• I may use it

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • What is it?

Votes: 11 18.0%

• Total voters

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What do you think about Linux? I personally don't use it, but I have used it a few times in the past :) I like the "idea" of Linux, but I don't think I could sacrifice compatibility and ease.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I am a Linux user! ;)

I have Mandrake 10 as dual boot with Windows XP, I figured out a new way of setting up both the OS. Since I have two Hard Drives an 80GB WD with 8mb buffer and a SATA 120 GB for video and backup I decided to install both operating system on different drives. The good thing in my opinion is that if one drive fails the other will have the OS and I can get my basic job done like mail and web browsing till I can get the other drive up and running again.

WD on which the Windows is installed has the Master Boot Record for only Windows and is therefore independant. Mandrake is installed on the SATA and I forced it to install the MBR on the SATA as well. With the SATA as active HD I get a nice boot menu on which I can choose either Linux or Windows as OS and the system boots up with the choice. If I enable the WD as active only Windows boots up. This for me is ideal way of setting up the two operating systems.

Recently I asked my son to use the Linux/Firefox to browse the internet and check his mail as well as use the MSN messenger all within Mandrake. He was surprised at the speed he was getting and the system seemed to him much faster than when he was working in Windows XP. Anothe thing he was also happy about was the fact that I had already set him up as a user so he now has his own desktop and all the goodies that he uses just a mouse click away. He is hooked totally and uses only Linux to get on the web through the broadband connection.

For some of the softwares we do need to use the Windows XP since we invested in them and are not available in Linux. Besides I am trying to get used to different free softwares available for Linux. Eventually I will shift to Linux only OS.

For those who have two hard drives this is an ideal way to setup, learn and experience Linux.

Just remember if you are a newbie I would advise you to use the Mandrake 10 which is the most user friendly Linux Distro and is easy to install without really worrying about anything at all.

:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have dabbled :) Have Mandrake 10 installed on a drive at the moment.

Only trouble is, as soon as I run into a problem and I can't fix it, I lose patience, get frustrated and give up. It really is quite a long learning curve, imo, and that's just Mandrake, supposedly one of the most user-friendly distros.

Mandrake 10.1 official will be available for d/l in a few weeks, I'm going to get that and make a serious effort this time at learning this thing.

One disadvantage with having a dual boot system is that if either OS decides to hose the mbr, it's possible you won't be able to boot into either. I suppose you could say that with any OS, single or dual boot, but I've managed to do just that with an installation of Red Hat and XP a while ago. Twas 'format C:' time :(

And Quad, yes, I'd agree, browsing does seem quicker to me within Mandrake than within XP.

Reaction score
I use Linux, suse9.1 pro is my main OS. I have a small windows 2000 boot for games and the like. I chat, browse, check mail and do all my work in Linux though.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I know about linux, but i play too many games to have it. I read that loads of games dont work with linux, which would be uselesss for me because its the only thing i use my pc for basicly.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
It really is quite a long learning curve, imo, and that's just Mandrake, supposedly one of the most user-friendly distros.

That's true the learning curve is pretty steep, no dought about it, but that is because we got used to Windows which maybe an idiot proof OS but unreliable, on the other hand Linux is not really idiot proof but very stable and reliable in the long run.
Mandrake 10.1 official will be available for d/l in a few weeks, I'm going to get that and make a serious effort this time at learning this thing.

I sure hope you will really make an effort this time :D

Reaction score
had a quick look at Knoppix Linux (the fake one sort of where you just boot it from the CD) but never used any of the mainstream versions.

May take a look. Will probably download it when i get my 2meg broadband connection as it shouldnt take long (!!)

But No, Never used it.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Chris,

You will not be disappointed, but the only thing possible is that you might say to yourself "Why the hell I didn't try it earlier?" :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Chris,

You will not be disappointed, but the only thing possible is that you might say to yourself "Why the hell I didn't try it earlier?" :D
Or alternatively, when you have to use your first text command, you'll be saying '******* Linux! Gah, I hate this thing...:mad: '

Maybe ;)

Very satisfying when things go right though.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Flops,

I counted the astericks and you are damn right! :D

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I dont think i ever seen a Linux system before!!

Reaction score
i've played with redhat, my biggest issue with linux is it's device support or lack of it!

my machines run on a wireless network and can't find drivers for my adapter, so i'm leaving linux for the time being.

IMO linux as a whole has big issues that people seem to forget about, the big selling point for linux is that it's so much more reliable and secure than windows. but..

Reliable? how is it more reliable? when was the last time your windows xp machine crashed?

and secure, IMO linux is the most unsecure o/s around, it's so unsecure its dangerous.

A team of qualified software engineers developed windows, who developed linux???

How much dodgy code and purposly created loop holes in linux for the programmers gain?

another angle and something to think about.

J

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Techy said:
Reliable? how is it more reliable? when was the last time your windows xp machine crashed?
I can't actually remember the last time Windows crashed - it used to be regular with Windows 98/ME. I'm rather pleased with XP, its been a couple of years since the last format and my PC is still as reliable as ever.

I would like to start using Linux more, but I'll probably have to start with Knoppix on a bootable CD at first :)

Reaction score
Quote from admin
What do you think about Linux? I personally don't use it, but I have used it a few times in the past :) I like the "idea" of Linux, but I don't think I could sacrifice compatibility and ease.

I agree, think you got it in a netshell there

Reaction score
i heard Linux is great! my mate was telling me that u dont get many crashes, dont need to restart much as windows

its meant to be very sound system but it dont look as user friendly as windows is!

they got to do a lot more to encourage the likes of me to purchase!

Ask a Question