Windows XP White background desktop icons

Reaction score
Hi there :)

I have set one of my fave photos as my desktop wallpaper but since doing so, all of my desk to icons and text beneath the icons have jagged white edges/boxes around them. It looks scruffy and untidy, and its annoying me!

Its only a small thing but I was hoping someone can advise how to change this so that icons and text sit nicely 'on top' of my desktop wallpaper photo?

Many thanks,

Claire.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Can you try performing these steps to see if that fixes it?

Make sure that “Lock Web items on desktop” is unchecked. (Right click on desktop --> “Arrange Icon By” )

1) Right Click on “My Computer”
2) Select “Properties”
3) Advanced tab
4) Setting Button under Performance
5) Select the “Custom” Radial
6) Check “Use Drop Shadows for Icon Labels on Desktop Icons”

Reaction score
Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply. I have followed you instruction above and it does not make any difference? It may be worth noting that the "use drop shadows for icon labels on..." was already selected?

Any ideas?

Thanks once again :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Have you tried to put the old wallpaper back to see if the problem is just with your new wallpaper or if it affects all wallpapers .
?

user.gif

Reaction score
Have you right clicked on the desktop and go to apperance effects and have a look in there.

It might help.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
This is only a thought, but have you tried this?

Go to Control Panel > Advanced > Performance visual effects > Settings then select the radio button for "Let Windows choose what is best for my Computer."

Not very techie, but might be interesting to see whether it makes any difference :rolleyes:
:wave:

Ask a Question