Which Way To Go

Discussion in 'Windows XP Work Remotely' started by Barbara, Oct 25, 2004.

  1. Barbara

    Barbara Guest

    Hello,

    I am at a loss when seeing all of these terms.

    Which is the best way to go?

    I have a cable link, and Win XP Pro.

    If I want to remotely manage my machine across the Net, sort of like PC
    Anywhere, what would I look at ?

    If I wanted to connect to my PC via the Internet and log in like RAS used to
    allow in NT, what should I look at ?

    In other words, one way was just like sitting at the same terminal but from
    a remote location.

    The other way was to connect and simply have the drives and printers etc.
    seem as though they were local to the remote terminal.

    Given some basic advice I plan to RTFM's. I just feel lost since I've only
    been an end user up until now.

    Any help?

    Thanks.

    Barbara, Oct 25, 2004

  2. Answers "inline":

    Barbara wrote:
    > I am at a loss when seeing all of these terms.

    Gotta start somewhere...

    > Which is the best way to go?

    Give us more information before you ask the question. heh

    > I have a cable link, and Win XP Pro.

    That's great.. do you connect to the cable modem directly, so you get an
    external IP or do you connect to a router box that then gives you and IP
    which you use?

    > If I want to remotely manage my machine across the Net, sort of like
    > PC Anywhere, what would I look at ?

    Having Windows XP Professional, you could use the built in Remote Desktop
    features. A search in "Help and Support" on your own machine should give
    you enough information to get started. Then a Google and/or Microsoft Web
    page search would give you even more about terms you don't understand.
    After that, you could come here to ask your specific questions. (Note again
    that if you have a router connecting to your cable modem before your PCs,
    then you will have to configure that router as well.)

    > If I wanted to connect to my PC via the Internet and log in like RAS
    > used to allow in NT, what should I look at ?
    > In other words, one way was just like sitting at the same terminal
    > but from a remote location.

    You mean a VPN type connection? Or more like when you used (ouch)
    Netmeeting to remote into your NT boxes? Again - Remote Desktop..
    Otherwise, if you insist, use something like UltraVNC.

    > The other way was to connect and simply have the drives and printers
    > etc. seem as though they were local to the remote terminal.

    That's mapping drives.. That really has not changed..
    \\IP.Add.re.ss\sharename still works great, but is again complicated by
    routers and firewalls - appropriately. As you don't really want to share
    your C drive out to the world. The C$ and other administrative shares still
    exist. Remember, Windows XP is simply Windows NT 5.1.

    > Given some basic advice I plan to RTFM's. I just feel lost since I've
    > only been an end user up until now.
    >
    > Any help?

    Go through some of these articles:

    Get Started Using Remote Desktop
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/getstarted/remoteintro.mspx

    Frequently Asked Questions About Remote Desktop
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/mobility/rdfaq.mspx

    Focus on Windows Remote Desktop
    http://windows.about.com/library/weekly/aa020526a.htm

    --