• Windows Vista

Votes: 24 21.6%
  • Other

Votes: 19 17.1%

• Total voters

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Any big upgrades planned for this coming year :)

I can't actually see myself upgrading anything for another year, perhaps I'll switch to Vista much later on in the year, but no planned hardware changes.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I would love to but have only had this new build since October, So far i am very happy with it too. :thumb:

Maybe a new monitor and/or speakers to complement the X-FI soon but the pc is fine so far.

But i will keep an eye on the Kentsfield prices! :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've been swapping equipment about lately and my Socket 939 setup will be going to my eldest daughter.

And on my machine # 2 I will be adding a SATA 2 hard disk of at least 300Gb, possibly 500Gb, for storage.

This is because I've removed the two 35Gb Raptor drives in RAID 0 and have four hard disk caddies to house the main primary HDD so I can try various Linux Distros and run old games on Win 98.

I had three storage drives in there originally, 2 x 120Gb & 1 x 160Gb but because of the layout within the case and the positioning of the hard disk caddy (on an IDE connection) it means I can only use one SATA 120Gb hard drive in there atm, the other two drives are PATA devices.

So, I'll be connecting another SATA 2 hard disk to one of the three remaining SATA ports and transfer all data from the two PATA drives to that.

I may also buy a sound card and a new 5.1 speaker setup.

This is because, for some odd reason, I couldn't get my Hercules 5.1 speaker setup to work with my new computer (see sig) using onboard sound. I could use either the bass speaker or centre speaker, but not both. Updating drivers didn't help.

The speaker setup works fine on my other machine using onboard sound, quite odd.

So I may go for a Creative X-Fi Gamers card and a Logitech 5.1 speaker setup, but not sure yet.

I will probably get the hard disk in the near future but I'm going to have to earn some more money for the sound card and speakers.

Right now I'm using a Logitech 2.1 speaker system on my main machine which sounds good but it ain't 5.1, is it?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
In the middle of building my Kentsfield rig as we speak - but maybe look at upgrading my X2 3800 rigs later this year :nod:

Reaction score
Buying a Laptop so not much money left after that.
Happy with the system at the moment, even though it was built by Chimps of North London:rolleyes:
Does the job i bought it for, may get a spring clean in a week or so to get rid of dust inside etc.:thumb:

Reaction score
Probably some decent 7.1 speakers to compliment the rest of my rig.

and eventually, and i mean very eventual... Vista..

and after that, a DX 10 card.

money money money... :rolleyes:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Flops said:
So I may go for a Creative X-Fi Gamers card and a Logitech 5.1 speaker setup, but not sure yet.
Well worth the money Flops, Especially for the games. I am very impressed with my Extreme Music, The positional audio is very good. :thumb:

Last edited:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Cpu first, then when nvidias next graphics core comes out- my video card :D

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Definitely want to increase my RAM, I multitask far to much for my 512 to cope with,
& I want to increase my harddrive memory. I thought 55G would be plenty when I bought this but... :rolleyes:

But money is the killer,
don't know if I'll manage to get this done in the next year.
At the moment begining to wonder if we can even afford to go camping for our honeymoon :rolleyes:
Let along indulge in such yummy luxuries.

Mind you... some Hardrive space to put the wedding-Honeymoon photos on would be nice :rolleyes:
Have to do some major disc&Deleting before the wedding.
Too much sh*t on this comp.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i sold the MB, CPU and RAM from my old rig so i now have another 120GB of HD space but thats not gonna be enough so i'm gonna buy a couple of 500GB drives to give me even more storage

i really need to get a new monitor as well as this one is a little temperamental when turning it on, i do like the look of those 24" dell widescreens
nod.gif
,can't say the same about the price though

if i get the new monitor then i might as well get another 7600GS to go with the one i've got to give me a low end SLI setup

thats what i'd like to do anyway, just need to sort out the money side of things

Reaction score
Well I've just bought a new Hiper Type-R 580w psu and an AMD Athlon 64 4000 (skt 939) cpu.

Yes skt 939 has been replaced by AM2 technology but I couldn't justify buying a new mb and ram etc to go the whole hog.

Didn't feel the need to plunge for a X2 cpu as I don't do too much multi tasking and therefore didn't feel the need to shell out more cash on something that wouldn't really benefit me.

Would like to get a new gfx card. Currently have an ATI X800 gto which does the job for now but with more games coming out which require shader 3 technology I feel I will have to find the cash and purchase one.

Also would like to get a new monitor. 17" just isn't enough. Especially after seeing a lush 22" Samsung here at work which I could see looking quite nice on my desk at home :D

Money permitting though ;)

Don't tell my missus :blush:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
that my thinking mudfrog :D
and looking at www.newegg.com i can grab a FX-57 for just $300 :D
but cash is a little sparse so it'll be a while

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
My brain . This one works too slowly for all this modern hi-tech stuff
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
I have just 256MB RAM so more memory seems to be a good idea. I'd like to do it myself. Is it an easy procedure?

Reaction score
V_R said:
Yes, very easy.

Of course, I'd like to be sure I get the right kind of memory for my system. I don't want to make an error with two different kinds!

Reaction score
Im going for a new sound card with optical output, and more ram due at th eend of the week. im due to move flat soon, but wither way i want a new 5.1 system for my dvd/xbox 360 and sky, then i want to output my pc through it aswell. My friend has the same set up and its awesome especially the xbox. on PGR3 you can hear what sides the cars are coming from.

Reaction score
vista. after sp1 has been out long enough for it to be patched. expect, oh, 3 months from now. prolly won't need to upgrade hdwe... i hope!

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
ah this ol fossil- i suppose an update it in order.
Got the FX-57 back in march, new tower in August as well as a X-fi
next is a 9800 GTX in Novemer :D

Ask a Question