Which Linux?

Reaction score
I've search LinuxOS on google and lots of different LinuxOS was found.
Among all the LinuxOS, which one should I use?
Is Linux better that windows?
Someone told me that Linux is hard to use, is it true?
Is it true that I can also create my own LinuxOS version? How?

Sorry! for my asking too many questions

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
which is best

Damn Small Linux which runs easily even on machines with just 32 MB memory..........
It takes up only 50 MB space on your harddisk in its uncompressed state..........
=======================================================
sridevi
a place where we can find all things..

wikimah

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
insensatez said:
I've search LinuxOS on google and lots of different LinuxOS was found.
Among all the LinuxOS, which one should I use?

Try PC LinuxOS; Linux Mint; Damn Small Linux; Suse; Mandriva.

I hear Linux Mint is the most user friendly, though I've never tried it yet.

Is Linux better that windows?

In some ways yes, in other ways no. It does work and it doesn't cost anything though. Biggest setback at the moment seems to be scant support for wireless networking.

Someone told me that Linux is hard to use, is it true?

In some aspects, yes. Most things you can do using the GUI but there's a learning curve attached to the console commands.

Is it true that I can also create my own LinuxOS version? How?

Yes, you can rebuild the kernel as Linux is open source. Not for novices though.

Reaction score
For New timers to Linux I always recommend Ubuntu

It's the simplist I have ever installed, possibly the easiest to use as well.

But I'll admit.... Suse will always have a place in me heart. :p

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Mandriva
Kanotix
Edubuntu
Damm Small Linux

Been playing with all the above and they are alll pretty easy to install and use.

Linux is great fun and pretty aswell as being free.I really like the Mandriva version.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Kanotix I am just burning it

it looks really nice and I am going to give it a go :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Enjoy playing with it on the live cd. If you decide to install then bear in mind it is quicker to partition your drive first whilst in windows with some partitioning software.
Me walkthrough is a bit messy on this subject. You will need about a,

10 to 15 Gb partition for the ( / ) main partition,
15 to 25 Gb and upwards for ( /home ) home partition,
1 to 2 GB for ( SWAP ) SWAP partition.

Put your GRUB at the begining of the drive you install Kanotix on. Best advice I can give is to put linux on its own drive. Mine run just fine of usb drives though internal drives will be faster.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
thanks def I will put linux on a totally different drive

i dont want to install grub on my windows drive
im actually testing all this out at work

installing windows first and then im gona install linux if i make a mistake at work test pc
no big problem
make it at home im in trouble.

then at work pc i want to install gnome or beryl to make it look good play around with it
the only problem is we use ati cards at work and they suck for this sort of thing
might take my nvidia in

i like the look of this os ill let u know what i think.

that partitioning is that default?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Its best to split your partitions at least as above so that if you crash then you do not loose your private files(thats the HOME)

You'll need somewhere around 8 to 15 GB for the MAIN partition. 15 GB and you can fit just about every bit of linux software ever invented in it, so thats probably overkill.

Make you HOME as big as you like. Mines at 25 GB but I am using 200 GB of stuff stored under windows.

SWAP partitions need to be around one and a half to two times your memory size, usually. This is a bit of a grey area for me and its hard to find up to date decent info on the subject. Seems like if you have too much swap then it can slow your pc down. Recon that if you have 4 GB of ram then you do not need a swap at all. Most of the stuff I read on it was for slightly older pc's and they generaly had less ram than we do.

Kanotix is quite neat and ~I'm pretty fond of it as it was me first penguin.

P.........P............PPPPPPPPPick up a penguin.

laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
oh dear today was pretty damn unsuccesfull

installing xp was a breeze i installed it on hd 0 (master)
and then installed fedora no problem.

I edited the menu.lst film in the /boot/grub location to make sure that XP worked in the grub boot menu
about the only success I got.

Then I wiped the drive to install UBUNTU I installed this to HD1 (slave drive) I even made sure the bootloader was installed to this hardrive so it wouldnt affect windows
damn it kept and saying error 17 can't mount drive. really annoying couldnt solve in the end

then I tried Kanotix. It looked wonderful on the live cd version few geezers at work liked it too
installing it seemed a breeze I did manual install, default installations too
one time nowt happened no grub no nothing, other time "partition don't exist"
by that time it was hometime

more testing to follow soon!

right now ive worked this much out
when i want to install linux proprly at home
im definetly disconnecting all my other harddrives i feel confident on editing grub to read my windows drive now

Reaction score
p.s I remember talking about swap file at work
the idea was that if it's a machine with less than 512mb then yes swap file to be at least double that

but if the machine has got 512mb + or 1gb no need for it to be double.

Three main partitions

/boot
/
/swap

still a little confusing but i'm learning

Reaction score
Fedora would be my solution installing this, partitioning the drives most easiest out of the three
the problem I got with Fedora is that it doesn't recognise my RAID controller so I have to stick the drive on to a primary or secondary IDE channel thus taking out my CDRW.

UBUNTU used to work at home but I messed up my XP MBR. So I wish to keep trying until I perfect this.

As for Kanotix aint tried that yet apart from using virtual machine and oh don't get me started on problems in that thing.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
You should not need to mess with anything to do with Grub.

Yuo have a pc with one hdd with XP on it.
Put in a second hdd, lets say its 40 GB.
Partition and format it, 15 GB ( / ), 24 GB ( /home ), 1 GB SWAP. #Like I said you can do this from the KKanotix cd but it takes a long time.
Boot from Kanotix cd.
When booted and loaded, opt for fresh install to hdd.
You should see two hdd, one with XP, and a 40 GB. Follow the prompts to set up the partitions as described above. Skip the formating if you have already done it before.
When it asks you to install GRUB. Do so at the begining of the 40 GB hdd, thats in the MBR of the 40 GB hdd.
Finish loading Kanotix.
Shut down pc.
Start pc and it should go straight into linux and eventualy give you a screen with,

Start Kanotix

Start Kanotix in safe mode

Start Windows

Or something like it. If you choose START KANOTIX you will get sent to Kanotix. If you choose START WINDOWS you should get booted into your XP enviroment.

No need to faffh and fanny around with any grub config files etc etc etc , yawns. See easy peasy.

Eat more fish and you'll soon be as clever as a penguin.

:p

Reaction score
eat more fish?
lol

one man's meat is another man's poison!

Well I'll play around with Kanotix tomorow
right now installing fedora on my virtual machine la di daaa

Reaction score
I haven't really used Linux, but I've seen it in use. I like Mandriva, with the Metisse Desktop. The fancy 3D effects are way better than Vista and should have been included in the OS.

Check it out! :thumb:

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Mettise and Compiz Fusion are included in the Mandriva 2008 Free DVD . I have seen pics of them but have yet to install them and use them. When I do I will include a walkthrough in me on going guide.

Penguins are slippery characters.

:D

Ask a Question