    partition, I don't find any utility by these names. What can I do/use to rip
    GRUB out of my MBR?

    Thanks.

    Guest, Jun 14, 2007

    Jane C Guest

    It's on the Vista DVD.

    How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to
    troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows Vista:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392/en-us

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    MVP Windows Shell/User

    Jane C, Jun 14, 2007

    Don Guest

    ocicat wrote:
    > I had successfully configured BCD to dual-boot Vista with OpenBSD, & it
    > worked great, but I made the mistake of installing Ubuntu which in turn
    > installed GRUB. At this point, I'd like to get rid of GRUB. Searching both
    > these communities & the Internet reveals either a bootsec.exe or fixmbr.exe
    > which might clean up my MBR of whatever GRUB wrote, but as I look on my Vista
    > partition, I don't find any utility by these names. What can I do/use to rip
    > GRUB out of my MBR?

    Before you follow Jane's advice, you need to decide if you plan to
    continue multi-booting between Windows and non-Windows OS's.

    If you plan to keep any non-Windows OS on your machine you should
    *keep* GRUB because it will let you do that easily, whereas it's
    more complicated to use the Vista MBR.

    I use GRUB to multi-boot between Vista, XP, OpenBSD, linux, etc with
    no problems at all.

    Don, Jun 15, 2007

    "Don" wrote:
    > If you plan to keep any non-Windows OS on your machine you should
    > *keep* GRUB because it will let you do that easily, whereas it's
    > more complicated to use the Vista MBR.

    For anyone else reading this thread, it's not difficult to use BCD to
    multiboot non-Windows OS's through Vista. Here's a how-to that I wrote up
    for the OpenBSD community:

    http://www.freebsdforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48405

    To boot Linux using BCD requires copying the appropriate partition boot
    record (PBR) as described in the link above.

    Guest, Jun 16, 2007