What will you be replacing your CRT monitor with?

Discussion in 'Video Cards' started by Darrel Christenson, Oct 31, 2007.

  1. > I've been shopping for a CRT monitor and have been finding that they
    > are thin on the ground. I suspect that within a year or two, it will
    > be impossible to buy a brand-new CRT monitor.
    >
    > What are graphic designers, professional photographers, pre-press
    > people, etc., using (or planning to use) now that CRTs are on the way
    > out?

    When my 21 inch monitor finallt died I got a Dell
    24" widescreen flat panel and never looked back.

    drc :)

    =====
    Photography, video and media services
    visit us at: www.dragonfyrephoto.com

    KIDS ONLY events (e.g. birthdays) photography
    visit us at: kids.dragonfyrephoto.com

    AOL USERS - please use a separate browser
    such as Firefox when visiting us

    Darrel Christenson, Oct 31, 2007

  2. Darrel Christenson

    Igor Guest

    --
    "Those of us whose brains did not die in college are
    actually stunned by just how stupid academic ideas

    Igor, Oct 31, 2007

  3. Igor wrote:
    > I've been shopping for a CRT monitor and have been finding that they
    > are thin on the ground. I suspect that within a year or two, it will
    > be impossible to buy a brand-new CRT monitor.
    >
    > What are graphic designers, professional photographers, pre-press
    > people, etc., using (or planning to use) now that CRTs are on the way
    > out?
    > -- [sig delimiter is missing a space]

    I'll probably replace my 19" Electron Blue with a 21 or larger one.
    And my 19" Samsung LCD with a huge one, but neither for the next several
    years.

    --
    John McWilliams

    I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm
    not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

    John McWilliams, Oct 31, 2007
  4. "Igor" wrote ...
    > I've been shopping for a CRT monitor and have been finding that they
    > are thin on the ground. I suspect that within a year or two, it will
    > be impossible to buy a brand-new CRT monitor.
    >
    > What are graphic designers, professional photographers, pre-press
    > people, etc., using (or planning to use) now that CRTs are on the way
    > out?

    One of the newsgroups you cross-posted to is
    rec.video.production where "monitor" has an ambiguous
    meaning. But you appear to be asking about a comptuer
    screen ratherer than a television monitor.

    Video editing has much the same problem with proper
    rendition of the image on the screen. The difference in
    gamma between a comptuer screen and a television
    monitor is very significant and many people come here
    complaining that their video looks "dark" on their computer
    screen.

    Many of us continue to use conventional television monitors
    (CRT) for viewing the video even as we use LCD (etc.)
    computer screens for our non-linear editing functions, etc.

    There are begining to be more LCD-based television
    monitors available in the marketplace, but they still cost
    many times more than CRT TV monitors, and many times
    more than domestic LCD-based TV receivers.

    The reason for this is that a television production monitor
    is a calibrated piece of "test equipment", not just a pretty
    screen to view the video. The most critical use is by the
    "camera shader" who relies on the proper setup of the
    monitor and his/her own eyes to adjust several parameters
    of the TV cameras so that they will match when the director
    switches between them. Not altogether different from the
    function of a "colorist", except that it is done in real-time.

    And of course, there are similar requirements for graphic
    arts monitors. And some of the same equipment is used
    to calibrate the (CRT or LCD) monitor screens.

    Richard Crowley, Oct 31, 2007
  5. Darrel Christenson

    Arny Krueger Guest

    "Igor" <> wrote in message

    > I've been shopping for a CRT monitor and have been finding that they
    > are thin on the ground. I suspect that within a year or two, it will
    > be impossible to buy a brand-new CRT monitor.

    Anybody who is surprised should raise their hand so we can give them a
    pointed cap and direct them to the nearest corner. ;-)

    > What are graphic designers, professional photographers, pre-press
    > people, etc., using (or planning to use) now that CRTs are on the way
    > out?

    Lots of LCD-based displays, and maybe a little plasma.

    Arny Krueger, Oct 31, 2007
  6. Darrel Christenson

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    "Igor" <> wrote in message
    > I've been shopping for a CRT monitor and have been finding that they
    > are thin on the ground. I suspect that within a year or two, it will
    > be impossible to buy a brand-new CRT monitor.
    >
    > What are graphic designers, professional photographers, pre-press
    > people, etc., using (or planning to use) now that CRTs are on the way
    > out?

    Interesting, since my HP1130 is losing contrast as I type. I'm looking at
    LCDs, but have decided after looking at a few that whatever the brand, it's
    got to have an S-IPS panel. I've brought up some pix on a few, and the
    conventional wisdom about the panels seems to be bourne out visually, and
    the S-IPS screens look the best, and offer the widest viewing angle.

    Looking at the HP 2065, a reasonably priced 20" model with a S-IPS panel.
    I've tried one, and it looks great; as good as any CRT I've ever used.

    Kinon O'Cann, Oct 31, 2007
  7. Igor wrote:

    > I've been shopping for a CRT monitor and have been finding that they
    > are thin on the ground. I suspect that within a year or two, it will
    > be impossible to buy a brand-new CRT monitor.

    I haven't seen an LCD monitor under $3K that was any good. Even the Apple
    Cinema model is mediocre. Stick with CRT while you can. I use a pair of
    Sony flat screen CRT monitors. I have a spare pair new in the boxes in
    the basement. You can pick 19" new in the box Sony Trinitron tube monitors
    on the surplus market for less than $25 each. 21-inchers is less than $40
    new in the box.

    > What are graphic designers, professional photographers, pre-press
    > people, etc., using (or planning to use) now that CRTs are on the way
    > out?

    When my last pair give up the ghost it looks like I'll be using an
    Etch-O-Sketch since I refuse to use an LCD for photo editing.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Oct 31, 2007
  8. Martin Heffels, Oct 31, 2007
  9. Darrel Christenson

    Mark Guest

    "Igor" <> wrote in message
    > I've been shopping for a CRT monitor and have been finding that they
    > are thin on the ground. I suspect that within a year or two, it will
    > be impossible to buy a brand-new CRT monitor.
    >
    > What are graphic designers, professional photographers, pre-press
    > people, etc., using (or planning to use) now that CRTs are on the
    > way
    > out?

    The Samsung LCD monitors with LED backlighting seem to be good
    candidates:

    "The LED BLU increases the ability to create significantly enhanced
    images producing a more natural range of color, and covering the full
    Adobe RGB natural color space / gamut."

    http://www.samsung.com/us/news/news...tnews&newsctgry=consumerproduct&news_seq=3388

    Mark, Nov 1, 2007
  10. Darrel Christenson

    No One Guest

    Igor wrote:

    > I've been shopping for a CRT monitor and have been finding that they
    > are thin on the ground. I suspect that within a year or two, it will
    > be impossible to buy a brand-new CRT monitor.
    >
    > What are graphic designers, professional photographers, pre-press
    > people, etc., using (or planning to use) now that CRTs are on the way
    > out?
    > --
    > "Those of us whose brains did not die in college are
    > actually stunned by just how stupid academic ideas
    > are." -- Robert W. Whitaker, http://readbob.com/

    Widescreen, flat panels.

    No One, Nov 1, 2007
  11. Darrel Christenson

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Igor wrote:
    > I've been shopping for a CRT monitor and have been finding that they
    > are thin on the ground. I suspect that within a year or two, it will
    > be impossible to buy a brand-new CRT monitor.
    >
    > What are graphic designers, professional photographers, pre-press
    > people, etc., using (or planning to use) now that CRTs are on the way
    > out?

    It won't be impossible, just more expensive. The market for low cost,
    good quality CRT monitors is just about dried up. I am sure that when
    this CRT dies, I will replace it with a good LCD monitor. Mainly
    because of space and cost as the CRT monitors available by then will be
    the 'studio quality' ones, the low cost market having been taken over by
    the LCD.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 1, 2007
  12. Darrel Christenson

    Spex Guest

    Martin Heffels wrote:
    > You might want to check this one out:
    > http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/reviews/index.cfm?ReviewID=791
    >
    > -m-

    Yep, that's a good one and combined with this,

    http://cinespace.risingsunresearch.com/product.html

    you'll be fine. Many facilities I work at use this calibration tool or
    similar. It can't make a crap LCD a broadcast quality monitor but it
    wrings the best out of any monitor.

    I have also heard this monitor is excellent.

    http://www.quato.de/english/IP240m.php

    When I purchase another panel this will be high on the list to check out.

    Spex, Nov 1, 2007
  13. Darrel Christenson

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    "Rita Ä Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
    > Igor wrote:
    >
    >> I've been shopping for a CRT monitor and have been finding that they
    >> are thin on the ground. I suspect that within a year or two, it will
    >> be impossible to buy a brand-new CRT monitor.

    > I haven't seen an LCD monitor under $3K that was any good. Even the Apple
    > Cinema model is mediocre. Stick with CRT while you can. I use a pair of
    > Sony flat screen CRT monitors. I have a spare pair new in the boxes in
    > the basement. You can pick 19" new in the box Sony Trinitron tube
    > monitors
    > on the surplus market for less than $25 each. 21-inchers is less than $40
    > new in the box.
    >
    >> What are graphic designers, professional photographers, pre-press
    >> people, etc., using (or planning to use) now that CRTs are on the way
    >> out?

    > When my last pair give up the ghost it looks like I'll be using an
    > Etch-O-Sketch since I refuse to use an LCD for photo editing.

    Like it would matter with your pix. Seriously, you've obviously never seen a
    high-end calibrated LCD screen, have you?

    Kinon O'Cann, Nov 1, 2007
  14. Darrel Christenson

    George Kerby Guest

    On 11/1/07 6:37 AM, in article PTiWi.449$,
    "Kinon O'Cann" <> wrote:

    > "Rita Ä Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
    >> Igor wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've been shopping for a CRT monitor and have been finding that they
    >>> are thin on the ground. I suspect that within a year or two, it will
    >>> be impossible to buy a brand-new CRT monitor.

    >> I haven't seen an LCD monitor under $3K that was any good. Even the Apple
    >> Cinema model is mediocre. Stick with CRT while you can. I use a pair of
    >> Sony flat screen CRT monitors. I have a spare pair new in the boxes in
    >> the basement. You can pick 19" new in the box Sony Trinitron tube
    >> monitors
    >> on the surplus market for less than $25 each. 21-inchers is less than $40
    >> new in the box.
    >>
    >>> What are graphic designers, professional photographers, pre-press
    >>> people, etc., using (or planning to use) now that CRTs are on the way
    >>> out?

    >> When my last pair give up the ghost it looks like I'll be using an
    >> Etch-O-Sketch since I refuse to use an LCD for photo editing.

    > Like it would matter with your pix. Seriously, you've obviously never seen a
    > high-end calibrated LCD screen, have you?

    Yeah? How do you think he came up with this excellent example of his work?!?

    http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2006/platinum.htm

    'Nuff said...

    George Kerby, Nov 1, 2007
  15. Darrel Christenson

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    "George Kerby" <> wrote in message
    >> Like it would matter with your pix. Seriously, you've obviously never
    >> seen a
    >> high-end calibrated LCD screen, have you?
    >>

    > Yeah? How do you think he came up with this excellent example of his
    > work?!?
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2006/platinum.htm

    That's Rita's finest work, for sure. She/he/it has no clue. Of that I'm
    certain.

    Kinon O'Cann, Nov 1, 2007
  16. Darrel Christenson

    ray Guest

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 13:59:49 -0500, Igor wrote:

    > I've been shopping for a CRT monitor and have been finding that they
    > are thin on the ground. I suspect that within a year or two, it will
    > be impossible to buy a brand-new CRT monitor.
    >
    > What are graphic designers, professional photographers, pre-press
    > people, etc., using (or planning to use) now that CRTs are on the way
    > out?

    Currently I have my eye on a nice 19" widescreen LCD flat panel.

    ray, Nov 1, 2007
  17. Darrel Christenson

    Kinon O'Cann Guest

    "Igor" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 17:03:34 -0400, "Kinon O'Cann"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > <snip>
    >

    >>Interesting, since my HP1130 is losing contrast as I type. I'm looking at
    >>LCDs, but have decided after looking at a few that whatever the brand,
    >>it's
    >>got to have an S-IPS panel. I've brought up some pix on a few, and the
    >>conventional wisdom about the panels seems to be bourne out visually, and
    >>the S-IPS screens look the best, and offer the widest viewing angle.
    >>
    >>Looking at the HP 2065, a reasonably priced 20" model with a S-IPS panel.
    >>I've tried one, and it looks great; as good as any CRT I've ever used.
    >>

    > I've never heard of S-IPS. I'll have to look into it.

    There are three panel types: TN, UVA/MVA, and IPS. TN is the cheapest, with
    the shallowest viewing angles and weakest color reproduction. IPS is far and
    away the best, but kind of hard to find since the panels are expensive. But,
    if you can get one, they are excellent. Properly calibrated, it'l like
    looking through a perfectly clear window. The HP 2065 is one of the least
    expensive IPS panel displays, and produces a very nice image.

    It appears to me that in the world of LCD displays you generally get what
    you pay for.

    Kinon O'Cann, Nov 1, 2007
  18. Darrel Christenson

    Igor Guest

    On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 02:08:51 -0500, Ron Hunter <>
    wrote:

    <snip>

    >It won't be impossible, just more expensive. The market for low cost,
    >good quality CRT monitors is just about dried up. I am sure that when
    >this CRT dies, I will replace it with a good LCD monitor. Mainly
    >because of space and cost as the CRT monitors available by then will be
    >the 'studio quality' ones, the low cost market having been taken over by
    >the LCD.

    Maybe I haven't been looking in the right places, but I haven't seen
    even the high-end, "studio quality" ones for sale anywhere. The market
    seems to be dried up all across the spectrum.

    From what I've seen, the only CRT monitors that can still reliably be
    purchased new are a few middle-of-the-road models from NEC and
    Viewsonic, and some cheaper, off-brand ones.

    Some online catalogs still have listings for CRTs by Philips and
    Samsung, but I'd be surprised if those were actually still available
    if you tried placing an order for them.

    Igor, Nov 1, 2007
  19. Darrel Christenson

    Igor Guest

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 17:03:34 -0400, "Kinon O'Cann"

    <snip>

    Igor, Nov 1, 2007
  20. Darrel Christenson

    Igor Guest

    On Wed, 31 Oct 2007 16:49:02 -0400, "Arny Krueger" <>
    wrote:

    >"Igor" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> I've been shopping for a CRT monitor and have been finding that they
    >> are thin on the ground. I suspect that within a year or two, it will
    >> be impossible to buy a brand-new CRT monitor.

    >Anybody who is surprised should raise their hand so we can give them a
    >pointed cap and direct them to the nearest corner. ;-)

    I have to admit that I've been living under a rock the last few years
    as far as technology is concerned. I bought my last monitor (an LCD)
    about 4 or 5 years ago, and at that time CRT was still king. I noted
    about 2 years ago that the selection of CRT monitors on store shelves
    had shrunk considerably, but getting one still was not a problem. Now,
    a person has to go out of their way to get one.

    Igor, Nov 1, 2007