    if there is a default setting that needs to be changed to correct this
    problem? I can't use my computer this way, it is driving me nuts.

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

    Guest, Jul 2, 2007

    I neglected to say that I used my Windows XP Professional Disk to reformat my
    hard drive.

    Guest, Jul 2, 2007

    V Green Guest

    Since you wiped the slate clean, and started over,
    you have lost whatever video card driver you had.

    The reinstall probably installed a "generic" unoptimized
    video driver with low performance.

    You need to find out what kind of video hardware you have
    and download a better driver for it from the manufacturer's website.

    V Green, Jul 2, 2007

    Nightowl Guest

    Debi <> wrote on Sun, 1 Jul 2007:

    >I had a virus on my computer and could not get rid of it so I had to
    >reformat the hard drive. I used my Windows Prof disk to do this and after it
    >was finished installing, I noticed that when I click on a dialog box Title
    >Bar and drag it across the screen, the movement is not smooth at all like it
    >was, it is now very "jumpy" like it is trying to catch up. Does anyone know
    >if there is a default setting that needs to be changed to correct this
    >problem? I can't use my computer this way, it is driving me nuts.

    Hi Debi

    I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but you could try right-clicking
    on My Computer and choosing Properties, then Advanced, then under
    Performance, choose Settings. On the Visual Effects tab, if "Show window
    contents when dragging" is checked, uncheck it, click Apply and OK. Does
    that make any difference?

    --
    Nightowl

    Nightowl, Jul 2, 2007

    Rock Guest

    "Debi" <> wrote
    > I'm not sure if this is where I need to ask this and I apologize if it is
    > not
    > right.
    >
    > I had a virus on my computer and could not get rid of it so I had to
    > reformat the hard drive. I used my Windows Prof disk to do this and after
    > it
    > was finished installing, I noticed that when I click on a dialog box Title
    > Bar and drag it across the screen, the movement is not smooth at all like
    > it
    > was, it is now very "jumpy" like it is trying to catch up. Does anyone
    > know
    > if there is a default setting that needs to be changed to correct this
    > problem? I can't use my computer this way, it is driving me nuts.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

    Have you reinstalled all the drivers: Motherboard chipset, video card,
    mouse, sound card, etc?

    --
    Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

    Rock, Jul 2, 2007
  6. "Debi" <> wrote in message
    > I'm not sure if this is where I need to ask this and I apologize if it is
    > not
    > right.
    >
    > I had a virus on my computer and could not get rid of it so I had to
    > reformat the hard drive. I used my Windows Prof disk to do this and after
    > it
    > was finished installing, I noticed that when I click on a dialog box Title
    > Bar and drag it across the screen, the movement is not smooth at all like
    > it
    > was, it is now very "jumpy" like it is trying to catch up. Does anyone
    > know
    > if there is a default setting that needs to be changed to correct this
    > problem? I can't use my computer this way, it is driving me nuts.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

    After you formatted and reinstalled XP, did you also reinstall the
    motherboard drivers and the video drivers, in that sequence?

    Your description suggests that this was not done.

    HTH
    -pk

    Patrick Keenan, Jul 2, 2007