What is a yomi ?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Word Document Management' started by Guest, Nov 21, 2004.

    In MS-Word 2002, the Help file for " Field codes: XE (Index Entry) field
    { XE "Text" [Switches ] }
    says that the switch
    """" \y Specifies that the subsequent text defines the yomi for the index
    entry. """"

    Okay, that's just fine.

    My problem is that no dictionary that I can use, including my own Webster's
    Unabridged, tells me what a YOMI is.

    Please tell me what a YOMI is, and maybe add " yomi " to some Microsoft
    dictionary or glossary with a good, clear and complete definition of yomi..

    Thanks !

    Dan McGarigle
    El Segundom CA
    '

    Guest, Nov 21, 2004

    See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=220568 "WD2000: Undocumented Index
    Field Switches".

    Guest, Nov 21, 2004

    Beth Melton Guest

    The /y switch for XE fields can only be used if you have at least one
    East Asian language enabled.

    The switch defines the phonetic character for sorting (yomi).

    Beth Melton
    Microsoft Office MVP

    Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
    MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/