Whats Happened?

Discussion in 'Windows XP New Users' started by tom-n, Nov 24, 2005.

  1. tom-n

    tom-n Guest

    tom-n, Nov 24, 2005

  2. tom-n

    Malke Guest

    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/iron_maiden_360/clip_image002.gif]

    > And why do my desktop shortcuts have dark grey boxes around them, they
    > never used to.
    >
    > Thanks for the help!

    The blue filenames indicate that the files are compressed. They were
    compressed during Disk Cleanup. You do not need to worry about this.

    To remove the "dark grey boxes" around your shortcuts:

    Open the System applet in Control Panel, choose the Advanced tab, and
    click Settings in the Performance section. Turn on the "Use drop
    shadows for icon labels on the desktop option", and click OK.

    Four things are required for transparent icon backgrounds:

    1) System Properties>Advanced>Performance Settings>VisualEffects - check
    "use drop shadows for icon labels".

    2) Right-click on Desktop ->Arrange Icons by>Lock Web items must be
    cleared.

    3) If you have any web content on your desktop, transparency won't work.
    To check for web content: Display Properties>Desktop>Customize
    Desktop>Web - make sure all checkboxes are clear.

    4) Wallpaper must be an image file, not html.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Nov 24, 2005

  3. tom-n

    Kath Adams Guest

    tom-n wrote:
    > Why are some of my filenames in blue? [image:
    > http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/iron_maiden_360/clip_image002.gif]
    >
    > And why do my desktop shortcuts have dark grey boxes around them, they
    > never used to.
    >
    > Thanks for the help!
    >

    > --
    > tom-n

    You can turn the blue colouring off it you want to.
    Open Folder Options in Control Panel.
    On the View tab, unselect Show encrypted or compressed NTFS in color.

    --
    Kath Adams
    MS MVP - Windows (Outlook Express)

    Kath Adams, Nov 25, 2005