Which DVD MEDIA Do You Use?

Which DVD Media is your preffered choice?

• Sony

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maxell

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • TDK

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Verbatim

• Paradox

• Zero Defex

• Raitek

• Traxdata

• Intenso

• cdrmedia

• Others

• Total voters
Reaction score
As I am going to get my DVD Rewriter I am going to need to buy some DVD Media
some questions for everyone who reads this:

1. Which name and type of DVD Media do you use? (eg TDK -R , +R)
2. The speed of this medium ( eg 1X- 8X)
3. The cost of the spindle pack and the amount you get. (eg £15.00 for spindle pack of 25)
4. The place you got them from ( eg dabs,com or HMV!!!)

Any comments will be appreciated.
My budget is £10 - £15.

Today I went to Maplins nothing looked very good to me so i decided to get one DVD -R and one DVD -RW for £1.29 EACH! Not bad for the high street!

But I am hoping to find out some more from the likes of yourself! :)

Thanks

Last edited:
Reaction score
Datawrite DVD+R (4.7GB) Pack of 25, under £10 (Dabs)
Datasafe DVD+RW (4.7GB) Pack of 10, under £10 (Dabs)

Speed unknown.

Reaction score
well Datawrite beat Maplins for sure!!!
i will consider Datawrite then!
thanks

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I use this place mostly, they've been good:

Neo

They have some nifty little 'DJ' silver CD cases as well, I've bought a couple of the 200 ones, they're good.

As I only have a 4 speed DVDRW atm, I haven't bought anything faster than 4 speed. I always use -R format, no particular reason, really.

I only use Ritek Purple & Verbatim, I've had to throw away whole spindles of Datawrite Red & Orange, they just wouldn't work with my Pioneer A106 DVDRW.

My rule of thumb is don't pay more than 50p per disc.

I also bought plastic DVD cases from Neo, single, double, triple & quad, they're cheap.

Also, Office World are actually doing some good deals on spindles of DVD-R's atm, worth taking a look if there's a branch near you.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I have been using TDK media since last 35 years and have come to depend on them more that any other brand. I had bought Maxell also when I got the DVD Writer in both formats DVD+R as well as DVD+RW and found them to be OK.

TDK media that I bought recently is as follows:

TDK DVD+RW

TDK DVD+R

Go for the fastest one you can and also if I were you I would stick to DVD+ format unless you have a problem at your end due to incompatibility with home players. If you own DVD players which are relatively new (1-2 years old) the likelyhood is they will be OK on them. The + media is better than - media. There are many articles on the web which you can refer to if you like but I have read them and convinced enough to go for the + media only.

Try to stay away from bargains which are too good to be true, stick to good brands like TDK, Maxell, Verbatim etc which are what I would personally recommend since I have had no problems with them. Also be careful of getting known brands from unknown sources as they can be fake and totally useless in the long run especially if you plan to archive something.

I hope this helps.

Reaction score
thanks guys ill take that DVD +R advice, never knew about neo will look hardcore into em too.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
The + media is better than - media. There are many articles on the web which you can refer to if you like but I have read them and convinced enough to go for the + media only.
That's interesting. In the early days of DVD burning it was generally reckoned that the -R format was better and more compatible with home DVD players. Now I'm definitely confused :confused:

I haven't had problems playing back my burnt -R DVD's, might just try me some +R format ones.

I wouldn't mind seeing some of the articles which favour +R, but only if you have them to hand Quad, don't go searching just for me, it's not really that important ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
psd99 said:
i used to get my CD R's from this company : www.cd-rmedia.co.uk
i read abt them in this pc mag long time back ordered from em coupla times well impressed!
Yep, I've heard good reports about that company, I know people who've used them but I haven't ordered from there myself yet - I still have about 70 Verbatim discs to get through ;)

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Yep, I've heard good reports about that company, I know people who've used them but I haven't ordered from there myself yet - I still have about 70 Verbatim discs to get through ;)

lol oh yer?!

i got around 200 cd's from them in 8 months got about 60 odd left!!!

got the blue cd-rmedia.co.uk cd's they r 52 speed and when i got em it worked out as being 16p a cd! never experienced any problems with either the CD's or the company itself Touch wood!!!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I wouldn't mind seeing some of the articles which favour +R, but only if you have them to hand Quad, don't go searching just for me, it's not really that important ;)
No problems here, I knew you to be always curious about things and how can I not oblige you. :D

Why DVD+R(W) is superior to DVD-R(W)?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hmm, OK, I'm all grooved out on me wobble and pits now ;)

Some interesting reading and yes, I did actually understand most of it.

I do notice that the article is some 18 months old now, but I suppose the technology is still relevant.

Right, OK, I may as well switch to +R format, nowt to lose, all to gain, it would seem :)

I'll just use these 70-odd Verbatim -R disks up first though, which should take a month or two.

Thanks for the link Quad, apreciated :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Well it did not take much to convince you, eh? I am glad to be of assistance always :)

By the way I never bought the -R disks because when I bought my first DVD drive I had read this article during my research for various things and from the day one I have been using the +R disks. All my home players supported this format from day one so actually I had nothing to loose. ;)

Reaction score
I always use datwweite and datasafe, and I have heard people say they like to use the ones with Ritek Dye.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I've used virtually every make and type of CDR under the sun, and the best one that i found is these newish Verbatim DatalifePlus . The quality of them is great, they have a layer of plastic coating on top of the disc to stop it from scratching, which is always a problem with CDR's. And 100 for £18 is excellent.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Reefsmoka said:
I've used virtually every make and type of CDR under the sun, and the best one that i found is these newish Verbatim DatalifePlus . The quality of them is great, they have a layer of plastic coating on top of the disc to stop it from scratching, which is always a problem with CDR's. And 100 for £18 is excellent.
No doubt, Verbatim are one of the best out there! Depending on availability I pick TDK or Verbatim whenever I am in the market for acquiring media.

Ask a Question