What was the first live band (or musical act) you ever saw?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
For me the first significant live band I ever saw were two groups at The London College Of Fashion & Technology, central London UK.

Support were Chicken Shack with Christine Perfect on keyboards and vocals and the main attraction was the Savoy Brown Blues Band. This was in 1968 and the only reason I went was cos a mate was attending the College and invited us along.

I think it's reasonable to say it pretty much changed my life forever, I enjoyed the evening a great deal.

However, the real first live act I ever saw was a year earlier at The Savoy Club in Catford (or it may still have been called The Witch Doctor club at that time) where I went along for the usual DJ spinning records and they had Jimmy James & The Vagabonds do a set but I didn't really pay attention and considered it insignificant at the time.

Reaction score
Probably The Wurzels at Agricultural College.
A good West Country band.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Runrig ... Thursday, 11.November.1993, Cardiff St.Davids.

best, late, birthday present ever! :)

:cool:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
It's so far back in the mists of time that I can't remember whether it was Chuck Berry or The Alan Price Combo.

I saw Chuck Berry on stage in Newcastle and the main thing I remember about him was just how skinny his legs were ( tight trousers were the fashion then ). But he was great live.

Round about the same time I used to see The Alan Price Combo live on stage on a fairly regular basis at the College Union Saturday night evenings. They were also great to watch on stage, and then one day they stopped appearing. We then heard that they had become The Animals, got a recording contract, released House Of The Rising Sun and gone off to the US. All Geordie lads.

You can probably guess the era now. We used to get all the bands on stage just as they were becoming famous - The Swinging Blue Jeans, Manfred Mann, Brian Poole and the Tremeloes, The Four Pennies, The Searchers and many more.

Nothing like a bit of nostalgia. :D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
It was back in 1984 when I was in Japan and this young and beautiful lady was playing harp in the lounge of the President Hotel where I was staying. I sat down to listen to it, she had just completed a piece and when she saw me she started on another one and I immediately recognized the tune which was spring by Vivaldi, she acknowledged my smile and gave a wonderful presentation. At the end I applauded her and as I was clapping I realised I was her only audience and she was playing it for me. Will never forget that experience, it really tickled my soul which no hifi had done it before.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
McCully Workshop and Late Final in the 80's in South Africa.
Slayer and Biohazard 1993 or 4 at Brixton academy

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Interesting :)

I saw the Wurzels once at Baileys nightspot in Watford, a good fun band. They were singing 'Una Paloma Blanca' and I suddenly noticed the lyrics weren't quite the same. On listening more closely instead of singing the chorus 'Una Paloma Blanca' the wiry little lead singer geezer was singing 'I likes to pull my plonker' whereupon I fell about laughing, the singer noticed me and gave me a wink and a thumbs up.

I know Dumpy (Graham) well from old, though I haven't seen him in years now. We done a lot of gigs together and I booked him a fair few times. I have my name on the Thank You list on his first LP, a double named 'Made In England'.

I've never seen Runrig but I have driven all the way round Loch Lomond. I wonder which way they'll vote in the September referendum? ;)

A Japanese lady playing the harp in a hotel lobby? That's certainly unique Mr Quad :)

I didn't much care for Biohazard, I used to get sent loads of their promos when I was DJ-ing, but I would loved to have seen Slayer. I still play Seasons In The Abyss and Reign in Blood on vinyl when the mood takes me.

Keep 'em coming :)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Well growing up in deepest darkest Daaaaarzet the live music pickings were rather slim. I wasn't allowed to go to festivals either, so the first proper gig that I went to was once I'd moved to uni in Manchester - Red Hot Chili Peppers, By The Way world tour. It was at the MEN Arena which is huge, so I was rather in awe! :)

I'd love to see them again, they were brilliant live.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
David Bowie when he had long hair. Came on stage at Bridlington Spa with a three legged stool and sang Major Tom his big hit at the time.
Must have been in the very early 70's just as he was heading for stardom.

Same summer saw Black Sabbath at the same venue.

Glorious days that sent me off on my misspent youth.:D

Reaction score
You cannot beat live music, One of my big music loves is Big Band and went to a Ted Heath do at Tonbridge Wells, that was a blast:thumb:

Ask a Question