where does xp remember passwords

Discussion in 'Windows XP Security' started by Guest, Feb 1, 2004.

    When xp asks do you want me to remember your password after you type it in to access a web site, where does it store them as my computer seems to have stopped displaying them. HELP PLEASE.

    Guest, Feb 1, 2004

  2. If you deleted Internet Explorer's "cookies" files, that would explain
    why your passwords are not available when visiting a particular
    website. You'll have to re-enter the password when prompted to
    do so. If you forgot the password, then look for support help on
    that particular web page.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    -

    Carey Frisch [MVP], Feb 1, 2004

    pauly [MSFT] Guest

    Hi Nathan,

    To modify your settings for the AutoComplete feature including password
    suggestions, follow these steps in Internet Explorer:

    1. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.

    2. Click the Content tab.

    3. Click AutoComplete.

    4. Click the appropriate AutoComplete check boxes:
    [Web Addresses]
    [Forms]
    [User Names and Passwords]
    [Prompt me to save passwords]

    5. Click OK, and then click OK.

    NOTE: if your passwords were cleared accidentally you will need to build
    the list up again.

    =========

    Windows XP Security Homepage:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/security/default.asp

    Windows 2000 Security Homepage:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/security/default.asp

    Top 10 Windows Newsgroups Security Questions:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/newsgroups/default.asp?url=/technet/newsgro
    ups/nodepages/sectop10.asp

    =========
    Paul Hayes, MCSE
    Product Support Services
    Microsoft Corporation

    --------------------

    pauly [MSFT], Feb 1, 2004

    Hi Carey

    Please help me ..

    I lost some passwords after having some work done on my PC (Win XP Home)
    How can I find a password if it belongs to an admin .php page I use to manage my website
    Is this stored anywhere on my computer ?

    Help ..

    -Mik

    Guest, Feb 8, 2004
  5. Probably not. It's on you PC only if:

    1. you put it there, say in a document (a good thing to do, probably).
    2. saved as a cookie by the application (but then it might be encrypted).

    Hope this is useful to you. Let us know.

    rms

    Rob Schneider, Feb 8, 2004