what do you do with your old hard drives?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I only tend to get rid of them once they've failed, in which case I normally pull them to bits to get the magnets and motors out (I still love pulling electronics to bits for handy components!). FWIW, be very careful if you do this as it's very easy to snap the neodymium magnets together and trap your fingers... it hurts.... a lot!

If you've getting rid of drives, I'd use some secure erasing software (loads out there for free) to wipe it clean. You could then sell it on, give it away... or just chuck it/destroy it.

Reaction score
Same as you Ian. Love pulling things to bits.

Only do it once drive has failed lol

Strip it down and take platter out. Call me paranoid, but I get a screw or something with a sharp point and scratch both surfaces of all platters
Just to make sure ;)

Then bin them

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Much the same as Ian and Trip. But usueally just keep them in a box with other spares in the loft. You never know when yuor a friendmight need an emergency drive or part for whatever :D

Reaction score
good ideas there
i will get some software to wipe them good

then maybe I could take the old ones apart
I've seen some companies who destroy the drives

I've just got some IDE drives lying around and they are useless

Ask a Question