When is USB2.0 really USB2.0

Deon H

Hi there,

WinXP Prof SP2 with latest updates.

I have a BLAZE HDD Enclosure which states to be USB2.0

I have just bought me a MECER, HI-Speed USB 2.0 Host PCI adapter.

When I plug the cable of my External HDD into one of the newly bought
Host Adapter's ports, I get a message that the device will work faster
on a high speed adapter. I thought I have bought one. When I installed
this adapter, it took drivers from WinXP.

I am really desperate for your help.

How can I know if my newly bought USB2.0 adapter is really USB2.0?

Regards,

Deon H

Jim Macklin

Delete all USB hubs, ports and devices with device manager.
Reboot and the USB will be detected and the correct drivers
installed.

| Hi there,
|
| WinXP Prof SP2 with latest updates.
|
| I have a BLAZE HDD Enclosure which states to be USB2.0
|
| I have just bought me a MECER, HI-Speed USB 2.0 Host PCI
adapter.

| When I plug the cable of my External HDD into one of the
newly bought
| Host Adapter's ports, I get a message that the device will
work faster
| on a high speed adapter. I thought I have bought one. When
I installed
| this adapter, it took drivers from WinXP.
|
| I am really desperate for your help.
|
| How can I know if my newly bought USB2.0 adapter is really
USB2.0?

| Regards,
|
| Deon H

Deon H

Jim,

I have done as you have suggested without any success. I still get the
message that the device will perform better on a USB2.0 device.

Apart fom what you have suggested, what can I do to check if the device is
USB2.0? I have just finished formatting my HDD and will do it again just to
make these cards work correctly.

Regards,

Deon

GTS

In device manager a USB 2 will include the word Enhanced.
e.g. mine shows NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller (B1)
If it doesn't show that, perhaps you should check the specs on your
motherboard. If you're machine does not support USB 2 you can buy a
relatively inexpensive PCI card to add USB 2 ports.

Deon H

Hi again,

I think this HDD Caddy is confused. When I click on the ballon to view a
list of available high speed devices, all of them are there.

Just to make sure, I took my Varbatim 1GB flash disk which is USB 2.0 - My
PC accepted it as being a USB 2.0 device.

My question still would be: How can I be sure?

Regards and thanx!

Deon

Jim Macklin

You did plug it into the new PCI card, the USB ports that
were on the computer originally are still hardware limited
to USB 1.1.

| Jim,
|
| I have done as you have suggested without any success. I
still get the
| message that the device will perform better on a USB2.0
device.

| Apart fom what you have suggested, what can I do to check
if the device is
| USB2.0? I have just finished formatting my HDD and will do
it again just to
| make these cards work correctly.
|
| Regards,
|
| Deon

Dan

True, I use USB 2.0 in 98SE through a third party as well as natively
supported in XP PRO. I have a dual-boot 98SE and XP PRO. machine in Fat32
and NTFS for XP PRO.

"GTS" <x> wrote in message : In device manager a USB 2 will include the word Enhanced.
: e.g. mine shows NEC PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller (B1)
: If it doesn't show that, perhaps you should check the specs on your
: motherboard. If you're machine does not support USB 2 you can buy a
: relatively inexpensive PCI card to add USB 2 ports.
: --
:
: : > Hi there,
: >
[...]

Thanx to all of you who have replied.

Through all the advice you gave, I have managed to get it working and it is
USB 2.0.

Thanx again for your prompt help.

Deon