    with the info?

    Thanks!
    D.

    d gittens, Jan 20, 2009

  2. d gittens

    Tom Koch Guest

    "d gittens" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I've seen mention of .dbx files, and then there are .pab files, .ost and
    > .pst (although the last two might be for just Outlook and not Express).
    > I'd like to retrieve my old email from Express and I want to make sure I
    > have those file types available from my old machine. Can someone please
    > help me with the info?

    *.dbx files are Outlook Express files. To import those into Vista Windows
    Mail, you need to copy the whole folder of *.dbx files from your old
    computer. Then in Windows Mail click File|Import|Messages, select Outlook
    Express 6, then select "Import from an OE6 store directory." Browse to the
    folder you copied from the old computer and the rest should be automatic.
    You *must* have the master index ("Folders.dbx") in the folder or WinMail
    cannot do the import.

    *.pab, *.ost and *.pst are all Outlook file formats. *.pab is a Personal
    Address Book. *.pst is a Personal Folders file, and I'm not sure about *.ost
    (configuration settings I think). To import from Outlook into Windows Mail,
    you first have to install Outlook on the same computer.

    --
    Tom Koch
    Awareness is free.

    Tom Koch, Jan 20, 2009

  3. See www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx Follow the directions exactly as its quite
    buggy otherwise.

    steve

    Steve Cochran, Jan 20, 2009
  4. "Tom Koch" <> wrote in message
    > "d gittens" <> wrote in message
    >> I've seen mention of .dbx files, and then there are .pab files, .ost and
    >> .pst (although the last two might be for just Outlook and not Express).
    >> I'd like to retrieve my old email from Express and I want to make sure I
    >> have those file types available from my old machine. Can someone please
    >> help me with the info?

    > *.dbx files are Outlook Express files. To import those into Vista Windows
    > Mail, you need to copy the whole folder of *.dbx files from your old
    > computer. Then in Windows Mail click File|Import|Messages, select Outlook
    > Express 6, then select "Import from an OE6 store directory." Browse to the
    > folder you copied from the old computer and the rest should be automatic.
    > You *must* have the master index ("Folders.dbx") in the folder or WinMail
    > cannot do the import.

    You can import to Windows Mail by taking the *complete* folder from the OE
    system, and pointing Windows Mail to it (store folder). Note that if
    you've transferred it via CD, you'll probably have to copy it to the hard
    disk first as read rights are generally required.

    > *.pab, *.ost and *.pst are all Outlook file formats. *.pab is a Personal
    > Address Book. *.pst is a Personal Folders file, and I'm not sure about
    > *.ost (configuration settings I think).

    Offline storage. They are mostly used with Exchange server connections.

    HTH
    -pk

    Patrick Keenan, Jan 20, 2009
  5. [In for a penny...]

    HOW TO Migrate from Outlook Express to Windows Mail
    http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx#oe2wm or...
    http://www.vista4beginners.com/Migrate-from-Outlook-Express-to-Windows-Mail
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)