What was the first band you ever saw?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
And I mean 'real' band, not the high school dance ensemble or some soul outfit at local dance hall.

For me it was a double bill appearing at the London College Of Fashion & Technology, just off of Regents Street Central London in late '68.

It was Chicken Shack (featuring Christine Perfect on vocals, she of Fleetwood Mac) and support act Savoy Brown Blues Band.

For me it was quite an eye opener.

I met some girl at that gig, we arranged to go out together until I discovered she lived the other side of London to me, whereupon I passed upon the chance.

What a pratt I was, she was well tasty :D

For those geographically inclined, I lived in Catford, she lived in Hornsey, it shouldn't have been a barrier.

I can still remember Savoy Brown Blues band and can also remember Christine Perfect singing 'I'd rather go blind'

That one gig opened my eyes.

Youtube have stuff Here's a link Only audio I'm afraid.

That was my first real gig. Yours?

And a PS

Link to John Fogerty performing Glastonbury 2007. I wuz there :)

Rockin' All Over The World

And better quality from same performance:

Bad Moon Rising

This one performance, about 90 minutes, salvaged a very rainy Glastonbury '07 for me.

I'd wanted to see John Fogerty since '69, it finally came around.

If you wanna share your experiences, then do so. And I do realise for some of you the bands may not have quite so long a history ;)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
My First band?
Motorhead :D

not much to say about it, The concert was full of energy as the be expected - crowded like no other - and loud.... terrifyingly loud :D

not bad for a first time - love em!

Reaction score

[Pattie pavilion] Swansea. With my big brother.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 160

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
The Alan Price Combo, later to become The Animals, some time early to mid 60's. I was at Uni in Newcastle and they used to play at the Uni dances. They were superb live. :thumb:

Also at about the same time we had an end of term ball and got both Manfred Mann and the Tremeloes on the same bill. :nod:

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Dire Staits when I was 18, I won the ticket & transport in an orientation week contest (Only time I ever won a contest) And that was a real eye opener for me too. Noisy & sweaty & full of energy. Definitely something to a live performance that you can't describe in words or see on the screen. I'd only ever heard the one song from the band before too lol, but with the atmosphere there, they could've been singing nursery rhymes to the music & no one would've cared. :)

Reaction score
Wishbone Ash

then

Killer Queen

then

Bowling for Soup

then

Bowling for Soup again

then

Rolf Harris, Simple Minds, Katie Melua at Guilfest 2004

then

Rush at Wembly at the R30 tour

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
David Bowie at Bridlington Spa . Just after he released Space Oddity . He had a guitar and a three legged stool .That would be the early seventies , I think . Can't give a date as things were a little hazy back then .

laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I saw David Bowie just after Space Oddity at Bromley Gardens in Bromley, Kent, one Saturday afternoon, twas a free concert. He sat on a three legged stool and strummed an accoustic guitar.

That would be around June, 1969. I know, cos after the concert me and me mate drove up to Tottenham Court Road around midnight and watched 'Easy Rider' at the Dominion Cinema.

Oddly enough, completely artificial stimulus free, all day :)

Ah, heady days :)

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Now I'm going green with envy
nod.gif

I saw Bowie up in Wellington when he was over here with the reality tour.
It was pounding down (some random tropical cyclone blowing downwards unexpectedly) & the rain shorted out all the electrics.
The concert started an hour late & by then they only had basic sound & lights.
Bowie performed out in the rain
wearing an anorak
& making Jokes
& getting just as soaked as us
to a very dedicated group of fans (about half the fans had left over the previous hour) huddled under plastic shopping bags etc (there was no sign of the rain in advance so no one had umbrellas, coats or hats or anything.
Best Bloody concert I've ever been to :D:D:D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I saw Bowie again in th e early seventies just after he released Aladin Sane , down in a nightclub in Scarbrough .

:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
feckit said:
Dumpy's Rusty Nuts! for more click HERE
Oh and Motorhead Live!!!!

On the cover of his 'Somewhere In England' Album you can spy, in the 'thank you's' Tony & Richard from T F Much Disco. Well it was on the original vinyl release anyway, I wonder if it made it to CD?

That's me :D

I done dozens of gigs with him, he's a nice fella, if a little opinionated. Funny so snd so too :)

Reaction score
Buthole Surfers

My first gig was only last year, went to go see the Butthole Surfers reunion tour down at Manchester Acadamy, was a brillient first gig. Paul Greens school of Rock was playing warm up and one of there guys (a bassist I think) got me a setlist and a drumstick :p
I was parked right at the front an I reckon you can see me in some of the youtube vids. What was quite scary was a woman had an epeleptic fit right next to me...
I just wish I could of appreciated them more, a mate asked me down and I'd only heard a few songs

Reaction score
Slayer and Biohazard at Brixton Academy 1994..Also the first and last time I went in a mosh pit..Came out with a broken nose and 4 fractured ribs...Was fun though

Ask a Question