• Paypal / Nochex

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Online Shopping

Votes: 31 77.5%

• Total voters

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Which of these online activities would you feel comfortable using? More and more people use their card online, but are there any sceptics here?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Ian, you'll need to alter the poll ... I use all four, although I don't use e-bay much. :D

:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I buy computer parts, games, DVD's, CD's online.

I have used E-Bay, four times in 5 years, though something illogical makes me not trust it.

Heard too many bad things about Paypal/Nochex, so no.

Access bank and credit cards online for statements, current situation, but don't actually use online banking.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Ian, you'll need to alter the poll ... I use all four, although I don't use e-bay much. :D

:thumb:
It should allow you to tick all 4? :) I did too!

Reaction score
Spooky Mouse said:
I once used my card to buy some DVD's online..
Never again (Untill i see a bargin that is)
only thing is - the bargins - sometimes tend to be a rip off

if found many thing before - £10-15 cheaper than everywhere else - but the site looks dodge

i ticked the bottom 3 boxes - but i did try using bank of scotland online - but they handn't upgraded there site at the time - but i've had a few e-mails since then asking me if i wanted to start online banking ! - just never needed to yet.

Reaction score
Things can't be all bad online... I had just been to MFI to get an Intergrated Dishwasher... The salseman said this one is on offer and its a good machine that will fit where your fridge was... So i said yep handed my credit card over and they debited my account £599.00

I was so happy with the thought of getting a new dishwasher i thought that i would check out the model number on the Net for info and stuff...somthing to read.... well.. I only found the very same model for £320.00 and quicker delivery at Dealtime

Well im going to cancel MFI's Rip Off Machine before delivery... Looks like im going to be forced to buy online.. that is a real big saving and i'd have to be stupid not to go for it... just hate useing my card online

Sorry if i've mentioned this in another thread.. i think i have.. just cant remember where:)..

Reaction score
About using your card on line:

NEVER use Switch they don't cover you.

And check your credit card terms and conditions.

Some will protect you if your card is used fraudulently online some won't.

If yours doesn't move or get one for online use only. It's not worth risking it.

BigJay

Kingsize Crunchie
Reaction score
Have and do use all four, and not had any problems.
Online banking is very handy, and also a great source of cheap loans, and good interest savings accounts( much better than going into a bank)
I'm not to sure about E-Bay, paypal etc that I have used before, but I'm not sure about how safe it is, and you must be very careful about who and what you buy...It may look good on screen but....
And as for online shopping.If you stick to established companies, and use your credit card, not switch/solo ect(as mentioned above) you should be quite safe.

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Dear all

There was a very interesting discussion on Jeremy Vine's BBC2 show this week in relation to consumer security with online banking/purchases and the like and the main view which came across was not to worry too much, to trust your instincts, buy on recommendation and all the sensible stuff that you would apply when doing business in the high street. It all made quite good sense I thought.

In the not too distant future we will need to enter numbers ranndomly selected by some little gadget when making online purchases together with CC/Switch details (a la Chip and Pin). This will apparently make things even safer.

I have been with my online/telephone bank for years (since 1990) and never any problems whatsoever and I often buy on the net but as a previous reader suggested, always with CC for security and I try to really reseach sites/used trusted sites/recommendations etc..... Only been bitten once in quite a few years, but managed to resolve the problem.

Kind regards

Gabriella x

Ask a Question