Welsh assembly HUH:

Reaction score
So: the Welsh assembly want more controlling power transferred from Parliament HUH; yet they can not amass enough Sand/salt for the gritters to distribute around Wales during the present freeze.

They couldn’t organise a pi## up in a brewery and that’s a fact.

I am so angry at all the cock-ups the Welsh assembly make? Yes I voted not to have a Welsh assembly and now I know why.
Rant cooling down now....:mad:

Reaction score
Hello Itsme.

What is it that the Welsh want and ,for that matter, the Scots. Are they looking for compleat independance from England.? If so they should go for an act to enable them to gather their own tax. But I have a feeling that if they go down that road they will both feel a very chilly wind blowing over the valleys and glens.
historian

Reaction score
What is it that the Welsh want and ,for that matter, the Scots.
A kick up the ass. This is Great britain and not Ireland England Wales and Scotland as separate states but united. During a conflict we are Great Britain and must remain so [Devided we fall united we stand] Wales and Scotland want home rule. Well I for one don`t and I think the majority who voted for are now realising they where wrong to vote in favour and regret having done so?
I don`t like talking politics but? I sometimes feel I need to get a point across to make them realise how it should be if you get my drift.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I don't like nationalism, especially in an island this small.

Independence for Wales, Scotland, Cornwall, Pimlico?

To what purpose? To what advantage?

These movements, in my opinion, are founded by people with a chip on their shoulder about something, something I'm not even sure they know what is.

There seems to be this attitude that England is the big bogeyman, London in particular, and that English politicians don't listen to what is perceived as different needs for different regions. Nothing different there really, politicians don't listen to the needs of anybody, regardless where they're from.

What makes the taffs, the jocks, think their own politicians will look after their supposed different needs? All politicians are selfish, corrupt and only after feathering their own nest anyway.

The actions of the Lib Dems bowing down to Cameron and doing his bidding after all their manifesto promises is proof of this.

It's fine to be proud of your roots, wear your tartan, wave your leeks, wear a little badge that says 'Greenwich' it's good. But seperatism?

As itsme said, united we stand, divided we fall. In times of war we stand together, jocks, taffs, southern jessies united. Observe the film 'Zulu'. Politically poor example I know but it shows servicemen from all four corners of this tiny island as one.

Those who feel too strongly about the patch of land they were born on and their accent to my mind have something lacking. They are inadequate.

I've met, worked, played and talked to many people from different places and for the most part found people are friendly.

Only two exceptions was I found Manchester was as cold as London and some remote parts of Wales were distinctly unfriendly, I experienced that instant hush when walking into a pub and language changing from English to Welsh. Pathetic.

Anyway, the hell with division, we need to stand together.

I didn't mention Ireland as I disagree with the border and it's physically a seperate land from the UK, but that's another whole heap of hoo-ha ;)

I'm perhaps treading on dangerous ground with politics but I feel the regulars here are adults and can converse without wanting to fire thermo-nuclear devices at each other :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Well said Itsme and Flopps. :nod: :thumb:

We certainly did NOT vote in favour of a Welsh Assembly either, knowing that it would inevitably be populated by folk with rather narrow outlooks.

Most of them are far more concerned about spending vast amounts of cash on promoting bilingualism in predominantly English-speaking counties. Or wonderful new Council office buildings, where no expense has been spared.

Separatism is not a good way to go, the UK is too small to be fragmented ... it's going backwards to the middle ages, when our Isle consisted of many little kingdoms and the inevitable, battles to enlarge those kingdoms.

floppybootstomp said:
I experienced that instant hush when walking into a pub and language changing from English to Welsh. Pathetic.

Fwiw Flopps, we've encountered exactly the same thing when visiting relatives in W. Wales and we're so-called "natives" but we're not Welsh-speakers. :lol:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
United Kingdom? It’s not united at all. We should be called the Disunited kingdom.

Different parts of this country have completely different rules. The Scots and the Welsh have their own separate parliaments and yet get to vote on English matters whereas we have no say in theirs. Free prescriptions and university places but not here in England.

We are, supposedly, one country and imo the rules should be exactly the same for everyone in it. Although I'm English I, like many other people, have Irish and Scottish blood in my veins, but get none of the advantages that the non-English get.

Politicians always think that they know better than anyone else how to spend other people’s money. The cost of these Independent Parliaments is astronomical and what do we get from them? An over complicated system which seems to annoy just about everyone (except the politicians). :(

Reaction score
Some remote parts of Wales were distinctly unfriendly; I experienced that instant hush when walking into a pub and language changing from English to Welsh. Pathetic.

Exactly FBS I think those who do that are really ignorant I have often gone into a pub and had a difference of opinion over the ignorance shown by these pathetic Welsh speaking Welsh in the company of none speakers of Welsh. It really gets my back up.:wall:

And I agree with everything you have said:thumb:

CITech

Offshore Crunchie Eater
Reaction score
itsme said:

Exactly FBS I think those who do that are really ignorant I have often gone into a pub and had a difference of opinion over the ignorance shown by these pathetic Welsh speaking Welsh in the company of none speakers of Welsh. It really gets my back up.:wall:
I'm so glad I'm not the only one who feels like that!

As a non Welsh speaking Welshman I think it is wholly rude. They are probably the first to complain when (if) they venture into foreign climbs and experienced the same lack of hospitality :)

Reaction score
Then the Balkan states are in for a bad time again.Ever since that area broke up that`s all they have had---bad times. They should have stuck together as Yugoslavia.

historian

Ask a Question