    Which one is the "better" ?

    Can both socket types hold AMD Athlon mobile resp AMD Athlon XP mobile CPUs ?

    Peter

    Peter Meister, Nov 29, 2006

  2. "Peter Meister" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > I am a bit confused about the difference of motherboard sockets
    > labelled "Slot A" and "Socket A".
    >
    > Often it is written that AMD Athlon CPUS fit into SLot A
    > and at other places into Socket A.
    >
    > So if Athlon CPUS fit into both types then the socket types must be the

    same ?

    > Or are there any differences ?
    > Which one is the "better" ?
    >
    > Can both socket types hold AMD Athlon mobile resp AMD Athlon XP mobile

    CPUs ?

    slot a http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/de/5/5e/Slot_A.png
    socket a
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...Socket_462.saa.jpeg/689px-Socket_462.saa.jpeg

    Michael Mantz, Nov 29, 2006

  3. Peter Meister

    Kyle Guest

    Early Athlon CPUs were "Slot A" meaning the CPU, cache, HS and fan
    were mounted in a modular package and plugged into a slot on the mobo
    like the older Pentium IIs. Later Athlon CPUs are "socket A" and drop
    into a typical ZIF cpu socket. The 2 designs are incompatible.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kyle

    Kyle, Nov 29, 2006
  4. On 29 Nov 2006 12:53:21 GMT, (Peter Meister) wrote:

    >I am a bit confused about the difference of motherboard sockets
    >labelled "Slot A" and "Socket A".
    >
    >Often it is written that AMD Athlon CPUS fit into SLot A
    >and at other places into Socket A.
    >
    >So if Athlon CPUS fit into both types then the socket types must be the same ?

    No - The Slot A was AMD's CPU packaging answer to Intel's Pentium 2&3 SECC:
    a CPU mounted on a PCB along with the L2 cache SRAM chips - the PCB has an
    edge connector which fits in a slot in the same was an an ISA, PCI or PCI-e
    card fits in a slot. AMD used the same physical slot connectors but
    reversed the keying to avoid catastrophes.

    When Intel went to socket 370, AMD followed with Socket A: the L2 cache was
    integrated into the CPU die and the PGA (Pin Grid Array) package fit in a
    socket.... again, like with previous sockets.

    >Or are there any differences ?
    >Which one is the "better" ?
    >
    >Can both socket types hold AMD Athlon mobile resp AMD Athlon XP mobile CPUs ?

    I don't recall what the cut-off was on Athlons speedwise but there were no
    XPs produced in a Socket A form factor.

    --
    Rgds, George Macdonald

    George Macdonald, Nov 29, 2006
  5. Peter Meister

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Wed, 29 Nov 2006 12:53:21 +0000, Peter Meister wrote:

    > I am a bit confused about the difference of motherboard sockets
    > labelled "Slot A" and "Socket A".
    >
    > Often it is written that AMD Athlon CPUS fit into SLot A
    > and at other places into Socket A.
    >
    > So if Athlon CPUS fit into both types then the socket types must be the same ?
    >
    > Or are there any differences ?
    > Which one is the "better" ?
    >
    > Can both socket types hold AMD Athlon mobile resp AMD Athlon XP mobile CPUs ?

    Both Slot A and socket A or pretty much now obsolete, but just the name
    should tell you some difference in them. Slot. Socket. Come on now. Athlon
    is just a name. There are many different ones with many different
    interfaces. The board must match the cpu interface type. a rough list of
    these starting with the original Athlon is slot A, socket A (462), 754,
    940, 939, AM2, and several more in the works for the newer cpu's.

    Wes Newell, Nov 29, 2006
  6. Slot A is A really old standard for Athlon CPU's, very rare now, but stay
    away from this. I think you are confusing Socket A and Socket 462,
    which are the same thing. Socket A or Socket 462 is a much better
    standard than Slot A.

    As for the mobile CPU's, it depends a lot on the motherboard. If it is a
    newer motherboard, you will have no problem. The older motherboards are a
    bit more iffy. The CPU's fit into the socket, but the cpu's are
    electrically different, and you need a motherboard that can handle the
    differences.

    Brian Campbell, Nov 29, 2006
  7. Peter Meister

    Guest

    Peter Meister wrote:
    > I am a bit confused about the difference of motherboard sockets
    > labelled "Slot A" and "Socket A".
    >
    > Often it is written that AMD Athlon CPUS fit into SLot A
    > and at other places into Socket A.

    They are different. Slot A is just that, a slot. Fastest ones I've seen
    in this form are 1ghz. Uncommon, even when it was still being produced.

    > So if Athlon CPUS fit into both types then the socket types must be the same ?

    Socket 462, and socket A ARE the same.

    > Or are there any differences ?
    > Which one is the "better" ?

    The socket.

    > Can both socket types hold AMD Athlon mobile resp AMD Athlon XP mobile CPUs ?

    Well, no, not really. Many old notebooks did use a full size Athlon, or
    Duron. So, yes, some of them are socket A. The newer ones use a
    different socket, though still the same one as the equivalent desktop
    variety.

    , Nov 30, 2006
  8. Peter Meister

    Guest

    Peter Meister wrote:
    > I am a bit confused about the difference of motherboard sockets
    > labelled "Slot A" and "Socket A".
    >
    > Often it is written that AMD Athlon CPUS fit into SLot A
    > and at other places into Socket A.

    They are different. Slot A is just that, a slot. Fastest ones I've seen
    in this form are 1ghz. Uncommon, even when it was still being produced.

    > So if Athlon CPUS fit into both types then the socket types must be the same ?

    Socket 462, and socket A ARE the same.

    > Or are there any differences ?
    > Which one is the "better" ?

    The socket.

    > Can both socket types hold AMD Athlon mobile resp AMD Athlon XP mobile CPUs ?

    Well, no, not really. Many old notebooks did use a full size Athlon, or
    Duron. So, yes, some of them are socket A. The newer ones use a
    different socket, though still the same one as the equivalent desktop
    variety.

    , Nov 30, 2006
  9. Peter Meister

    Tony Hill Guest

    wrote:

    >I am a bit confused about the difference of motherboard sockets
    >labelled "Slot A" and "Socket A".
    >
    >Often it is written that AMD Athlon CPUS fit into SLot A
    >and at other places into Socket A.

    REALLY old Athlons fit into Slot A. It was first used in mid-1999 and
    pretty much discontinued by the end of 2000. Slot A was a cartridge
    like design, nearly identical to Slot 1 used on the original Intel
    Pentium II and Pentium III processors.

    Socket A was the successor to Slot A, introduced in mid-2000. It was
    a more traditional socket style (hence the name ;) the same physical
    size as Intel's Socket 370 for their later Pentium III and Celeron
    chips.

    As a bit of an aside, Socket A has been discontinued as well. All
    current AMD chips use one of their newer socket (Socket 754, Socket
    939, Socket AM2, etc.) design for the Athlon64, Athlon64 X2, Opteron
    or the new Sempron chips.

    >So if Athlon CPUS fit into both types then the socket types must be the same ?

    Nope. The Athlon was sold for both sockets (much like Intel's Pentium
    III was sold for both Slot 1 and Socket 370). There are VERY few
    Athlons left for Slot A, it was very much a stop-gap solution until
    AMD was able to integrate some cache memory onto their processor core.
    Once that happened (mid 2000) there was no use at all to use the more
    expensive cartridge design, so it was dropped in favor of the much
    cheaper socketed design.

    >Or are there any differences ?
    >Which one is the "better" ?

    Neither is so much "better" except that Socket A was much cheaper.

    >Can both socket types hold AMD Athlon mobile resp AMD Athlon XP mobile CPUs ?

    Athlon mobile and Athlon XP mobile chips were *ONLY* ever released as
    Socket A chips. Slot A chips were somewhat larger than a deck of
    cards, so they really wouldn't have fit into a laptop very well!

    Unless you specifically KNOW that you're looking for a Slot A chip,
    avoid them. Ohh, and also you should consider yourself lucky that you
    got an AMD chip, because figuring out Intel's sockets is MUCH worse!
    --
    Tony Hill

    Tony Hill, Nov 30, 2006
  10. On 29 Nov 2006 12:53:21 GMT, (Peter Meister)
    wrote:

    >I am a bit confused about the difference of motherboard sockets
    >labelled "Slot A" and "Socket A".
    >
    >Often it is written that AMD Athlon CPUS fit into SLot A
    >and at other places into Socket A.

    >So if Athlon CPUS fit into both types then the socket types must be the same ?
    >
    >Or are there any differences ?
    >Which one is the "better" ?

    Earlier Athlons came in a cartridge that you insert into a slot, hence
    Slot A.

    Subsequently, they revert back to the more familiar "square chip"
    which fits into Socket A. AthlonXP are all Socket A IIANW.

    Since Socket A AthlonXP are later models, they are naturally "better".

    >Can both socket types hold AMD Athlon mobile resp AMD Athlon XP mobile CPUs ?

    No.

    --
    A Lost Angel, fallen from heaven
    Lost in dreams, Lost in aspirations,

    The little lost angel, Nov 30, 2006
  11. Peter Meister

    Guest

    Slot A was the physical interface used by the first generation Athlons.
    Go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athlon for more information.

    The Socket and Slot formats are completely incompatible. The
    performance of the Socket A chips,,especially the Athlon XPs, benefited
    from the on-chip L2 cache and other improvements, including faster
    memory buses and highr clock speeds. Note that the early generation
    Socket A motherboards do not properly support the faster memory buses
    used by later models of the Athlon XP. In any case the later
    motherboards are desirable since they are better featured (e.g., USB
    2.0 support) and less likely to suffer from the defective capacitor
    problems that were common in the motherboard industry in the period
    around 2001.

    There is no simple answer concerning motherboard compatibility with the
    mobile XPs. The earlier Socket A motherboards are very questionable.
    With newer motherboards, there are likely to be some issues getting the
    cpu to run at full speed, though there are ways of resolving this
    issue. If you are thinking of a particular configuration, futher
    investigation via a google search would be useful.

    Robert

    Peter Meister wrote:
    > I am a bit confused about the difference of motherboard sockets
    > labelled "Slot A" and "Socket A".
    >
    > Often it is written that AMD Athlon CPUS fit into SLot A
    > and at other places into Socket A.
    >
    > So if Athlon CPUS fit into both types then the socket types must be the same ?
    >
    > Or are there any differences ?
    > Which one is the "better" ?
    >
    > Can both socket types hold AMD Athlon mobile resp AMD Athlon XP mobile CPUs ?
    >
    > Peter

    , Dec 2, 2006
  12. Peter Meister

    Ed Guest

    On 29 Nov 2006 12:53:21 GMT, (Peter Meister) wrote:

    >I am a bit confused about the difference of motherboard sockets
    >labelled "Slot A" and "Socket A".
    >
    >Often it is written that AMD Athlon CPUS fit into SLot A
    >and at other places into Socket A.

    Often? You must be reading outdated material. Slot-A is dead.

    >So if Athlon CPUS fit into both types then the socket types must be the same ?

    No. Slot-A is very old, it's a big cartridge type CPU similar to Intel's
    Slot-1, the max CPU speeds are around 1GHz, Socket-A supports CPUs as
    fast as 2.2GHz, maybe faster?

    >Or are there any differences ?

    Yes - ones a slot, the other a socket.
    >Which one is the "better" ?

    Socket A, newer - easier to buy parts for.

    >Can both socket types hold AMD Athlon mobile resp AMD Athlon XP mobile CPUs ?

    I don't think AMD ever made a mobile Slot-A CPU, but there is Athlon
    XP-M for socket-A.

    Ed, Dec 3, 2006
  13. Peter Meister

    sdlomi2 Guest

    Answers in caps, within your text, for easier location of response.

    "Peter Meister" <> wrote in message
    >I am a bit confused about the difference of motherboard sockets
    > labelled "Slot A" and "Socket A".
    >
    > Often it is written that AMD Athlon CPUS fit into SLot A
    > and at other places into Socket A.
    >
    > So if Athlon CPUS fit into both types then the socket types must be the
    > same ?

    NOT SAME. SLOT A IS OLDER, WAS LIMITED TO SLOWER CPU'S, AND SHAPED AS A
    RECTANGLE (APPROX. 3 INCHES TALL BY 5 INCHES LONG), FIT 90 DEGREES ONTO MOBO
    INTO THE 5 INCH LONG SLOT. SOCKET A HAD PINS AND FIT INTO A MULTI-HOLE SLAB
    WHOSE HOLES EQUALLED THE NUMBER OF PINS.

    > Or are there any differences ?
    > Which one is the "better" ?

    BASED ON ITS USE OF FASTER CPU'S, THE SOCKET A WOULD BE BETTER.

    > Can both socket types hold AMD Athlon mobile resp AMD Athlon XP mobile
    > CPUs ?

    ONLY THE SOCKET A WILL ACCEPT THE PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS OF THE XP-MOBILE.

    sdlomi2, Dec 11, 2006