What application is creating these files in my root folder?

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by miner2049er, Jan 14, 2007.

  1. miner2049er

    miner2049er Guest

    Running Windows XP SP2.

    In the root of hard drive C:\, over the past six months (according to
    their creation date), almost 300 files have appeared - all zero bytes
    in size and with filenames like the sample selection at the end of this
    message.

    Does anybody know what might be creating these, or how I might be able
    to find out? (Other than uninstalling all apps, and gradually
    reintroducing them.)

    I also can't remember what app I installed about six months ago, prior
    to them starting appearing. I only started to notice these files about
    a month or two ago.

    Thanks in advance for any replies.

    t17k
    t17k.1
    t1c8
    t1c8.1
    t1hk
    t1hk.1
    t1k4
    t1k4.1
    t1l0
    t1l0.1
    t1lc
    t1lc.1
    t1lg
    t1lg.1
    t1ls
    t1ls.1
    t1m4
    t1m4.1
    t1mc
    t1mc.1
    t1mo
    t1mo.1
    t1ms
    t1ms.1
    t1ms.2
    t1ms.3
    t1ms.4
    t1ms.5
    t1n0
    t1n0.1
    t1n8
    t1n8.1
    t1n8.2
    t1n8.3
    t1n8.4
    t1n8.5
    t1nc
    t1nc.1
    t1nc.2
    t1nc.3
    t1nc.4
    t1nc.5
    t1nc.6
    t1nc.7
    t1ng
    t1ng.1
    t1nk
    t1nk.1
    t1nk.2
    t1nk.3
    t1no
    t1no.1

    miner2049er, Jan 14, 2007

  2. miner2049er

    FrankV Guest

    RightClick on any then click properties>version. You might get enough
    information from "owner" to track where they came from.

    Frank

    FrankV, Jan 14, 2007

  3. miner2049er

    miner2049er Guest

    Thanks for the reply.

    Unfortunately, I don't get a "Version" showing up in the Properties.

    I just have the tabs General, Security and Summary.

    Opens with: Unknown application

    No clues anywhere in the file properties about what application created
    the file, or what app will open it.

    Can anybody else help?

    miner2049er, Jan 14, 2007