    saying "550 Your message does not conform to RFC2822 standard."

    Can anyone help me?

    Thank you very much.

    Guest, Nov 8, 2005

    Galen Guest

    In news:,
    David G. <David > had this to say:

    > I tried to send a 3MB ".mpg" file and received an "undeliverable"
    > message saying "550 Your message does not conform to RFC2822
    > standard."
    >
    > Can anyone help me?
    >
    > Thank you very much.

    Is it a bounce back message or a message from inside Outlook? (Not that I
    have an answer nessesarily but rather it's a bit curious and when a standard
    isn't being followed by default, well, there's much potential for problems.)

    You can read about the standard here though I'm not sure this will help you
    out any:

    RFC2822 - Internet Message Format:
    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2822.html

    Are you using the BCC field without a To: address? Are there unsent message
    in your outbox?

    --
    Galen - MS MVP - Windows (Shell/User & IE)
    http://dts-l.org/

    "A man should keep his little brain attic stocked with all the
    furniture that he is likely to use, and the rest he can put away in the
    lumber-room of his library where he can get it if he wants it."

    Sherlock Holmes

    Galen, Nov 8, 2005
  3. If you are using Outlook 2003, the server could be complaining that there
    isn't a message id. It is perfectly okay to submit a message to a MTA w/out
    one as RFC2822 is for server to server communications and not client to
    server. Contact your ISP and let them know that they should be stamping the
    message with a message id before sending on to the final recipients mail
    server.

    neo [mvp outlook], Nov 8, 2005

    Thanks for the reply.

    I am not sure why this is happening. The message and file I was trying to
    send was sent to me to my work e-mail. I forwarded it to my home e-mail
    address (I use Outlook 2003 both at work and at home). I received it
    perfectly, but the problem only arises when I sent it out to varioius e-mail
    addresses.

    Would this help you refine a little more your understanding of what is going
    on?

    Thank you.

    Guest, Nov 8, 2005

    Thank you for your reply.

    Yes this is a bounce back message. You can read my reply to the other
    message about the circumstances under which this happened.

    Guest, Nov 8, 2005
  6. Sure and again it most likely boils down to the missing message id. Try
    this, send yourself a message (work to home or vice versa). Bring up the
    internet header (options button on toolbar) on the received message and see
    if you see a line that reads:

    The @hostname should match the ISP or company mail server name. If it is
    missing outright, then the people that run the mail servers aren't aware of
    the change in Outlook 2003 and are trying to combat spam and such buy using
    flawed logic.

    neo [mvp outlook], Nov 8, 2005

    Galen Guest

    In news:,
    David G. <> had this to say:

    > Thank you for your reply.
    >
    > Yes this is a bounce back message. You can read my reply to the other
    > message about the circumstances under which this happened.
    >

    > "Galen" wrote:
    >
    >> In news:,
    >> David G. <David > had this to say:

    >>> I tried to send a 3MB ".mpg" file and received an "undeliverable"
    >>> message saying "550 Your message does not conform to RFC2822
    >>> standard."
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone help me?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you very much.

    >> Is it a bounce back message or a message from inside Outlook? (Not
    >> that I have an answer nessesarily but rather it's a bit curious and
    >> when a standard isn't being followed by default, well, there's much
    >> potential for problems.)
    >>
    >> You can read about the standard here though I'm not sure this will
    >> help you out any:
    >>
    >> RFC2822 - Internet Message Format:
    >> http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2822.html
    >>
    >> Are you using the BCC field without a To: address? Are there unsent
    >> message in your outbox?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Galen - MS MVP - Windows (Shell/User & IE)

    I read the responses and, as I'm sure you know, you'd definitely want to
    follow Neo's advice on this one. (Outlook is what I tend to use quite a bit
    but isn't anything that I'd say I know too much about, honestly, other than
    what I consider to be the basics. Standards are what attracted me to inquire
    into your post.) If it's any indication then I'd have to say I agree that
    it's an ISP issue as it seems you sent it out to "various e-mail addresses."
    If you don't mind slaking my curiosity, where you sending it out with
    addresses in the BCC: field? And if so did you have at least one address in
    the To: field?

    Galen, Nov 8, 2005

    I've had exactly the same problem as David. I checked out the Message ID in
    the Internet properties as you suggested and it reads Message-ID:
    <000901c60d94$119312d0$6401a8c0@HPDESKTOP>.

    HPDESKTOP is my home computer. Shouldn't it read @Earthlink or something
    like that because smtpauth.earthlink.net is my outgoing server?

    Cheers.
    --
    (Jeremy)

    Guest, Dec 30, 2005

    Galen Guest

    In news:,
    Jeremy Stone <> had this to say:

    > I've had exactly the same problem as David. I checked out the Message
    > ID in the Internet properties as you suggested and it reads
    >
    > HPDESKTOP is my home computer. Shouldn't it read @Earthlink or
    > something like that because smtpauth.earthlink.net is my outgoing
    > server?
    >
    > Cheers.

    <snip>

    I'd say disable your email security with your antivirus software. Really,
    you'll be protected regardless if it's real time scanning.

    --
    Galen - MS MVP - Windows (Shell/User & IE)
    http://dts-l.org/
    http://kgiii.info/

    "We approached the case, you remember, with an absolutely blank mind,
    which is always an advantage. We had formed no theories. We were simply
    there to observe and to draw inferences from our observations." -
    Sherlock Holmes

    Galen, Dec 31, 2005