What AMD cpu?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Hello all
i've been wondering what cpu to get? My Athlon 2800+ xp has died and was wondering if anyone can give me any advice as to what to buy. Sure i could go out and buy the same again i guess, but i was wondering why not upgrade to something a bit more beefy!? As i am sure you will know the old one was a socket A. Any advice on this would be greatly recived.

Reaction score
yes why not?

What motherboard have u got?

when upgrading your CPU consider:

1. Your Motherboards Chipset and the motherboard itself, all u need is the make and model number and u can go to the website and find out the highest CPU your motherboard can handle

2. Your BIOS version, usually u will need to upgrade this very simple BUT DO NOT DO IT IF YOU ARE UNSURE THE CONSEQUENCES CAN BE FATAL.

looking at xp2800 I rekon you would be alrite in Getting XP3000 BARTON that is quite good speed, but i think u will need to change your memory also, but let us know the answer to the first question

my 800th form!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Hello again mate! My mobos a Gigabyte GA-7VT600-L. Someone told me i should look at a sempron, but i thought they were a cheap crappy thing!? I may be wrong though. My memory is two 512, 3200. hope that helps you out. One other thing, I read that the Athlons were being discontinued, is that true and does it have any bearing on my final choice?

Reaction score
right mate

your specs:

Front Side Bus 400/333/266/200 MHz FSB
Memory Type : DDR400(PC3200)/ DDR333 (PC2700) / DDR266 (PC2100) -184pin

luckily your fsb goes up to 400 which is super!
about the availibility of some cpus, yes they r becoming v hard to find. such as the 233fsb ones
xp1800 to xp2400! very hard to find, just like your cpu that had died is v hard to find also!
i think Semphron are good value for money no doubt but read on please:

i recently got myself an Athlon XP2200 (266FSB) which AMD do not even make anymore i managed to locate this in a local PC shop! after like 8 months of waiting!

right about your situation
i rekon u should go for AMD Athlon "Barton" XP3200+ 400FSB (Socket A)
it will cost u around £100, check this link:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/AMD_Athlon__Barton_.html

that cpu is very powerful it might be a lot of money but money well spent.
also, there is a very high chance you may need to update your bios and or get yourself a new CPU fan

do your research be4 hand though, also wait for the professionals on this site to give u the go ahead and get them to make sure that i have not made a mistake or left any corner untouched:p

good luck
hope this helps u out.

Reaction score
I had a pretty rad processor on my machine, unfortunately the machine was wack as it dies too many times, however when it did work it was cool.

939 pin - athlon 64 fx-53 processor

kaboom, unfortunately (as I said) the machine kept dying! Now I need some advice for a new system. Any ideas helpful.

Reaction score
scappy said:
I had a pretty rad processor on my machine, unfortunately the machine was wack as it dies too many times, however when it did work it was cool.

939 pin - athlon 64 fx-53 processor

kaboom, unfortunately (as I said) the machine kept dying! Now I need some advice for a new system. Any ideas helpful.

umm do u want advice for a new system
or a new cpu?

from what uve said go for a new cpu your memory seems fast enough.
and your mobo seems alrite so i woulndt bother changing this!

how did the machine keep dying? it was just the cpu right?

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Awsome CPU!, i wonder why it keeped dying...

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Vanilla Radio said:
Hello again mate! My mobos a Gigabyte GA-7VT600-L. Someone told me i should look at a sempron, but i thought they were a cheap crappy thing!? I may be wrong though. My memory is two 512, 3200. hope that helps you out. One other thing, I read that the Athlons were being discontinued, is that true and does it have any bearing on my final choice?
AMD Athlon T'Bird/T'bred = AMD Athlon Sempron ... the name was changed and some have a reduced L2 cache ... but they are the same CPU

If you can find a 3200 Barton (AMD Athlon, Barton core) that will do amicably ... If not, your only choice is the Sempron.

If you decide to go for the newer CPUs (939) then you WILL need a new MB, memory CPU ... etc,.

Find a Barton or go with the Sempron ... then your system should/will last for another year at least.

;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Only one choice, imo, an XP3200. 2.2Ghz and 200fsb for around a hundred smackers.

They're still available.

Lucky your memory was PC3200 otherwise you'd have to buy below.

The XP3200's are still available, whilst any Bartons below that are becoming increasingly hard to find.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Vanilla Radio said:
That sounds sweet to me!

In regards to the link you posted PSD, You mean the top one, right?
Or could i get the next one down and buy a seperate heat sink and fan for better cooling?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/AMD_Athlon__Barton_.html
Your choice, really, in my experience, stock AMD coolers are not particularly too good.

But for a little extra money if you buy the retail version you'll get a three year warranty.

Or you could save a few pennies buying the OEM version and use a better cooler. But then you only get one year's warranty.

Ask a Question