    RAID10 arrays). Is there a way to use a disk utility to inspect the
    data or the PCI bus to see what the optimal stripe size would be?

    Any good links on setting stripe size?

    JM, Jun 3, 2005

  2. JM

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Previously JM <> wrote:
    > I need to configure a RAID10 array, and I don't know what stripe size
    > to use. The application is called Hyperion Essbase, and I can't find
    > any documentation or other information regarding stripe size.

    > We have several servers currently using Essbase (on both RAID5 and
    > RAID10 arrays). Is there a way to use a disk utility to inspect the
    > data or the PCI bus to see what the optimal stripe size would be?

    > Any good links on setting stripe size?

    Depends on your access patterns. If you have mostly larger writes, or
    few writes, make the stripes large. If you have a lot of smaller
    accesses, make them small. The problem here is that for any change
    within a stripe the complete stripe-set has to be read and written.

    Personally I found (Linux software RAID1) the default 4kB stripe
    size (matched to the filesystems cluster size) is fine and that
    larger strioes did not help much. However that may be different
    with your set-up.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Jun 4, 2005