    i add a new user in XP, set them but cannot see any of the programs that were
    available to the other users on the box (i have a person that went on mat
    leave). I know something needs to be done - but what?

    Allan, Nov 25, 2008

  2. Allan

    Leonard Grey Guest

    Re: when adding new users - how do you allow them access to programse

    This is a question for your network administrator, who is responsible
    for deciding who has access to what programs.
    ---
    Leonard Grey
    Errare Humanum Est

    Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine

    Leonard Grey, Nov 25, 2008

  3. Allan

    Malke Guest

    Allan wrote:

    > i add a new user in XP, set them but cannot see any of the programs that
    > were available to the other users on the box (i have a person that went on
    > mat
    > leave). I know something needs to be done - but what?

    Mr. Grey's advice is applicable if you have a company machine. If you are
    talking about a home computer, then:

    1. Many programs offer the choice during their installation routine to
    install for all users or just for the current user. If you chose the
    latter, you will need to uninstall/reinstall the programs and make the
    correct choice during reinstallation.

    2. If you chose the former (or weren't offered a choice), then you are
    probably referring to a lack of shortcut icons to those programs on the
    users' Start Menus. You can easily add them. Right-click on their Start
    button and Explore All Users. You will see all the Start Menus for all the
    users on the system, including yours. Just copy the programs' shortcuts
    from your Start Menu to theirs.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP