Votes: 19 2.6%
  • Other

Votes: 6 0.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My OSes

I found this one interesting! I voted everything but MacOS and Other.

I am presently using MSDOS 5, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista x64, and Windows 7 (32 and 64). The main Linux distro I use is Ubuntu, but I also use Xubuntu and Puppy on small computers. Those are the OSes that I am presently using. ;) (I won't mention all the ones that I have used!)

Reaction score
the poll shows XP has come a long way and error free. but i gt W7 ultimate n NO problems it uses less RAM n space to Vista.

Reaction score
I am currently Using Windows XP Pro, but I have used Linux(many different Distrobutions),Minnux, Beos, BSD and SunOS. But I'm currently looking at Menuete.

Reaction score
Quadophile said:
I have a triple boot system, WindowsXP, Linux Mint 7 "Gloria" and Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala".

I have a partition created exclusively for Home and it is shared by both Mint and Ubuntu which is great since when I upgrade any OS my personal files remain intact. With triple boot I can experiment with any distro without compromising my system and usability. If I am tweaking one distro the other is available for use till I have updated everything on newly installed distro. I am never in a hurry to get my system up and running as I am always having a complete distro tweaked for use. I do all of that with just a 40 GB hard disk in my IBM laptop. :D

I have puppy on a stick which comes handy for fixing other peoples systems, I also have Ubuntu Karmic Kaola on an 8 GB SDHC card used in a mobile USB card reader which works as a jump drive with my important files as a back up. Essentially as a fourth operating system ;)

Replace Ubuntu with SUSE and that's my (older but more reliable) desktop! I'm not the only one...

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
jwhiz said:
Replace Ubuntu with SUSE and that's my (older but more reliable) desktop! I'm not the only one...

Tell me in your own way why you think SUSE is better compared to Ubuntu?

Reaction score
More Multi

Quadophile said:
Tell me in your own way why you think SUSE is better compared to Ubuntu?

I'm not proud to admit that I've barely spent any time with SUSE - puzzled by eviga (?) encryption for email client, then was given newer Vista PC - urgh, but fought it to a draw just before starting statistics course with draconian proprietary software. I stayed with this computer as it is the fastest/ highest RAM machine at the moment.

I suspect that SUSE would make more sense to me if I had a place where I could experiment with networking again - I don't have room or outlets or the living quarters where I feel comfortable potting about with computers that aren't immediately available for school work and employment.

Old box is sitting right behind my chair until I can get my old monitor checked out, replace monitor or get a monitor switch - and have time to play - "SUSE things I don't understand" are high on the list of what I want to play with when I have time (and can see what I'm doing) on the triple boot machine.

I actually came to like XP, I certainly prefer it to Vista (and I own XP pro, I only have a Vista recovery disk I made myself, as the store didn't bother to give one to the buyer). Wasn't quite brave enough to put XP on 'new' pc in case there were no XP drivers for some onboard stuff (probably it would have been ok - added decent video card too). I'm strongly considering backing up files and putting XP on this machine, although I then lose the opportunity to (continuously?!) troubleshoot Vista when my stats course ends (only 'own' the software for 6 months. Yey free stats software, and learning to use 'R').

I screwed up my Mint install while trying to figure out how to do ClamAV things, was planning on updating it to next Mint - as a permanent noob, I enjoy the Debian based Ubuntu, Mint and other desktop user OSes. I still have issues with wanting my desktops to sleep/suspend, and playing my favourite PC games.Otherwise it's a blast finding out all the things Linux desktops do.

I have tried several Linux distros in the past, including Red Hat, Mandrake, Freespire and some weird little one-offs a decade ago, on a variety of very recycled systems.

I also prefer the smaller HDD sizes, and more than one hard drive in a system - the PC I will be using until the stats course ends has 1 giant (to me) HDD with two partitions. The multi HDD / multi boot thing with partitions visible to both Windows and Linux gave me a lot of flexibility and rapid file back up options, whichever OS I was using / playing with at any moment. The multiboot PC has two 40 GB HDD, and the Mac PowerBook has an 80 GB drive which I have never filled in 5 years, although I enjoy playing with graphics, video and sound (the joy of using a Mac for school work in my college courses doesn't need to be described to other Mac converts).

I would love to have a brand new Mac desktop with either of the real-time Windows apps installed for games. It's more realistic to look forward to a cheap laptop with Windows 7 on it if I have to replace a computer for work (the first paid work in nearly 3 years, and only for a few weeks) in the near future, in a hurry. If I ever get a new Mac, will be fun to experiment with Linux on old Mac (Darwine, etc.)

This doesn't answer your question, but maybe you'll get some grist for your mills from my OS ramble.
happywave.gif

Reaction score
My operating system is Windows XP Profesional

When I open my wireless network connection, I no longer
get a list of wireless networks in range, but get the
following message:

Windows cannot configure this wireless connection
If you have enabled another program to manage this
wireless connection, use that software.
If you want Windows to configure this wireless
connection, start the Wireless Zero Configuration (WZC)
service. For information about starting the WZC service,
see article 871122 in the Microsoft Knowledge Base on the
microsoft.com Web site.

Reaction score
PLEASE start your own thread & you will get the help that you want quicker!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
buks:

This question should be a fresh thread in the General Software part of the forum.

Any more posts here regarding your network query will be deleted.

Reaction score
I'm using dual boot setup running Windows 7 / XP SP3. I have to admit that XP is my preferred choice for a multitude of reasons.

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
Win7 Pro 64 Bit for me

V_R said:
Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate here, and love it. :)

I cant tell you how nice it runs on an SSD too. :D

Agreed V-R, Win 7 64 Pro on an SSD runs like lightening!

ps. Hello strangers! Been a long time since I stopped by to say hello ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
CITech said:
Agreed V-R, Win 7 64 Pro on an SSD runs like lightening!

ps. Hello strangers! Been a long time since I stopped by to say hello ;)

Good to see you again :wave:

I'm looking forward to my next system upgrade so I can get a nice SSD :thumb:. Think it will be a couple more years though unfortunately!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I'm looking forward to my next system upgrade so I can get a nice SSD :thumb:. Think it will be a couple more years though unfortunately!

A nice sized SSD and a terrabyte sized external drive with Firewire 800 or more for storage should do the trick :D

Reaction score
Windows XP, Windows 7, SBS2008, Mac OSX (SL) and Ubuntu

Those are what's on my personal machines anyway lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question