What's the point of MAPILab?

Guess Who

I was very interested in MAPILab, as I thought it was the answer to my
prayers, but it doesn't seem so.

I was able to set it up ok, and subscribe to newsgroups, but forget about
trying to get the messages. First off, I thought it would allow downloading
only headers. The first time I tried it, everything was being downloaded
into my inbox. I had about 3000 headers in my inbox before I cancelled it.

So Now, I just reinstalled XP and everything, I figured I'd give it another
go, I set up the news account, subscribed to groups, but when I try to
download the messages, it downloads EVERYTHING, at maybe 1 message per
second, and takes FOREVER to get anything. Messages aren't threaded, and
trying to cancel retrieval of news messages still leaves it running in the
background, where I have to manually kill the Outlook process and reboot.

It doesn't make sense to download all messages in every subscribed group
from a news server, especially the MS groups which frequently contain many
thousands of messages. And on my paid news service (giganews), I subscribe
to about 2 dozen groups, many binary groups.

I just wish that, for those of us who DO want it, they would integrate an OE
style news reader into Outlook. It's not only corporate environments that
use Outlook. If that's the belief, then why is Windows Messenger installed?
I didn't understand why all the new DELL machines my company got for us, all
have Windows Messenger installed and enabled.

Alexander Gorlach

Hi,

regarding the headers: unfortunately, it is Outlook limitation (all
headers must be placed in Inbox only), I'll add a note to the Wizard.

MAPILab NNTP doesn't download everything, only about last 300 messages
from newsgroup (as it specified in options). Threading works fine, you
may contact to our support to solve this issue.

Outlook will never as good as Outlook Express for news, because it have
a lot of limitations for 3rd party software developers. But we have
create the great product, the best possible. MAPILab NNTP offers the
same possibilities to Outlook users as Microsoft Exchange Server.

Alexander Gorlach,
MAPILab Ltd. -- Must have Outlook add-ins
http://www.mapilab.com/

Guess Who

I really do like the interface and integration with Outlook. I may just have
to get used to the it works as opposed to Outlook Express. I will agree
with you that it is the best product out there for NNTP in Outlook. The
others I've tried come nowhere near MapiLab. I just wish it were as easy as
OE.

Actually, maybe threading does work once all the messages are downloaded,
but I subscribe under 3 news servers, a total of about 50 news groups all
together, and it just took too long for me to let it complete.

It would be easier if you could just download the messages in a single group
that you want to view. Is that possible, instead of downloading all the
messages from all your subscribed groups on a server?