    group as a new pst file.

    QUESTION: When accessing the original pst files, is there an advantage to
    importing them vs. opening them?

    Guest, Oct 28, 2005

    Importing them will import all email from the .pst file into your inbox, but
    I believe you have an option as to which folder you would like to import them
    to. You may want to check and see what options come up.

    Opening the .pst file will open it and place outside of your mailbox. In
    other words, it won't import them into your inbox, but it will open the file
    as if it were a seperate mailbox. I hope that makes sense and helps answer
    your question.

    Guest, Oct 28, 2005

  3. Importing them will combine the items in the .pst file into your current
    ..pst file but will lose:

    received dates
    custom forms
    activities
    connections between contacts and calendar
    etc.

    Importing = BAD!

    Opening them and using drag/drop will preserve all of the above and is the
    much preferred method.

    --
    Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

    reading.

    After furious head scratching, Catherine asked:

    Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook], Oct 28, 2005
  4. Catherine <> wrote:

    > TASK: I'm working on a project where I need to combine several pst
    > files (Outlook 2003). These pst files only contain emails, no other
    > data. Once all of the email messages are combined, I need to
    > save/export the combined group as a new pst file.
    >
    > QUESTION: When accessing the original pst files, is there an
    > advantage to importing them vs. opening them?

    It is never a good idea to use import or export when transferring PSTs from
    one Outlook instance to another. You can lose data and you run a risk of
    disturbing your mail profile so that steps need to be taked to clear the
    problems. Open the other PSTs and use copy.
    --
    Brian Tillman

    Brian Tillman, Oct 28, 2005