Weird mail trying top get "a.cgi", any ideas ?

Maxime Ducharme

Hi,
I received a suspicious email which seems to be an exploit
of OE to infect people with a trojan or something like that.

Here's how the email source look like (I removed SMTP IPs & received
headers):

=================== BEGIN SOURCE =================
From: "Lorna Roach" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>, <[email protected]>
Subject: Hey
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 03 22:41:51 GMT

--AF3E6...967056.7.08E03F7

<head>
%3130.2%30%31%2F%63g%69%2D%62i%6E%2Fa%2E%63%67%69"></object></div>
</head>

--AF3E6...967056.7.08E03F7--
=================== END SOURCE =================

This code tries to download this file :

http://63.246.130.201/cgi-bin/a.cgi

This host doesnt answer my pings and his tcp port 80 is stealthed.

I didnt find anything on Google yet.

Someone recognize a virus in this or I am targeted by someone ?

I do not like the fact that the email is targeted at 2 specific address
of our organisation.

Thanks for any reply

Nick FitzGerald

I saw my first of these last night and have had a couple more reports
this morning...
I received a suspicious email which seems to be an exploit
of OE to infect people with a trojan or something like that.

Close, yes...
Here's how the email source look like (I removed SMTP IPs & received
headers):

If you would not mind, I'd like to know the originating IP (or mail server).
If' you'd rather not post it publicly, please send it to me via Email.

<head>
%3130.2%30%31%2F%63g%69%2D%62i%6E%2Fa%2E%63%67%69"></object></div>

"URL escaped" encoding of a URl to a file called a.cgi which is a VBScript that
drops a small .EXE (named drg.exe) and runs it. drg.exe is a "downloader" that
pulls down a copy of the SurferBar IE toolbar and registers it via regsvr32.

In turn the toolbar drops another .EXE (winsvr32.exe) into "c:\program files"
(that path is hard-coded) and runs it. This .EXE is a "guardian" that runs a
10-second sleep loop making sure that its own auto-start and two of SurferBar's
registry configuration settings are present. The SurferBar toolbar also makes
a large nnumber of (pretty tastelessly named) shortcuts in your Start menu and
in the "Programs" sub-menu thereunder...
This code tries to download this file :

http://63.246.130.201/cgi-bin/a.cgi

Yep -- that's what the above encoded URL decodes to...
This host doesnt answer my pings and his tcp port 80 is stealthed.

Yes -- it does seem rather dead now, but last night I could d/l that file and
the SurferBar toolbar .DLL the downloader is programmed to grab. The main
surferbar.com site (63.246.130.200) was pretty sad -- all the links were to
some other site (kanoodle.com ??) and were dead, much as www.surferbar.com
seems to be now... (Hopefully this means the hosting company has closed
surferbar.com down...)
I didnt find anything on Google yet.

Try Google Groups and search for "surferbar". There were a couple of dozen hits
going back 2 or 3 days last night.
Someone recognize a virus in this or I am targeted by someone ?

AFAICT, it is not viral, but this "seed" Email seems to have been quite widely
spammed.