    suggest what is the difference between Primary and Secondary Partition. And
    which one should I used it?

    Thanks for your kindly attention.

    hon123456, Oct 3, 2004

  2. hon123456

    Enkidu Guest

    On 2 Oct 2004 23:24:55 -0700, (hon123456)
    wrote:

    >Dear All,
    >
    > In win2000, I can set the partition to Primary or Extended. So please
    >suggest what is the difference between Primary and Secondary Partition. And
    >which one should I used it?

    In Windows 2000/XP you can only have 1 primary partition and three
    extended partitions. Some non-Windows OSes can have up to 4 primary
    partitions. An extended partition can have logical partitions within
    it.

    You can't format an extended partition - you first have to create
    logical partition within it.

    The above rules are convention used by almost all OSes. Windows has
    added the dynamic disk, which has volumes and not partitions.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Oct 3, 2004

  3. hon123456

    Guest Guest

    Re: What is the difference between Primary Partition and Extended

    hi since you are using win2000 may be it wont differ for you a lot but if you
    had used win98 or win95 , you cant install OS (win98 or win95) until you have
    one primary partition

    you can win2000 setup and it will ask you how many partitions you need , you
    can create or delete , any partition

    or you can use the fdisk utility that is supported by DOS but you need a
    startup disk or system disk

    technically I m not sure , but the primary disks are allocated from the
    outer cylinder of the hard disk so their access by the machine will be faster
    and will give better performance , so its good to install the OS on primary
    partition i think

    I advise you the following : if you have a harddisk of 30 GB, make 10 Gb
    primary partition (lets say C drice) and the 20 gb EXTENDED PARTITION , MAKE
    TWO LOGICAL PARTITIONS D AND E IN THE EXTENDED PARTITION AREA

    HOPE TO BE HELPFUL

    REGARDS
    YANAL

    Guest, Oct 3, 2004
  4. "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > On 2 Oct 2004 23:24:55 -0700, (hon123456)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Dear All,
    > >
    > > In win2000, I can set the partition to Primary or Extended. So

    please
    > >suggest what is the difference between Primary and Secondary Partition.

    And
    > >which one should I used it?
    > >

    > In Windows 2000/XP you can only have 1 primary partition and three
    > extended partitions. Some non-Windows OSes can have up to 4 primary
    > partitions.

    .. . . and so can Windows! On the other hand, Windows can never
    have more than one extended partition.

    Windows allows you up to four partitions. One of them may be
    an extended partition; the other ones must be primary ones.

    The extended partition can have many logical drives.

    Pegasus \(MVP\), Oct 3, 2004
  5. hon123456 wrote:
    > Dear All,
    >
    > In win2000, I can set the partition to Primary or Extended.
    > So
    > please suggest what is the difference between Primary and Secondary
    > Partition. And which one should I used it?
    >
    > Thanks for your kindly attention.

    1) A Primary partition can be made bootable; an Extended partition
    cannot.

    2) A Primary partition can contain only one logical drive; an
    Extended partition can contain as many logical drives as you like,
    limited only by the number of available drive letters.

    Specifically, from WinXP's Help & Support's Glossary:

    PRIMARY PARTITION. A type of partition that you can create on basic
    disks. A primary partition is a portion of a physical disk that
    functions as though it were a physically separate disk. On basic
    master boot record (MBR) disks, you can create up to four primary
    partitions on a basic disk, or three primary partitions and an
    extended partition with multiple logical drives. On basic GPT disks,
    you can create up to 128 primary partitions. Primary partitions are
    also known as volumes.

    EXTENDED PARTITION. A type of partition that you can create only on
    basic master boot record (MBR) disks. Extended partitions are useful
    if you want to create more than four volumes on a basic MBR disk.
    Unlike primary partitions, you do not format an extended partition
    with a file system and then assign a drive letter to it. Instead, you
    create one or more logical drives within the extended partition. After
    you create a logical drive, you format it and assign it a drive
    letter. An MBR disk can have up to four primary partitions, or three
    primary partitions, one extended partition, and multiple logical
    drives.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having
    both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers, Oct 3, 2004
  6. Enkidu wrote:
    > On 2 Oct 2004 23:24:55 -0700, (hon123456)

    Not quite correct, I'm afraid.

    Bruce Chambers, Oct 3, 2004
  7. hon123456

    Rob Stow Guest

    Re: What is the difference between Primary Partition and ExtendedPartition

    Enkidu wrote:
    > On 2 Oct 2004 23:24:55 -0700, (hon123456)
    > wrote:
    >

    > In Windows 2000/XP you can only have 1 primary partition and three
    > extended partitions. Some non-Windows OSes can have up to 4 primary
    > partitions.

    Absolutely incorrect.

    W2K, W2K3, XP, and NT, all allow either 4 primary
    partitions or 3 primary partitions and one extended
    partition.

    For example, on one of my hard drives at home I
    currently have 3 primary partitions and 1 extended
    while on the other drive I have 2 primary and 1
    extended. All partitions are accessible from every
    version of Windows I use - W2K, NT4, XP, W2K3 - as
    well as from Linux.

    Rob Stow, Oct 3, 2004
  8. hon123456

    hon123456 Guest