Where can I buy a NEW smaller hard drive?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Paul, Mar 27, 2011.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > I have a computer that still runs Win98se and I use it for storage. I
    > presently have two 40G IDE drives on it. I want to get a bigger HD to
    > replace the slave drive. I know Win98 has limitations, which appears
    > to be 128gb. I'm looking for a NEW drive, 80, or 120 gb. Possibly a
    > 160 (I wont be able to access all of it). It must be IDE.
    >
    > All the new drives sold seem to be 500gb or larger. I did find a
    > website that sells REFURBISHED drives, but I dont think I'd trust
    > them.
    >
    > Where can I buy a NEW smaller drive and at a good price.
    >
    > NOT EBAY - - - I WILL NOT USE EBAY.
    >
    > Thanks

    There is a SATA 80GB for $36 here.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=22-148-231

    Then, you'd want an IDE to SATA adapter. This one is $12.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812270269

    The connector types, give some hint as to whether the thing
    converts in the correct direction. The black part plugs right
    in to the back of a SATA drive. The blue part is for your
    ribbon cable. It could be, that this unit is "Master", so sometimes
    the issue is that you have trouble using two of these on the same cable.
    Some of these things, have a "Master" and a "Slave" jumper, which
    allows more than one on the same cable. This particular product comes
    with a Molex 1x4 to floppy power connector adapter cable, as the
    adapter needs power. And the adapter power, feeds through the SATA
    power connector pins (the fifteen pin section).

    http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/12-270-269-Z01?$S640W$

    http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/12-270-269-Z05?$S640W$

    Not all of those adapters are winners. You have to read the
    reviews carefully, before purchasing.

    So for $48 total, you have the start of a solution.

    Paul

  3. Paul

    John McGaw Guest

    On 3/27/2011 4:56 PM, wrote:
    > I have a computer that still runs Win98se and I use it for storage. I
    > presently have two 40G IDE drives on it. I want to get a bigger HD to
    > replace the slave drive. I know Win98 has limitations, which appears
    > to be 128gb. I'm looking for a NEW drive, 80, or 120 gb. Possibly a
    > 160 (I wont be able to access all of it). It must be IDE.
    >
    > All the new drives sold seem to be 500gb or larger. I did find a
    > website that sells REFURBISHED drives, but I dont think I'd trust
    > them.
    >
    > Where can I buy a NEW smaller drive and at a good price.
    >
    > NOT EBAY - - - I WILL NOT USE EBAY.
    >
    > Thanks

    Go to 'amazon.com' then go to 'electronics' and then enter 'ide hard drive'
    into search and take a look at what shows up. It has your 160gB. It has
    120gB, It even has an 80gB but since it is a 2.5" drive you will need an
    adapter but the adapter is right there too. A quick glance showed me IDE
    drives ranging from 40gB up to 1gB but I didn't look too hard after the
    first few.

    John McGaw, Mar 27, 2011
  4. Paul

    GT Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I have a computer that still runs Win98se and I use it for storage. I
    > presently have two 40G IDE drives on it. I want to get a bigger HD to
    > replace the slave drive. I know Win98 has limitations, which appears
    > to be 128gb. I'm looking for a NEW drive, 80, or 120 gb. Possibly a
    > 160 (I wont be able to access all of it). It must be IDE.
    >
    > All the new drives sold seem to be 500gb or larger. I did find a
    > website that sells REFURBISHED drives, but I dont think I'd trust
    > them.
    >
    > Where can I buy a NEW smaller drive and at a good price.
    >
    > NOT EBAY - - - I WILL NOT USE EBAY.
    >
    > Thanks

    CCL sell them. Dabs sell them. Amazon sell them. Google shopping tab brings
    loads up if you search for "120gb IDE"

    GT, Mar 28, 2011
  5. <> wrote in message

    >I have a computer that still runs Win98se and I use it for storage. I
    > presently have two 40G IDE drives on it. I want to get a bigger HD to
    > replace the slave drive. I know Win98 has limitations, which appears
    > to be 128gb.

    The Win98 size limit is 132 Gb, but preformatted HDDs are not
    subject to this limit. You can connect a 500 Gb HDD via USB
    and manage it normally under Win98.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Don Phillipson, Mar 28, 2011
  6. Paul

    Guest

    On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 08:15:56 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
    <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have a computer that still runs Win98se and I use it for storage. I
    >> presently have two 40G IDE drives on it. I want to get a bigger HD to
    >> replace the slave drive. I know Win98 has limitations, which appears
    >> to be 128gb.

    >The Win98 size limit is 132 Gb, but preformatted HDDs are not
    >subject to this limit. You can connect a 500 Gb HDD via USB
    >and manage it normally under Win98.

    Wow, you just answered a question I have had for ages. I bought a
    320gig USB drive formatted with Fat32, plugged it in and I could read
    the whole thing in Win98. Then I bought another 350gig drive (another
    brand), formatted with NTFS. I didn't want NTFS for Win98 use. I
    have never been able to format it to Fat32 as one partition. I
    finally spit it into 3 partitions, and did the formatting with
    Win2000.

    , Mar 29, 2011
  7. Paul

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 08:15:56 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> I have a computer that still runs Win98se and I use it for storage.
    >>> I presently have two 40G IDE drives on it. I want to get a bigger
    >>> HD to replace the slave drive. I know Win98 has limitations, which
    >>> appears to be 128gb.

    >> The Win98 size limit is 132 Gb, but preformatted HDDs are not
    >> subject to this limit. You can connect a 500 Gb HDD via USB
    >> and manage it normally under Win98.

    > Wow, you just answered a question I have had for ages. I bought a
    > 320gig USB drive formatted with Fat32, plugged it in and I could read
    > the whole thing in Win98. Then I bought another 350gig drive (another
    > brand), formatted with NTFS. I didn't want NTFS for Win98 use. I
    > have never been able to format it to Fat32 as one partition. I
    > finally spit it into 3 partitions, and did the formatting with
    > Win2000.

    FAT32 partition size is a Microsoft-imposed arbitrary limitation. (they want
    you to use NTFS.) Format with something like Acronis Disk Director (or any
    freeware disk manager), even from within Windows, and the size limit goes
    away.
    --
    Shaun.

    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

    ~misfit~, Apr 11, 2011
  8. Paul

    John McGaw Guest

    On 4/11/2011 9:09 AM, ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Somewhere on teh intarwebs wrote:
    >> On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 08:15:56 -0400, "Don Phillipson"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> <> wrote in message

    >>> The Win98 size limit is 132 Gb, but preformatted HDDs are not
    >>> subject to this limit. You can connect a 500 Gb HDD via USB
    >>> and manage it normally under Win98.

    >> Wow, you just answered a question I have had for ages. I bought a
    >> 320gig USB drive formatted with Fat32, plugged it in and I could read
    >> the whole thing in Win98. Then I bought another 350gig drive (another
    >> brand), formatted with NTFS. I didn't want NTFS for Win98 use. I
    >> have never been able to format it to Fat32 as one partition. I
    >> finally spit it into 3 partitions, and did the formatting with
    >> Win2000.

    > FAT32 partition size is a Microsoft-imposed arbitrary limitation. (they want
    > you to use NTFS.) Format with something like Acronis Disk Director (or any
    > freeware disk manager), even from within Windows, and the size limit goes
    > away.

    There is an excellent program

    http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/fat32format.htm

    which does the job for me. It is command line and is as simple as anything
    could be but it is fast. I've used it on all of my external 400gB backup
    drives for the sake of compatibility across operating systems.

    John McGaw, Apr 11, 2011