Welcome to the New Server!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ok a couple of PM's later and its sorted itself out. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
How strange! :eek: I'm going to do the MySQL downgrade tomorrow morning, and that should sort these bugs out :)

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Ian - I'm experiencing slow initial connection to the site, but once I'm in things seem to navigate around OK?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Is it on the main page that the slowness happens out of interest? I'm trying to find the problem now :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've added "skip-name-resolve" to the MySQL database now, which can apparently reduce initial connection times :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The server seems to be running better now, has anyone noticed any other bugs since the 28th? I'm going to try and add the subscribed threads count back to the front page next week :thumb:

As a side note, I can recommend XCache for anyone here looking to speed up PHP. It's very stable from my testing so far :nod:

Reaction score
Hi Ian, just got the following come up.

Whilst posting at 1530 got the following error
HTTP 500 Internal Server Error

And when refreshing the page got:
PHP has encountered an Access Violation at 7C81BD02

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Cheers Feckit, I'll look into it now - I got the 500 error too, but not that 2nd one :thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Still finding pages are loading slower here than I expect Ian - other sites are fine.

Electronics & Photo Fan

Dedicated Cruncher
Reaction score
The search function on the site has REALLY slowed down. For example, if I search for a key term posted by a specific user, It can take up to 20 seconds, sometimes more.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I find that the main page and/or the 'Todays Post' page can sometimes take a while to load, all others seem fine though.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
OK, I'm going to have to take an in-depth look at this during the week. It's definitely more reliable than before, server wise, I just need to get the speed the way it was before. Is it way too slow, or just a little laggy?

edit: I've done a few load time tests, and the problem seems to be the main page and searching - which seems to tie in with the last few posts. Does that sound about right to others too?

I should be able to sort these reasonably enough during next week I hope, and then things should be back to normal :thumb: I've got my university Viva on Tuesday morning, so it might be after that (but hopefully Monday). :nod:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think I've found the problem with the PM's that V_R found before, so that's one more off the list :)

I'm going to take a look at the main page next, which might involve temporarily removing things to see what is causing the slowness.

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I've got my university Viva on Tuesday morning, so it might be after that (but hopefully Monday).
nod.gif
Good Luck, Ian:thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ah yes, that's happened for a while now - I had a look at fixing it a long while back but couldn't do it. I'll try again though and see if it's possible :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah yes i thought it used to do it. Dont worry too much, its no big problem. :)

Ask a Question