What's wrong with this?

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Franc Zabkar, Oct 19, 2009.

  1. Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar Guest

    Franc Zabkar, Oct 19, 2009

  2. Franc Zabkar

    Arno Guest

    Arno, Oct 19, 2009

  3. Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar Guest

    On 19 Oct 2009 06:44:55 GMT, Arno <> put finger to
    keyboard and composed:

    >Franc Zabkar <> wrote:
    >> Here is a screenshot out of an Asus motherboard manual (page 59):
    >> http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/SATA1_ST320413A.jpg

    >> Something seems wrong about it ...

    >> Asus M2N-X manual:
    >> http://dlsvr04.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socketAM2/M2N-X/e3147_m2n-x.pdf

    >Hmm. That they are using a very old ATA disk?
    >
    >Arno

    It's a parallel ATA drive connected to a SATA port. I know it can be
    done using SATA-PATA interface cards, but why?

    - Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar, Oct 20, 2009
  4. Franc Zabkar

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Franc Zabkar wrote:
    > It's a parallel ATA drive connected to a SATA port. I know it can be
    > done using SATA-PATA interface cards, but why?

    I'm using those devices here myself, on a couple of old 200GB and 300GB
    IDE drives, which I've converted to SATA. The main reason for doing that
    is because there is a dearth of IDE connections these days with newer
    motherboards. They supply maybe just one IDE port for a couple of
    master/slave optical drives, these days.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Oct 27, 2009
  5. Franc Zabkar

    Arno Guest

    Yousuf Khan <> wrote:
    > Franc Zabkar wrote:
    >> It's a parallel ATA drive connected to a SATA port. I know it can be
    >> done using SATA-PATA interface cards, but why?

    > I'm using those devices here myself, on a couple of old 200GB and 300GB
    > IDE drives, which I've converted to SATA. The main reason for doing that
    > is because there is a dearth of IDE connections these days with newer
    > motherboards. They supply maybe just one IDE port for a couple of
    > master/slave optical drives, these days.

    I have basically phased out IDE for normal operation, but I still
    have 5 or so IDE drives that I use for experiments and today
    they are typically attached to SATA via converters I bought during
    the transition phase.

    Arno
    --
    Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email:
    ----

    Arno, Oct 27, 2009
  6. Franc Zabkar

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Arno wrote:
    > Yousuf Khan <> wrote:
    >> Franc Zabkar wrote:
    >>> It's a parallel ATA drive connected to a SATA port. I know it can be
    >>> done using SATA-PATA interface cards, but why?

    >> I'm using those devices here myself, on a couple of old 200GB and 300GB
    >> IDE drives, which I've converted to SATA. The main reason for doing that
    >> is because there is a dearth of IDE connections these days with newer
    >> motherboards. They supply maybe just one IDE port for a couple of
    >> master/slave optical drives, these days.

    > I have basically phased out IDE for normal operation, but I still
    > have 5 or so IDE drives that I use for experiments and today
    > they are typically attached to SATA via converters I bought during
    > the transition phase.

    I've also mentioned that miraculously somehow when using these IDE
    drives in SATA form, one of the drive's spin retry count problem went away.

    Yousuf Khan

    Yousuf Khan, Oct 28, 2009
  7. Franc Zabkar

    Arno Guest

    Yousuf Khan <> wrote:
    > Arno wrote:
    >> Yousuf Khan <> wrote:

    >>> I'm using those devices here myself, on a couple of old 200GB and 300GB
    >>> IDE drives, which I've converted to SATA. The main reason for doing that
    >>> is because there is a dearth of IDE connections these days with newer
    >>> motherboards. They supply maybe just one IDE port for a couple of
    >>> master/slave optical drives, these days.

    >> I have basically phased out IDE for normal operation, but I still
    >> have 5 or so IDE drives that I use for experiments and today
    >> they are typically attached to SATA via converters I bought during
    >> the transition phase.

    > I've also mentioned that miraculously somehow when using these IDE
    > drives in SATA form, one of the drive's spin retry count problem went away.

    > Yousuf Khan

    Black Magic! ;-)

    Arno

    Arno, Oct 28, 2009