where to get WordPad for Windows 98?

Paul

t@t@. said:
I'm trying to find WordPad for Windows 98. Is it version 3.0? I tried at the
Microsoft site and couldn't find anything, and haven't been able to find it
anywhere else either. Can anyone suggest someplace?

Maybe try a group like microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion ?
That's where the win98 people hang out.

My copy of wordpad.inf shows a bunch of files would be needed
to install wordpad.

; WORDPAD.INF
;
; This is the Setup information file to install WordPad
; as an Optional Component.
;
; Copyright (c) 1993-1995 Microsoft Corporation

So it isn't just a matter of having someone email you a copy of
""%24%\%PROGRAMF%\%ACCESSOR%\WORDPAD.EXE""" or the like. It would
have to be a complete set of files, or a CAB or something.

When files come on an OS installer disc, there isn't much reason
for Microsoft to offer them for download. The closest you get
to such a service, is a Technet subscription. You'd be better
off looking for a Win98 disc on Ebay, to get the file set needed.

Microsoft has offered "Microsoft WordView" over the years, with
the purpose being, to allow people to view/read but not
author Word documents. I use that on this computer, when
the occasion arises. It might be a bit easier to find an older
version of that, than Wordpad itself.

Paul

I'm trying to find WordPad for Windows 98. Is it version 3.0? I tried at the
Microsoft site and couldn't find anything, and haven't been able to find it
anywhere else either. Can anyone suggest someplace?

Jeff Strickland

I'm trying to find WordPad for Windows 98. Is it version 3.0? I tried at
the
Microsoft site and couldn't find anything, and haven't been able to find
it
anywhere else either. Can anyone suggest someplace?

It comes with Win98. You have to re-install.

Why would anybody want Win98? I get that you like the graphic interface, but
you can install XP and retain the interface. Of course, XP is gonna go out
and look for Updates that will utterly kill your perephials -- printer,
scanner, and so on. But, Win98! Seriously. You need to get with the '90s.

Shaun

"Paul" wrote in message
t@t@. said:
[...]

You could check electronic recycling depots, that is where your OLD computer
belongs.

Shaun

Mike Easter

Shaun said:
Paul

You could check electronic recycling depots, that is where your OLD
computer belongs.

Shaun

Shaun, notice that your email application which you are using to post to
a usenet group does not work properly here.

WLM Windows Live Mail is completely unsatisfactory for conversing on
usenet because it has lost the ability to quote the previous material
which ability was present in OE Outlook Express and its successor WM
Windows Mail, which could be used satisfactorily for such purposes.

If you want to use a MS proprietary app to read and post to usenet, you
should use Wimdows Mail, not WLM.

If your OS is Win7, WM did not come installed by default as it did in
Vista, but it can be reinstated, it is just a certain amount of trouble.

Personally I would use something else; but in either case, it should be
WM or something else. WLM is not an option.

Jon Danniken

t@t@. said:
I'm trying to find WordPad for Windows 98. Is it version 3.0? I tried
at the Microsoft site and couldn't find anything, and haven't been
able to find it anywhere else either. Can anyone suggest someplace?

You might try Cetus WordPad; it's pretty much the same thing, with the
addition of a spellchecker.

http://www.cetussoft.com/cwordpad.htm

Jon

Jeff Strickland

Years ago I decided to make documents using Notepad and WordPad since
they're on
every PC, so I could open them on any PC without any problem. Microsoft
was on
to that idea apparently, so they changed WordPad so it would NOT open
WordPad
documents any more. Why was that clever of them? Just because it screwed
everyone who had put trust in them? Or was it clever for some other
reason(s)
too, like it would screw people into paying more money for something like
Office
that they didn't want to buy except for the fact that they're screwed out
of
being able to open their older documents because Microsoft deliberately
screwed
them so they would have to buy Office.... So I hoped I could get an old
version
of WordPad to open my old documents with. Now I'm finding we're screwed
there
too, and that would explain why you can't just go to Microsoft and
download a
program to get off their cock with...still screwed... There has to be a
solution, but I'm really getting tired of spending hours of my online time
just
trying to get back to be able to open docs I had no problem opening before
Microsoft screwed us. It's pretty much the same as it would be if they
screwed
us with a virus, and I really do NOT want to pay them extra for doing it.

Is there something free that would open them, and make new documents as
easily
as WordPad did/does where you can just paste in .jpgs and enter text, and
can
carry around on a thumbdrive so when you get on a computer that doesn't
have
that program you'll have it right there?

WordPad creates RTF (rich text file, or rich text format) files that support
bold, italics, and underline -- as well as other formatting features -- that
NotePad does not support.

You can visit OpenOffice.org and get FREE OpenOffice. This free office suite
can open and edit rich text, spreadsheet, and presentation files. I do not
use it, but have installed it for my neice, so I can't say that it will open
database files or not. Since database files can be made with the MSoft
Office Suite, and OpenOffice is a free product targetted to pull people away
from MSoft, then it stands to reason that there is a database application.

I can't imagine that a current version of WordPad will not open an RTF file
created with an earlier version of WordPad. Something does not add up here.
But whatever... You can get OpenOffice for free, and open & create new RTF
files.

Krypsis

[...]

Why not try http://www.liberkey.com/en/

It's a suite of portable applications that does not need to be installed
into windows specifically. They can run quite happily on a thumbdrive. I
have the entire suite on my harddrive, thumbdrive and an external hard
drive. The suite is up to 309 applications now which can service most of
your utility needs.

Worth a look

Krypsis

Krypsis

[...]

I think OpenOffice or LibreOffice are way too heavy for the users needs.
Abiword is much lighter and very nice to use. I prefer it for my general
work. As an aside, all the programs/suites above are available as
portable apps under the LiberKey menuing system and will run from an
external drive / thumbdrive with no problems and do not need to be
installed into the Windows system registry. Definitely a plus.

You could also go to this site; http://portableapps.com/apps
It too has portable applications either separately or as a suite. I
initially used this site but found the menuing system of LiberKey way
superior and much easier to use than this one. Updating is a breeze now
on the LiberKey site as well, enhancing the ease of use.

I am sure that the OP will find something light, easy and, most
importantly, portable that will fit his needs.

Krypsis

Krypsis

You might try Cetus WordPad; it's pretty much the same thing, with the
addition of a spellchecker.

http://www.cetussoft.com/cwordpad.htm

Jon
This isquite a neat little program. I installed it but will it run as a
portable app from a thumbdrive? Also, will it open the olw wordpad
format .wri files? I think these are the files he needs to open rather
than .rtf format files.

Krypsis

t@t@. said:
Is there something free that would open them, and make new documents
as easily as WordPad did/does where you can just paste in .jpgs and
enter text, and can carry around on a thumbdrive so when you get on a
computer that doesn't have that program you'll have it right there?

AbiWord will open them and is free and portable.

Mac Cool

:
Is there something free that would open them, and make new documents
as easily as WordPad did/does where you can just paste in .jpgs and
enter text, and can carry around on a thumbdrive so when you get on a
computer that doesn't have that program you'll have it right there?

Have you tried Google Docs? Not sure if it will open the old Wordpad files
but it stores your documents online and you can access or edit them from
any computer.

Shaun

--
Mike Easter

Bitch Bitch Bitch over little details that don't really matter to those
except the very anal types.

I did try to get WM, it would not work on Windows 7 from what I've read.
Thanks for trying.

later,

Shaun

To the OP - Buy a new ****ing computer with an antivirus program and get
with the times. Don't waste out time with Windows 98!

Patrick

Shaun said:
"Mike Easter" wrote in message

Shaun, notice that your email application which you are using to post
to a usenet group does not work properly here.

WLM Windows Live Mail is completely unsatisfactory for conversing on
usenet because it has lost the ability to quote the previous material
which ability was present in OE Outlook Express and its successor WM
Windows Mail, which could be used satisfactorily for such purposes.

If you want to use a MS proprietary app to read and post to usenet,
you should use Wimdows Mail, not WLM.

If your OS is Win7, WM did not come installed by default as it did in
Vista, but it can be reinstated, it is just a certain amount of
trouble.
Personally I would use something else; but in either case, it should
be WM or something else. WLM is not an option.

Pardon, did you say something !

:)

Paul

Bitch Bitch Bitch over little details that don't really matter to those
except the very anal types.

I did try to get WM, it would not work on Windows 7 from what I've read.
Thanks for trying.

later,

Shaun

The details do matter. Why ? By posting your reply before a
..sig mark, your reply cannot be replied to. It doesn't get quoted
properly. To make this message, I had to:

1) Copy and Paste Shaun's reply from below the .sig from the original post.
2) Move all the quote marks over one, manually, with the editor.
3) Hope that I didn't mess up quoting by doing this.

I recommend Thunderbird as a newsreader client, which has proper quoting.
It's a good, basic newsreader. The only real trick with Thunderbird, is
ticking the "always request authentication" box, for usage with news servers
that have a username and password, as then, Thunderbird will prompt you
the first time for the username and password. Via caching, it won't pester
you every time after that.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

You can also set the "port number", according to whether you want the
stream to be encrypted to the server or not.

If you need further help, a search of the web will have an illustrated
guide for setup. I've found such guides, for setting up Thunderbird,
on some university IT sites for example. Even the news server main web
site, sometimes has primers on it, to help clients set up their
favorite reader program. The first time you use Thunderbird, it may be
a bit daunting, I don't deny that.

I like using separate tools for separate functions. One tool for mail.
Another tool for USENET. By doing so, there is never a danger I'll
forward a "letter from mom" to alt.flame :) This kind of thing does
happen occasionally, when people do both USENET and mail, within the
same tool.

Good luck,
Paul

VanguardLH

Patrick said:
Pardon, did you say something !

:)

Yeah, the noob thinks anything of his post placed AFTER the signature
delimiter line was seen by others (who typically configure their
newsreaders to strip out the fluff, like signatures).