what is deploy.akamaitechnologies.com?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by ross, Aug 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ross

    ross Guest

    Hi

    Can someone tell me what this site is all about:

    a203-111-15-229.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com

    Not recognising it, my firewall rejected files from that source during a
    Windows update - with the result that my whole installation became unuseable.

    I have since found that allowing access to this site is also obligatory for
    other installations, such as the Windows version of QuickTime (which comes from
    an Apple site).

    What is this site, and why is it obligatory during installations of software
    from different software sources?

    Thanks

    Ross

    ross, Aug 31, 2003

  2. ross

    David Candy Guest

    http://www.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com.org/
    http://digimedia.com/
    --
    David Candy
    http://www.mvps.org/serenitymacros/

    David Candy, Aug 31, 2003

  3. Ross,

    Akamai provides many IT services like application hosting, content delivery,
    and streaming media services, but they are probably best known for their
    massive distributed computer infrastructure. In lay terms, they have upwards
    of 15,000+ servers positioned around the globe providing content (software
    downloads, etc) and media (like QuickTime, RealAudio, or Windows Media
    files) for their customers (the likes of Apple, GM, MTV, Department of
    Defense, IBM, Microsoft, Monster.com, Yahoo!, Adobe...).

    So for instance, say your company developed a web site/application for use
    by your customers. On this website, you wanted to make available a few
    hundred moderate length video clips. If you intend your website to have even
    moderate traffic, you will quickly realize the potentially prohibitive
    time/energy/costs involved with building an infrastructure capable of
    delivering this content - to make those files available reliably you'll need
    lots of bandwidth, reliable servers with a backup strategy, redundant power
    and A/C, lots of RAID-ed disk space, finely tuned security precautions, lots
    of manpower to watch over everything, and on and on and on.

    This is where Akamai comes in. They have the infrastructure already in place
    to deliver these services. Companies can save money by having Akamai deliver
    their content for them. Akamai has become so ubiquitous that it's hard to go
    a day without (perhaps unknowingly) pulling at least some content of one of
    their servers, as you have discovered!

    I hope this helps.

    Patrick Pitre

    Patrick Pitre, Aug 31, 2003
  4. How bad is your installation? It sounds like you might have lost your user
    profile with it's related settings. Are you logging in as another user? You
    said "...my whole installation became unusable." Perhaps be specific about
    any specific errors you're getting. Let's figure out where you are before
    delving into figuring out which updates you need.

    Regarding system restore - besides needing disk space (which is fairly
    cheap), and some RAM (which is also fairly cheap), I haven't found it to be
    the resource hog others have. Sure, it doesn't always work, and there are
    the inevitable problems, but it's nice to have - just in case.

    Admittedly, when system restore was first introduced in ME, it wasn't quite
    ready for prime time, but the XP implementation is a capable product, if
    only a bit limited compared to commercial offerings. I've never had any
    problems with it... although often times I seem to be luckier than others.

    Patrick Pitre

    > "Patrick Pitre" <> wrote:
    > >Ross,
    > >
    > >Akamai provides many IT services like application hosting, content

    delivery,
    > >and streaming media services, but they are probably best known for their
    > >massive distributed computer infrastructure.

    > ... (snip) ... Companies can save money by having Akamai deliver
    > >their content for them. Akamai has become so ubiquitous that it's hard to

    go
    > >a day without (perhaps unknowingly) pulling at least some content of one

    of
    > >their servers, as you have discovered!

    > Thanks Patrick
    >
    > That's the sort of answer I was looking for. Just looking at their web

    page
    > didn't provide the logical connection, although it was clear they could

    offer a
    > range of software and services.
    >
    > Now - a trickier question. Is there any way I can tell *which* software I

    was
    > supposed to pull from the akamai site while doing recent security upgrades

    > XP? I would really like to allow my crashed update to continue, so I can

    get
    > back to my original XP installation. I had backed up my 'normal' data

    files,
    > but when the whole installation is kaput, you lose a lot more - the

    settings in
    > all your programs, laboriously accumulated link collections and other

    lists,
    > proprietary internal databases, etc.
    >
    > I suppose that next time I'll have to enable System Restore during the

    updates.

    Patrick Pitre, Sep 1, 2003
  5. ross

    Lokhai

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hope this helps even more...

    Patrick is correct, I did some research into it and they help websites function properly, they help with bandwidth etc. Another site that uses it, would be myspace, with all their advertising. There is also an airline that recently signed a contract with them to help with their website. So, it is totaly legal, and it's from the people at MIT, I'm not sure if that's comforting or not, but there ya go.

    Lokhai, Jan 3, 2007
  6. ross

    netsearcher

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    deploy akaimaitechnologies com

    What gives anyone the right to take over control of my browser and send me directly to their tracking pages?
    This is exactly what this hidden program does. It follows your every move, it slows down a AMD Turion x2 with 1GB memory and basically freezes the system for minutes at a time, while it records your every step. I have actual failure to complete loading pages if I use Netscape, so it didn't take too long to realize it must have had something to do with the latest Microsoft upgrades.

    I will check the site's, but my feeling I think is obvious. Some people at Microsoft feel they can do whatever they want in the name of new technology. This program is nothing but a huge gaathering database to keep track of your every move. Plus if you don't use their software you have to figure out how to fix it.

    It's shameless, I hope someone in the legal field decides to take this to court as a class action invasion of privacy, but then I guess they could just jump in behind homeland security? It's terrible.

    netsearcher, Feb 19, 2007
  7. ross

    danhennion

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yea, obviously microsoft watches people, and its fairly obvious that they have one of the slowest browsers on the market. thats why some smart people who didnt feel that microsoft would change (they were correct) invented Firefox. Has the whole internet gone mad?? normally I refuse to talk to anyone who wastes time using internet exploder, but i want to see IE fail as much as everyone else on the internet, so I'm telling all of you this once and for all. if your waisting time using IE you suck at life.

    danhennion, Jun 22, 2007
  8. ross

    eLBOw18

    Joined:
    Aug 8, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    why

    so why is this internet program popping up, (discovered through the command promt, or cmd through run under your start menu) while i am runnin no other programs but AIM? Somebody plz respond or email me on how to close these unauthorized ports. thank you!

    Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
    eLBOw18, Aug 8, 2007
  9. ross

    newbie75

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    block

    So please.. in baby terms.. HOW DO I BLOCK THEM!???!???

    Thanks!

    newbie75, Sep 8, 2007
  10. ross

    firewall_mantra

    Joined:
    Jun 24, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Get technical for us?

    Exactly. I see addresses such as 216.229.161.196.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com. So how do I selectively block say Apple Software Updater, which in the past has been seen to request GIGA bytes of info that the akamai servers gladly push into my external firewall ports.

    Does any one know how the name and distribute to aspecific app, so we can block it. I blocked the entire domain and now even ads on this web site go blank... EVERYONE is using them!? Well - maybe.

    MORE tech info would be needed to selectively block these items...

    firewall_mantra, Jun 24, 2009
  11. ross

    techmaster

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    hi,

    this video may help you... "why Deploy.akamaitechnologies" comes and what it does.

    I found blocking it completely does not load the Ymail.com / or / login to yahoo email.

    However, following is the video which disconnects the connections with deploy.akamaitechnologies.com immediately if found by the software (as per the entered IP address range)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnS--ivIo8w

    thanks

    techmaster, Nov 26, 2011