Which Antivirus do you use at present?

What AntiVirus do you use at present, and Why?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I am changing my tune.... I have tried Avast the last few days on my main system that I use at home for playing games, browsing the internet, finances, etc and there is noticable difference in performance between it and McAfee 8i Enterprise. I was using McAfee because it was free to me and provided (required) by my office to log in and work from home from time to time. I thought that I would try it on my personal stuff first. Quality. I really like the fully customizable options for scans and updates and everything else I can dream up. What I really like is that it immediatly found a virus on my friends laptop that he brought over for a quick tune up. I talked him in to trying it last night and walla! It found a couple nasty email trojans an cleaned them immediatly. Incidentally, Norton 2003 (Up to date on engine and dats) skipped right over these nastys. I will be installing this on my laptop that I use when I am on by back porch when it is nice out and the PCs that I use on my test bench in my home office. I will still need to keep McAfee on my work laptop but that is OK.

In addition to Avast, I am running Adware SE and MS AntiSpyware beta. Avast really meshed will with both of them where as McAfee sometimes complained and stepped on their toes.

Thanks for the tip guys! I will add more commentary as I go along here.

Reaction score
Antivir The Real Freeware

I Am Using Antivir Because Of The Gpl. It Can Be Burned And Given To Friends And Installed On All Your Pc's. It Seems To Find Most Trojans Also. I Tested It With My Collection Of Hard To Scan Trojans That I Have Saved On A Cd. I Was Using Agv But It Didnt Find As Many Pest.

I Copyed Antivir To A 1g Usb Drive And It Works On Every Pc That Its Plug Into But It Will Not Update On The Usb Dirve So I Copy And Paste The Updated Files Into It.

The I.t. Guys At My Campus Say It Ok To Scan The Pc's With My Usb And It Finds Removes Alot Of Pest.

The Antipest And Freeware Man.

Reaction score
I use

I Use McAfee because I get to use it free through my University, when I had to buy the software I elected to buy Norton (the whole suite). However, for the record my greatest anti viral protection comes from using Linux and virtual machines, not using unfamiliar storage media, being more conservative than Margaret Thatcher when it comes to email, and just secret powers handed down by the ancients .

Carpe Datum

Reaction score
i use many anti virus progs: mcaffee, norton, and antivi.
But for me mcaffee is the best!!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Here's one reviewer that thinks Antivir is the best free AV program.

And they also confirm what I've been saying about Nortons for years.

Still convinced Nortons is best?

Here's an excerpt from the short article:

Desktop Antivirus
Although none of the Antivirus was perfect, some did stand out from the pack for their scanning ability, performance and ease of use:
  • AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic 6 found the most viruses; Virus Buster Pro 2005 found the least
  • Norton 2005 is ironic - much like viruses, it brings down to its knees even the fastest computers! A true resource hog!
  • AVG Pro is overrated, in my opinion - so many people talk to me about this antivirus but it never really performed well for me, as the test shows
  • Kaspersky 5 revealed that when it comes to Trojans, exotic and rare viruses, Kaspersky is the leader of the pack. It found some that none of the others did
  • PC-cillin 2005 found more than almost any other desktop antivirus programs; it performs very well but could be a little faster when scanning. It's been performing great ever since I started doing these tests over 3 years ago
Full article Here

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Kaspersky 5 revealed that when it comes to Trojans, exotic and rare viruses, Kaspersky is the leader of the pack. It found some that none of the others did

... and on other virus "test" sites, is the leader of the pack also. :thumb:

Too many people want something for nothing, well you pays your money and ... :rolleyes:

There is another "problem" ... people are under the impression that a Virus Scanner is all they need ... at least with KAV you have a better chance of stopping some of the other nasties. :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Kaspersky was reasonably priced as well.

I've been using Antivir around nine months now.

Thoughht I'd try the Kaspersky on line checker. Total 230Gb hard drive space took 66 minutes to do. Attached pic shows results.

Attachments

• kaspersky.jpg
    kaspersky.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 143

muckshifter

Reaction score
I've been using KAV now for about 6months ... but I did think KAV's online scanner did remove, shame if doesn't but as the 'Trial' version does, not a bother I suppose.

Flopps, I can't remember when I actualy last seen a "virus" ... Trojans and other Nasties, yes, but then I'm pretty boring as to what/where I go on the Net. ;)

There is a lot more to KAV than most AV's, and you can't fault how many 'updates' you can get in a day ... and best of all, it is only using 2,144k of my system processes. :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Flopps, I can't remember when I actualy last seen a "virus" ... Trojans and other Nasties, yes, but then I'm pretty boring as to what/where I go on the Net. ;)

Me neither, oddly enough. And not all the places I visit online might be considered 'boring' ;)

Antivir is updated regularly as well, mostly every day and sometimes twice within a 24 hour period.

And you can't beat for free when it comes to finances ;)

But yes, were I to have no free option, I'd go Kaspersky for sure.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Me neither, oddly enough. And not all the places I visit online might be considered 'boring' ;)

Antivir is updated regularly as well, mostly every day and sometimes twice within a 24 hour period.

Tried Antivir today did freeze my PC? removed it after update so SSSSSLLLLLLoooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww?:eek:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:

Tried Antivir today did freeze my PC? removed it after update so SSSSSLLLLLLoooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwww?:eek:

Well, did it freeze your PC? A little unclear there.

Slow? Maybe, takes about 15 minutes to scan my 230Gb worth of disks.

But it's always active and stops Trojans as well. Just browse some certain websites and you'll get pop up windows warning you that they are trying to install some nasties. Antivir provides several options then, default is 'Deny Access'.

I've always found Antivir to be good, and I don't give praise lightly.

And I assume when you installed Antivir you uninstalled your old AV program first?

And just out of interest, what AV program are you running atm?

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Well, did it freeze your PC? A little unclear there.

Slow? Maybe, takes about 15 minutes to scan my 230Gb worth of disks.

But it's always active and stops Trojans as well. Just browse some certain websites and you'll get pop up windows warning you that they are trying to install some nasties. Antivir provides several options then, default is 'Deny Access'.

I've always found Antivir to be good, and I don't give praise lightly.

And I assume when you installed Antivir you uninstalled your old AV program first?

And just out of interest, what AV program are you running atm?

I uninstalled both AVAST and AVG [offline] rebooted

Then installed ANTIVIR it was very slow! Updated [online of course]

Rebooted and did a scan 120 Gig 45Mins, nothing was found! Then began to use programs word/fotofix and wallop froze? nothing at all? Rebooted very slow tried other programs froze again ho; I thought what’s this then?

Uninstalled ANTIVIR rebooted and all was fine opened the programs aforementioned no problem! I then went through the process again installed ANTIVIR it was very slow! Then began to use programs froze! So out it came reinstalled AVAST and AVG

Whoosh no problems???

muckshifter

Reaction score
Avast & AVG ... :confused:
Nowt as strange as people themselves. ;)

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Avast & AVG ... :confused:
Nowt as strange as people themselves. ;)

Works for me have had AVAST :thumb: installed for can’t remember it is so long ago?

And have never [touch wood] had a virus! Installed AVG Nov last year no problems even with the two running, now I find the better of the two is AVAST.

As the latter will find Trojans/viruses Etc: that AVG does not and vice versa but AVAST will update quicker.

I also use Ccleaner/Spybot/Ad-Aware even with all running no problems.

“Strangers in the night” da da da da dum.:p

;)

Reaction score
i just installed the zonealarm suite with its virus/spyware protection.
And therefore i am now using the zonealarm virus-protection.

Anyone other using it?? How do u find this Zonealarm protection? Better than macaffee/norton??

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
McAfee User

McAfee Security Suite 7.0.

Seems to do everything that I need it to, and it works a damn side faster than Norton when you open files etc. At least they have fixed an unpublicised problem with the inclusive firewall which mean it wouldn't work with Sony Ericsson phones which were configured to sync with Outlook.

The good news is now it does work, but because McAfee never admitted there was a problem in the first place, they now can't publicise the fact that they have fixed it!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I use Avast as its free , easy to download and use . Runs in the background all the time and updates itself nearly every day that I am on line . You can do an indepth scan also with various choices of what to scan etc . I like their philosophy , they give the anti virus tool away free to home users to help combat threats and make their money from companies . Been using it for two years now and never had any problems .

Also have Ad-Aware 6.0 and Spybot search and Destroy installed but not running , as I run them once a week at different times to avoid conflicts , usually set them to run whilst making tea and toast . All of these are free and seem to keep my pc clean and trouble free .
Have the AOL Spyware Protection and the free MacAffe Firewall running too as they are freebies with the AOL package .

daveydoom

Trusted Advisor
Reaction score
AVG Free edition for me. I've had very good luck with it. I've also tried avast! and AntiVir. ALl good progams IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question