As an example, I can build a $25,000 Dell Server, using the SAME quality
    of parts, and do it for about 1/2 of what Dell sells it for.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos, Dec 13, 2005
  4. Go Tyler

    Mark A Guest

    "Go Tyler" <> wrote in message
    >I just started looking at processors so I could build my own computer. It
    >seems to me that I would save money by getting a brand new computer off
    >Dell or Circuit City.
    >
    > When I looked at the prices of the 3.2 pentium processor I wanted, I could
    > not believe the price.
    >
    > Why is this so?

    Because system manufacturers purchase the parts in very large quantities and
    get huge discounts compared to what you have pay for the same parts in small
    quantities.

    If you went to an auto dealer parts department and priced all the parts on
    your car, it would cost well over $100,000.

    Mark A, Dec 13, 2005
  5. Go Tyler

    NG User Guest

    It is so because companies like Dell by in HUGE quantities...so, they get
    both hardware and software at rediculous prices.

    NG User, Dec 13, 2005
  6. Go Tyler

    BigJIm Guest

    well I guess if you could buy in quantity you would get cheaper pricing.

    BigJIm, Dec 13, 2005
  7. Go Tyler

    Bill Guest

    In article <r%pnf.4444$>,
    says...
    > I just started looking at processors so I could build my own computer. It
    > seems to me that I would save money by getting a brand new computer off Dell
    > or Circuit City.
    >
    > When I looked at the prices of the 3.2 pentium processor I wanted, I could
    > not believe the price.
    >
    > Why is this so?

    Because your name is not Michael Dell.

    Bill

    Bill, Dec 13, 2005
  8. Go Tyler

    C Guest

    On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 20:07:44 -0600, "Go Tyler"
    <> wrote:

    >I just started looking at processors so I could build my own computer. It
    >seems to me that I would save money by getting a brand new computer off Dell
    >or Circuit City.
    >
    >When I looked at the prices of the 3.2 pentium processor I wanted, I could
    >not believe the price.
    >
    >Why is this so?

    I'll add some more to this topic.

    You don't get the OS,you get a restore cd and the hard drive has a
    hidden partition on it for using this cd.It will not work on another
    machine except with same bios and hardware.If your drive goes,time to
    buy an OS.
    Propriety hardware sometimes includes PSU so you have to purchase from
    them.

    Bottom line=You get what you pay for!

    C.

    C, Dec 13, 2005
  9. Go Tyler

    Venom Guest

    They sell cheaper computers but yer wouldn't want to own one.
    Try reading the specs real carefully and you will see what I mean.

    Venom, Dec 13, 2005
  10. Go Tyler

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    "Go Tyler" <> wrote in message
    >I just started looking at processors so I could build my own computer. It
    >seems to me that I would save money by getting a brand new computer off
    >Dell or Circuit City.
    >
    > When I looked at the prices of the 3.2 pentium processor I wanted, I could
    > not believe the price.
    >
    > Why is this so?

    Because Pentiums are overpriced and about a year behind anything AMD makes.
    Do yourself a favor...look at AMD Athlon64 processors.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Dec 13, 2005
  11. Go Tyler

    NightSky 421 Guest

    "Go Tyler" <> wrote in message
    >I just started looking at processors so I could build my own computer. It
    >seems to me that I would save money by getting a brand new computer off
    >Dell or Circuit City.
    >
    > When I looked at the prices of the 3.2 pentium processor I wanted, I could
    > not believe the price.
    >
    > Why is this so?

    Two reasons...

    Dell buys components in quantity and therefore can get better pricing.

    A lot of pre-built computers come with components of questionable quality.
    When you build your own system, at least you know exactly what make of power
    supply and memory are going into the system (just two examples), whereas
    corporate juggernauts tend to cut corners when making purchasing decisions
    for their computers.

    Really, you usually get what you pay for.

    NightSky 421, Dec 13, 2005
  12. Go Tyler

    Bob Willard Guest

    Go Tyler wrote:

    >I just started looking at processors so I could build my own computer. It
    >seems to me that I would save money by getting a brand new computer off Dell
    >or Circuit City.
    >
    >When I looked at the prices of the 3.2 pentium processor I wanted, I could
    >not believe the price.
    >
    >Why is this so?

    Major vendors cut corners to compete on price. PSs are barely adequate for
    the as-built configuration, and cooling is marginal. Low-end PCs use
    on-board
    graphics, which are fine for a lame-game (Solitaire) Office environment.

    The cheap business strategy works well, since most naive buyers think that
    only CPU frequency and storage (RAM and HD) capacity matter.

    --
    Cheers, Bob

    Bob Willard, Dec 13, 2005
  13. Go Tyler

    name Guest

    Forget about price. There's one very good reason to build your own system,
    you learn an incredible amount about how a computer works. I'm a pc tech
    and one of the best things I ever did was to build my own system. The
    problems you encounter are the best things to happen that's were you learn
    not only how to solve the problem, but where to the find solutions.

    Stop thinking with your wallet and start thinking with your mind.

    john

    name, Dec 13, 2005
  14. Go Tyler

    mo Guest

    "Go Tyler" <> wrote in message
    >I just started looking at processors so I could build my own computer. It
    >seems to me that I would save money by getting a brand new computer off
    >Dell or Circuit City.
    >
    > When I looked at the prices of the 3.2 pentium processor I wanted, I could
    > not believe the price.
    >
    > Why is this so?

    also Bios support , most OEM use special Bios and some times MB with less
    futures . Once I bought an OEM MSI board that came with AMI bios while the
    retail one comes with Award Bios , I couldn't use a better more recent CPU
    since that OEM bios does not support it .
    also if you look at hardware prices you can build a $500.00 system that
    works , or a $5000.00 system with all the bells and whistles .

    mo, Dec 13, 2005
  15. Go Tyler

    Kimmy Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I just started looking at processors so I could build my own computer. It
    >seems to me that I would save money by getting a brand new computer off Dell
    >or Circuit City.
    >
    >When I looked at the prices of the 3.2 pentium processor I wanted, I could
    >not believe the price.
    >
    >Why is this so?

    You get what you pay for, when you buy one of those pre-built low end
    PCs, this is what you get.... a $2 keyboard with a $2 mouse and $3
    speakers, if you are lucky the case and PSU are worth $20 tops, 99% of
    the software that is pre-loaded is trial or share ware. They use the
    lowest cost parts where ever they can, in the end you got a PC!

    Good luck on whatever you decide, I'm building a A8N-E/4200+/6800GS
    system right now. :) I had a few pre-builts, their ok but just not for
    me anymore.

    Kimmy

    Kimmy, Dec 14, 2005
  16. Go Tyler

    DaveW Guest

    The completed computer manufacturers buy parts in the 10's of thousands so
    they get very good prices. But they buy lesser quality parts and somewhat
    underspec everything also to hold the price down to be competitive. In a
    home built system you are generally using all higher grade parts then they
    use. So you end up with a sturdier machine in many cases.

    --
    DaveW

    ----------------

    DaveW, Dec 14, 2005
  17. Years ago I bought 2 Gateways and tried to upgrade them. I found out they
    used the oldest MB with the fastest CPU it would support. Could not upgrade
    them. Also had nothing but problems with errors and locking up all the time.
    I have built 4 Asus computers and so far they are the best I have over had.
    Nice not to hit reset button all the time. (One Gateway did not even have a
    reset button) Had to power down to reboot.
    I gave some Asus computers away and they are still working good.
    Build your own and know what you have. Just research and take your time and
    you will have a good computer. This newsgroup really helped me out when I
    had a problem.

    Joltjocky

    Donald Witmer, Dec 14, 2005
  18. Go Tyler

    DDC Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I just started looking at processors so I could build my own computer. It
    >seems to me that I would save money by getting a brand new computer off Dell
    >or Circuit City.
    >
    >When I looked at the prices of the 3.2 pentium processor I wanted, I could
    >not believe the price.
    >
    >Why is this so?

    Because they put shit in the box and pray that it will not explode
    when powering up thier pcs. Also when you whant to play heavy game you
    need to get a descent card like a x800 pro or better and thaat add a
    300$ to your pc so...

    DDC, Dec 14, 2005
  19. Go Tyler

    Go Tyler Guest

    "name" <> wrote in message

    > Stop thinking with your wallet and start thinking with your mind.

    I don't build computers for a living, and most people don't. And most people
    don't have money to throw away. It seems to me I am thinking with my mind.
    In fact, I am using my mind to ascertain the cost-benefit ratio of either
    building my own computer or buying one online that already has what I want
    in it.

    Go Tyler, Dec 14, 2005
  20. Go Tyler

    name Guest

    Sorry, I wasn't at all trying to be insulting. What I would suggest then is
    that you know what you want to use your pc for and what kind of computer you
    need, so go to a manufacturer, see what parts they use, then price them out
    individually in, for example, "newegg.com". If the prebuilt system is
    cheaper then buying the parts individually and building it on your own then
    buy the prebuilt.

    Essentially, what I'm saying is you have to do a little research. For
    instance, if your a gamer, go to, for example, "alienware.com" check out
    their gaming rigs, what parts they use, and how much it would cost to build
    it yourself. You don't have to build your own pc, you can get a decent
    prebuilt pc. It's just that building your own you know exactly what your
    getting and you don't have to worry about a manufacturer who has used
    cheaper parts to save money.

    Again, I apologize for any indiscretion on my part and hope I have helped.

    john

    name, Dec 14, 2005