Which game?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a full price PC game and can't make up my mind which to buy between 2.

Fairly recently I picked up GTA V for the PS3 dead cheap, about £8 I think and played some, I got through the opening bank robbery bit. But as ever with console FPS games I found it damned difficult to aim and shoot with a controller, I'm just too set in my ways with keyboard and mouse.

So PS3 GTA V is going back to the shop for part-ex but it did seem like a good game. When GTA V was first published for PC I thought I'd wait til it came down in price from £40 but I'm still waiting and it's been out for ages now and it's still 40 quid.

So that's one choice and the other one, checking in at £35, is Mad Max.

Right now I can't afford both and it still smarts paying full whack for a game but I definitely fancy something new with a bit of life in it, been playing too many bland games lately.

So - which one?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
GTA V is £31 at the Humble store.

I'd go for Mad Max over GTA. However I have been fancying this at £14.99..

Road Redemption

Watch the video :nod:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I own Road redemption, it's a very amateurish remake of Road Rash and is, quite frankly, a bit rubbish.

I'm not really after a racing game, got quite a few of those - still playing Carmageddon Reincarnation which is quite good imo - but want something I want to keep coming back to with a good bit of action and gameplay in it.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I own Road redemption, it's a very amateurish remake of Road Rash and is, quite frankly, a bit rubbish.

I'm not really after a racing game, got quite a few of those - still playing Carmageddon Reincarnation which is quite good imo - but want something I want to keep coming back to with a good bit of action and gameplay in it.

Ta for the heads up about RR. What about Sniper Elite 3 ? :cool:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I've read really good reviews about Mad Max, but I've not played it myself. That being said I've heard the story isn't up to much!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ta for the heads up about RR. What about Sniper Elite 3 ? :cool:

Sniper Elite 3.JPG

I think that says it all ;)

Graphics are good, gameplays fair, it's really rather difficult and frustrating.

Worth buying if it's on sale and you have a lot of patience and don't mind getting killed a lot.

Sniper Elite 2 on the other hand, I really enjoyed and completed the game. Just the right level of difficulty imo, I did die a lot but it has that certain something that draws you back.

Sniper Elite 2.JPG

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I'm stuck in Sniper one, keep going back to try but am still stuck. Ha ha .

How about Arma 3 then. Loads of vehicles and guns to try out it seems and plenty of single player content. graphics look good from the vids I have seen.

:cool:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I don't know anything about Arma 3. I do have one of the earlier Arma games somewhere, it didn't hit the spot for me as I recall, it's a tactical game rather than action, similar to America's Army (free) the thinking man's warfare fest.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I will repeat that Sniper Elite 2 is good, I think you'd enjoy that one.

I may have to try that as I seem to have got stuck with no way forward in a lot of my games atm.

I am really upset with myself as I can not work out how to proceed in the Wallace and Gromit game. Maybe I should give up pc gaming and stick to playing myself at noughts and crosses with pencil and paper. :lol:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
FIFA 16 just come out, I hear you like sports games. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You attempting a funny? lol

I positively dislike sports and therefore by definition all sports games.

I was talking about sports with a mate last night and he was a bit gobsmacked to learn that I don't even know what offside is in football, so I'd have no chance with FIFA.

And those football management games? May as well have a game titled 'The administration duties of an English local council - the game'

Dull? I think so.

Now then - since learning that Mad Max uses the same sort of gameplay as Shadow Of Mordor and the recent Batman series, I'm definitely leaning towards GTA V.

Yes, I know it's old hat to you Mr V_R but just think - it will be new to me :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Haha, I thought that might get a good reaction. Made my morning that did. :)

I don't to sports games either, Football Manager is a borefest IMO. I do love my racing games though, currently putting Forza 6 on the XB1 though its paces - great game. :thumb:

GTA 5 is a damn good game, loads to do, a really great storyline, I had it on the 360 when it first came out and still bought and played thought it on PC, so it must be good as I rarely replay the SP on any game! :lol:

I hear the MP is decent now too, though I've not partaken in it. Also mods are a thing now I think.

Am tempted by Mad Max (Great film BTW!) But like you said the combat looks a bit meh.

If I had to pick between the two, its would be GTA5. Good time to buy it too as it should be pretty much bug free.

FWIW, If your wondering I switched between my wireless 360 pad for driving and the KB+M for moving shooting etc. Just put pad down and grab mouse and vice versa, works perfectly. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Right, sorted, GTA V it is then.

The weather is nice atm and I have a yen to trundle up to Berwick Street via DLR/Central Line to browse the two excellent vinyl record shops there, Reckless Records & Sister Ray.

So I just hope there's enough left in current account for Steam when I return :D

Thanks V_R.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Thats not really a new thing though is it, just look at Minecraft mods! I have to clean (read reinstall) an 8 year olds laptop because it was riddled with virus's thanks to MC mods he had been installing....

I see Mr FBS now owns GTA5. :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Thats not really a new thing though is it, just look at Minecraft mods! I have to clean (read reinstall) an 8 year olds laptop because it was riddled with virus's thanks to MC mods he had been installing....

I see Mr FBS now owns GTA5. :)

No idea about how new it is as I am not clued up on mods for games. Just saw the article and as it was current and topical I posted.

So Flop's will be wild driving and causing chaos soon then. :lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I don't usually go for mods in games unless they look really worthwhile, Skyrim threw up quite a lot of good stuff, freebie complete episodes which would probably have sold as DLC had they been compiled by a commercial company rather than a fan.

GTA V download is excruciatingly slow, it's now 23:17 and game is only at 52% :mad: Won't be playing this evening then, will probably leave machine on overnight to complete install.

And it does look as if my 3Tb games HDD is almost full now, gonna have to 'Delete local content' with those rubbish Steam games to free up space.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Oh, and just bought the one vinyl LP today from Sister Ray, a double compilation album 'As We Travel' which is a 2002 release of songs from sixties and seventies, been after this one for quite a while now so -result! Really quite a unique and well put together compilation - check it out ;) The sleeve says folk funk flavours and ambient soul

That's about right :)

Ask a Question