Which Antivirus do you use at present?

What AntiVirus do you use at present, and Why?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
And you, my friend, are a fool.
He is your friend. :confused:

We all know what he is though ... :D

oops, I don't use an AV program either

Reaction score
Heheheh, I knew that remark would cause controversy.

But hey - I never use anti-virus software, I spend 2 to 5 hours a day on my PC (mostly on the internet), and I haven't had a virus in well over 2 years. At least, as far as I am aware. I get occasional spyware, but I can't recall any damage being done or any privacy particularly infringed by malicious programs.

My methodology is simple: Remain aware of what/where you download, install service packs/updates, check whether or not you can clearly SEE a file is a bit dodgey before you double click it, make sure you DON'T use internet explorer as a browser, keep a firewall on, and obviously don't let kids or idiots use your PC, that always helps.

Besides, I'm sure companies like Norton and McAffe probably try to make you as paranoid as possible anyway - its how they make money. Hell, Microsoft probably COULD make a much safer version of windows if they liked, they probably just don't wanna kill off the antivirus industry! Those hackers are FEEDING FAMILIES.

Perhaps.

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
???

tomsega said:
Anti-virus software is for wimps..
Without wishing to sound offensive in any way, have you taken leave of your senses?:eek:

Do you really put your faith in service packs etc.?:confused:

I suppose your machine could well be infested as we speak, but without a scanner, how would you know?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
tomsega said:
Heheheh, I knew that remark would cause controversy.

You call that controversy?

You think you're the first one to voice such a view?

You think you're so damned clever?

You're unoriginal, cynical, foolish and beginning to stick in my side.

I've known people with Broadband connections and a firewall become infected within five minutes of loading a fresh OS and plugging in their network cable.

Anti-virus systems are for wimps are they?

I've got my eye on you pal.

Reaction score
HA! I've struck a nerve, and I apologise.

I always forget how a playfully sardonic tone, as I intended to imply in that statement, doesn't always translate as intended on the other end.

Obviously, it must sound quite condescending of me to effectively make the statement 'if you know what you are doing, you won't get a virus'. That's only relevent if, like me, you are a fairly conservative and boring surfer. I don't venture into more personally owned sites, and I also don't download anything except media - like mp3's or mpgs - obviously someone who downloads lots of applications from non-corporate/offical sites would be more susceptible to 'accidently' downloading something else.

Certainly, as much as I boast I don't use antivirus software, my firewall is still offering me much protection - as my one hides my PC, making me (mostly) invisible on the net. I would assume if I didn't have THAT running I would have probably gotten a virus by now.

Still, I maintain the opinion that viruses are pretty easy to avoid, and that there is a somewhat over-hysterical paranoia over the issue of them - at least for the single home user. That is all.

Last edited:
Reaction score
well i use Norton and its really good has never let mne down and tells me when it needs to update if i were u id get Norton its really good and easy to use!!!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Shooter said:
well i use Norton and its really good has never let mne down and tells me when it needs to update if i were u id get Norton its really good and easy to use!!!

Um, what to say whilst managing to stay polite... :lol:

I'm keeping quiet I think :eek:

Reaction score
Norton 360 on 2 laptops, and after reading a bit about AVAST, now trying that out on my desktop..

Reaction score
AVG all the way!! :) I've had it on all my PC's over the past few years , hasn't let me down yet *touches wood* also it's free whoo!! lol, personally I don't Norton - and plus it's rather expensive. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question