When I delete a message, Outlook jumps to the first message why?

John D. Carmack

If I get 100 messages, I want to start with the oldest and work my way up to
the top. I have Outlook set to "open previous item" in the Options for
"After moving or deleting an open item". As long as I receive no email
during the time I am working, if I delete or move the email I am reading, it
goes to the previous as expected.

However, if I receive an email while working on an email, then it jumps up
to the new email when I delete the email I am reading. This is getting
pretty frustrating, as I then have to scroll down over 50 messages to get
back to where I was! Why is it doing this?

Joined
Feb 23, 2015
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I have a similar issue with Outlook 2013. I have a folder with hundreds of emails in it. I read/delete these sorted from oldest to newest. When I delete 2 in a row, the highlight goes down to the most recent unread message. How can this be fixed? Never had this problem before 2013.

does it work the same if you sort by oldest messages on top?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:
mailto:(e-mail address removed)

mailto:(e-mail address removed)

newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

"John D. Carmack" <(e-mail address removed)> wrote in message
news:(e-mail address removed)...
> If I get 100 messages, I want to start with the oldest and work my way up
> the top. I have Outlook set to "open previous item" in the Options for
> "After moving or deleting an open item". As long as I receive no email
> during the time I am working, if I delete or move the email I am reading,
> it
> goes to the previous as expected.
>
> However, if I receive an email while working on an email, then it jumps up
> to the new email when I delete the email I am reading. This is getting
> pretty frustrating, as I then have to scroll down over 50 messages to get
> back to where I was! Why is it doing this?

Joined
Feb 23, 2015
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I do have the oldest messages at top. When I delete two unread messages in a row the highlight jumps to second to last email at bottom.

When sorting by oldest on bottom there is no problem.