Which processor?

Reaction score
I'm building a new PC and unfortunately am not really clued up on processors. I want to use AMD and have two in mind, but don't really understand which would be better for my use. They are AMD Athlon II X4 630 Socket AM3 Processor 2.80GHz 4x512KB Cache Quad Core 95W, and AMD Phenom II X2 550 Socket AM3 Processor 3.10GHz 6MB Cache Dual Core 80W, which are about the same price - £76 ish, and therefore in my mind, should be equal-ish in performance. I will not be using PC for games. I will be using it for Autocad, Photoshop, Sonar Producer Recording Studio, and the ususal CD/DVD authoring and burning.
Any advice would, yet again, be really appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
lemme see:

Contender One:

2.8Ghz
Quad core
4 x 512Kb cache (2Mb total)

Contender Two:

3.1Ghz
Dual Core
6Mb total cache

Both will handle Autocad, Photoshop and the audio recording studio effortlessly, the question is which one will handle video processing and rendering better?

And to be totally honest, I'm really not sure ;)

If it were me, I think I'd go for the quad core, 4 processors to my mind gives a better advantage for video processing than a faster clock speed and bigger cache.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
For about 14 years now I've been active in computer forums and must have seen a million posts where somebody gives a budget and a component requirement.

Sometimes they also give examples of product, as in this thread.

In 1996, as now, somebody will always suggest something more expensive.

Let me think about this - more money = better performance, that's not quantum physics is it?

Person asking for advice has stated budget and very probably realises more money will buy better performance but they want to stick to budget.

If money was not a concern here I'd recommend an Intel i7, it will outperform it's AMD equivalent.

But money probably is a concern.

Which is why I rarely make recommendations out of a suggested budget.

Sermon over ;)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
But wheres the fun in that, Flops? :D

Also - another vote for the quad core.

Reaction score
Thanks, it seems that a quad core would be "better" than a dual core for my needs.
Mike

Ask a Question