  1. When I try to print, "Save XPS document window" appears. Even thoug I save
    the file in *xps, the document will not print. Using Office XP in Windows XP.
    Started when I uninstalled all of Office and reinstalled just WORD.

    Printing Error with XPS, Aug 20, 2009

  2. Printing Error with XPS

    Scott M. Guest

    You need to setup a default printer. Word is trying to "print" to an .xps
    document, rather than your actual printer.

    Scott M., Aug 20, 2009

  3. Printing Error with XPS

    Robert Guest

    On Thu, 20 Aug 2009 14:08:01 -0700, Printing Error with XPS wrote:

    > When I try to print, "Save XPS document window" appears. Even thoug I save
    > the file in *xps, the document will not print. Using Office XP in Windows XP.
    > Started when I uninstalled all of Office and reinstalled just WORD.

    ´.xps¡ files are like ´.pdf¡ files. They are neither read nor printed from
    Word. Word can only create (save) them through a very special ´printer
    driver¡.
    If you want to actually print your document from Word, save it as a ´.doc¡
    or ´.docx¡ file first.
    If you save your document as an ´.xps¡ file, you have to open it in the
    dedicated application first, i.e. Internet Explorer. And print it from
    there, not from Word.
    HTH.
    --
    Cheers
    Robert

    Robert, Aug 21, 2009
  4. Robert,

    I reckon Scott M. is on the right track. The way I read the it, the OP only
    saved the file in .xps format _after_ trying to print it. The behaviour
    described looks to me like Word is trying to print to the "Microsoft XPS
    Document Writer" - possibly because there are no other printers installed
    or because it has been set as the default.

    I've run into similar situations when setting up a new computer. If I
    install Word before I set up a printer, the "Microsoft Office Document Image
    Writer" gets set as the default printer. Then if I install a printer and
    forget to set it as the default, Word continues to use this "printer" until
    someone complains and I go in and change it.

    While it's true that you can't print (as in hardcopy print) .xps or .pdf
    documents directly from Word, you can certainly "print" _to_ .xps or .pdf
    from within Word - and the dialog that's presented when you do this is a
    "Save" dialog. It's bloody confusing because it's not consistent; you don't
    'save' in some sort of '.paper' format when you print them on a printer, so
    why should you 'save' when you "print" them to .xps or .pdf?
    --
    Cheers!

    Gordon Bentley-Mix
    Word MVP

    Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup.

    Read the original version of this post in the Office Discussion Groups - no
    membership required!

    Gordon Bentley-Mix, Aug 21, 2009
  5. You "save" to PDF or XPS because Word requires a filename for the new
    document that results from the conversion to PDF or XPS format.

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Aug 21, 2009
  6. Printing Error with XPS

    Robert Guest

    On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 15:29:33 +1200, Gordon Bentley-Mix wrote:

    > While it's true that you can't print (as in hardcopy print) .xps or .pdf
    > documents directly from Word, you can certainly "print" _to_ .xps or .pdf
    > from within Word - and the dialog that's presented when you do this is a
    > "Save" dialog. It's bloody confusing because it's not consistent; you don't
    > 'save' in some sort of '.paper' format when you print them on a printer, so
    > why should you 'save' when you "print" them to .xps or .pdf?

    Hi Gordon,
    What I personally find confusing is that a command that doesnÿt actually
    print anything is called a ´print to¡ command. It would stand to reason to
    name it as a ´save to¡ or ´convert to¡ command. Especially as a new file is
    actually ´created¡ (or ´saved¡) in the ´.xps¡ format.
    When we are supposed to ´print to .xps¡, nothing gets printed at all. If a
    ´.xps¡ document is to be ´printed¡ at all, it has to be opened in the
    dedicated application (viewer) and actually ´printed¡ from there. This
    cannot be done from MS Word. Word only saves the document under the chosen
    name and format.
    I personally would much prefer having commands that print named as
    ´printing¡ commands, and commands that only ´save¡ named as ´saving¡
    commands.
    --
    Cheers
    Robert

    Robert, Aug 21, 2009
  7. Printing Error with XPS

    Graham Mayor Guest

    I can understand the confusion, but as far as Word is concerned the process
    is 'printing'. The fact that the active driver outputs to a file and not to
    paper is really immaterial as Word has no way of establishing the output
    format of the active driver. It merely directs the document to it for
    processing. Indeed any 'printer' driver can be directed to a file.

    --
    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>
    Graham Mayor - Word MVP

    My web site www.gmayor.com
    Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org
    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<>

    Graham Mayor, Aug 21, 2009
  8. Printing Error with XPS

    Jay Freedman Guest

    I think this is another case of the technologists at MS being apparently
    unaware of what is understood by the non-technologists among their audience.
    Just because the software that does the job is technically a "printer
    driver", that's no longer a reason for the UI to say that what it does is
    "printing". If most people think of making a PDF file as "saving", then
    that's how it should appear. Software in general, and Office in particular,
    is already loaded with plenty of these "little white lies".

    --
    Regards,
    Jay Freedman

    Jay Freedman, Aug 21, 2009
  9. Printing Error with XPS

    Robert Guest

    On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 15:29:03 +0300, Graham Mayor wrote:

    > The fact that the active driver outputs to a file and not to
    > paper is really immaterial as Word has no way of establishing the output
    > format of the active driver.

    Hi Graham,
    I am sure that the MS Word developers know perfectly well what is going to
    happen to the file that is ´printed to the .xps driver¡. As a matter of
    fact, for the corresponding ´printer¡ name, they did not use something like
    ´Canon MP140 Series Printer¡, but actually ´Microsoft XPS Document Writer¡.
    This is clear recognition that no actual printing is involved. A ´Document
    Writer¡ cannot ´print¡ to a file, it merely ´writes¡ (or creates¡) a text
    to a file.
    --
    Cheers
    Robert

    Robert, Aug 21, 2009
  10. Well, Word 2007 does use the term "Publish" rather than print when you use
    its own PDF creator, but if you choose Adobe PDF as the printer, then you're
    "printing."

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill
    Microsoft MVP (Word)

    Suzanne S. Barnhill, Aug 21, 2009
  11. Printing Error with XPS

    ProfSchiavo

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    My document is not from PDF or other format. I typed it directly into Word. I do not lack a default printer. My regular printer is identified as the default. I'm running Win 7(64) and keep my system clean with the standard scan products.

    When I try to print, I get the save-as dialog, set up for an xps file. I cannot print. I'm not sure which "valuable update" initiated this handy behavior but I'm sick of it and eager to find a fix for it, if anyone would kindly address it. It's maddening; but then, you know that, having observed it yourself.

    Many thanks for any useful help.
    PS

    ProfSchiavo, Oct 7, 2011