Which of these can be removed/ways to make machine faster?

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have an old Dell Inspiron 9400 that I've had for a few years and has all my photos and music on it. It is soooooo slow...almost impossible to do anything on it so I've recently bought a new laptop and want to move the pictures and music to the new one, and also upload the pictures to Photobucket.

As it is so slow to do anything on the old machine I thought I'd run PC Decrapifier and Revo Uninstaller to see if there was anything I can do to speed it up a bit before moving stuff off it. I really don't know very much at all about computers so some help/advice/constructive criticism would be appreciated.

The following programs are ones I'm not sure about in the Revo run, please advise if I can get rid of them (I've left out ones I found in other posts on here that have been answered already):

Adobe Reader 9
Apple Software Update
Live Update Notice(Symantec Corp)
Microsoft.NET Framework 4 Client Profile
Microsoft Office Front Page 2003
Microsoft Silverlight
Outlook Addin Setup
QuickSet
QuickTime
Synaptics Pointing Device Driver (What does this work with?)

Also, I keep getting Norton and Symantec updates and requests on the machine however other than the Live Update Notice nothing about them appeared when I ran the Revo - how can I get rid of them??

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide,

A.

P.S. OS is Vista - is there anyway I can stop it from randomly shutting down to obtain and configure updates??

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Adobe Reader 9 - Uninstall install foxit reader
Apple Software Update - Use iTunes? If not Uninstall
Live Update Notice(Symantec Corp) - Loose nortons and install Microsoft Security Essentials this should then go.
Microsoft.NET Framework 4 Client Profile - Keep
Microsoft Office Front Page 2003 - Keep it if you use it
Microsoft Silverlight - Keep
Outlook Addin Setup Use outlook? If so maybe best keeping that too.
QuickSet - Never heard of it, ill look later.
QuickTime - keep
Synaptics Pointing Device Driver (What does this work with?) - Your touchpad on the laptop. :)

Also, I keep getting Norton and Symantec updates and requests on the machine however other than the Live Update Notice nothing about them appeared when I ran the Revo - how can I get rid of them?? - see above. :)

Replies above.

Reaction score
Replies above.

Holy crap that was fast :bow: thak you thank you!!

Working through those now.

Other question - there were some programs listed in the Revo run as MSXML, 5 of them...I googled and figured I could get rid of them and got through 3 before the laptop shut down for a windows update - when it restarted and I ran Revo again I'm no longer getting the option to delete the remaining two - should I just forget about deleting them or keep trying?

Reaction score
Holy crap that was fast :bow: thak you thank you!!

Working through those now.

Other question - there were some programs listed in the Revo run as MSXML, 5 of them...I googled and figured I could get rid of them and got through 3 before the laptop shut down for a windows update - when it restarted and I ran Revo again I'm no longer getting the option to delete the remaining two - should I just forget about deleting them or keep trying?

Seems to be letting me do it now..weird.

Any other ideas of things I can do to make the machine faster?

Ask a Question