Weight of PC tower?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Christo, Apr 19, 2006.

  1. Christo

    Christo Guest

    not sure if this is relevant to this group but couldnt think of anywhere
    else

    can anyone tell me what roughly the weight of a PC tower is

    a full ATX tower.. in Kg preferably but its not important, would like to
    know

    Thanks in advance

    Christo
     
    Christo, Apr 19, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. Christo

    kony Guest

    On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:53:30 +0100, "Christo"
    <> wrote:

    >not sure if this is relevant to this group but couldnt think of anywhere
    >else
    >
    >can anyone tell me what roughly the weight of a PC tower is
    >
    >a full ATX tower.. in Kg preferably but its not important, would like to
    >know
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >
    >Christo
    >



    A full tower can hold a lot of parts, it'll depend on how
    full of parts it is.

    Random number would be 35 Kg
     
    kony, Apr 19, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Christo

    Guest

    Christo wrote:
    > not sure if this is relevant to this group but couldnt think of anywhere
    > else
    >
    > can anyone tell me what roughly the weight of a PC tower is
    >
    > a full ATX tower.. in Kg preferably but its not important, would like to
    > know
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Christo



    They vary a lot. The ones with plastic or aluminium side panels are
    lighter than the ones made out of thick steel. The heaviest beasts are
    often servers, which seem to be designed to give superman a hernia.
     
    , Apr 20, 2006
    #3
  4. Christo

    kony Guest

    On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 19:34:21 GMT, kony <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:53:30 +0100, "Christo"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>not sure if this is relevant to this group but couldnt think of anywhere
    >>else
    >>
    >>can anyone tell me what roughly the weight of a PC tower is
    >>
    >>a full ATX tower.. in Kg preferably but its not important, would like to
    >>know
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance
    >>
    >>Christo
    >>

    >
    >
    >A full tower can hold a lot of parts, it'll depend on how
    >full of parts it is.
    >
    >Random number would be 35 Kg



    That's with the parts in it of course, and one of reasonably
    thick metal, not a $40 cheapie.
     
    kony, Apr 20, 2006
    #4
  5. Christo

    Dave Guest

    "kony" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 19:34:21 GMT, kony <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:53:30 +0100, "Christo"
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>>not sure if this is relevant to this group but couldnt think of anywhere
    >>>else
    >>>
    >>>can anyone tell me what roughly the weight of a PC tower is
    >>>
    >>>a full ATX tower.. in Kg preferably but its not important, would like to
    >>>know
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in advance
    >>>
    >>>Christo
    >>>

    >>
    >>
    >>A full tower can hold a lot of parts, it'll depend on how
    >>full of parts it is.
    >>
    >>Random number would be 35 Kg

    >
    >
    > That's with the parts in it of course, and one of reasonably
    > thick metal, not a $40 cheapie.


    35kg?? Not for an ordinary consumer pc surely. I would have said more in the
    5-10kg range with the PSU as the heaviest component.
     
    Dave, Apr 20, 2006
    #5
  6. Christo

    kony Guest

    On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:24:29 +0200, "Dave"
    <> wrote:

    >
    >"kony" <> wrote in message
    >news:...
    >> On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 19:34:21 GMT, kony <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:53:30 +0100, "Christo"
    >>><> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>not sure if this is relevant to this group but couldnt think of anywhere
    >>>>else
    >>>>
    >>>>can anyone tell me what roughly the weight of a PC tower is
    >>>>
    >>>>a full ATX tower.. in Kg preferably but its not important, would like to
    >>>>know
    >>>>
    >>>>Thanks in advance
    >>>>
    >>>>Christo
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>A full tower can hold a lot of parts, it'll depend on how
    >>>full of parts it is.
    >>>
    >>>Random number would be 35 Kg

    >>
    >>
    >> That's with the parts in it of course, and one of reasonably
    >> thick metal, not a $40 cheapie.

    >
    >35kg?? Not for an ordinary consumer pc surely. I would have said more in the
    >5-10kg range with the PSU as the heaviest component.
    >


    A very cheap, small PC might be only 5-10 Kg. A full ATX
    tower case alone (of reasonable quality) is more than 10Kg
    empty.
     
    kony, Apr 20, 2006
    #6
  7. Christo

    Guest

    On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:34:19 GMT, kony <> wrote:

    >
    >A very cheap, small PC might be only 5-10 Kg. A full ATX
    >tower case alone (of reasonable quality) is more than 10Kg
    >empty.


    Some of the older type cases even mid tower ones were HEAVY.
    The more recent cases tend to be far lighter. And the recent aluminum
    ones I bought are feather light. Some steel cases surprisingly are
    very light nowadays.

    Either way you put CD and DVD drives in them and they start to get
    pretty heavy. Those are really hefty. HDs argent as heavy as CD/DVD
    drives but they add noticeably to the weight too. In my Antec mid
    tower, there are 5 HDs and 2 burners , it feels pretty heavy.

    If you add that same amount of stuff to a heavy old case --- it gets
    fairly unbearable if you had to carry it around a fair distance.
     
    , Apr 21, 2006
    #7
  8. Christo

    kony Guest

    On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 16:42:15 GMT, wrote:

    >On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 10:34:19 GMT, kony <> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >>A very cheap, small PC might be only 5-10 Kg. A full ATX
    >>tower case alone (of reasonable quality) is more than 10Kg
    >>empty.

    >
    >Some of the older type cases even mid tower ones were HEAVY.
    >The more recent cases tend to be far lighter. And the recent aluminum
    >ones I bought are feather light. Some steel cases surprisingly are
    >very light nowadays.
    >
    >Either way you put CD and DVD drives in them and they start to get
    >pretty heavy. Those are really hefty. HDs argent as heavy as CD/DVD
    >drives but they add noticeably to the weight too. In my Antec mid
    >tower, there are 5 HDs and 2 burners , it feels pretty heavy.
    >
    >If you add that same amount of stuff to a heavy old case --- it gets
    >fairly unbearable if you had to carry it around a fair distance.
    >



    Yep, ii,ve an old AT full tower here which has each
    removable side panel weighing more than an entire low-end
    mATX. It has wheels though, and (LOL) the wheels alone are
    worth more to me than an entire low-end mATX case would be;
    ie- about $6

    I don't even buy new cases for personal builds anymore, the
    only thing I liked more about newer cases was the front
    ports/sockets but I've accumulated enough bay all-in-one
    port thingamajigs and various dongles that it's worth the 5
    minutes to add one over spending $100 for something of
    slightly lower quality and STILL wanting to mod it towards
    the airflow I'd alredy achieved in cases already owned.
    Someday BTX will be dominant though, I'll resist that as
    long as possible.
     
    kony, Apr 22, 2006
    #8
  9. Christo

    Guest

    On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 11:53:30 +0100, "Christo"
    <> wrote:

    >not sure if this is relevant to this group but couldnt think of anywhere
    >else
    >
    >can anyone tell me what roughly the weight of a PC tower is
    >
    >a full ATX tower.. in Kg preferably but its not important, would like to
    >know
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >
    >Christo


    Ive been working on several of my systems so I actually decided to
    weigh it for the heck of it. I used a bathroom scale.

    My second system is a Antec full tower case which is one of the
    lighter cases , not the really heavy old style case but not as light
    as two of my newest cases . My lightest cases is a aluminum one by
    Antec the Super Lanboy which is made to be more portable. Another is a
    MGE cases which is steel but they made everything so thin its really
    light and they are both midtowers.

    The Antec full tower with one DVD burner and two hard disks , also
    power supply of course --- the other main heavy component , with
    motherboard, cables , CPU and memory ----- 40 pounds. The optical
    drives seem like they are the heaviest component in the system next to
    the case which greatly varies in weight.
     
    , Apr 25, 2006
    #9
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. phantom
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,076
    phantom
    Jul 13, 2003
  2. HN

    Half size ATX mid tower case ??

    HN, Sep 8, 2003, in forum: Computer Hardware
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    698
  3. Michael Wagner

    IBM 300 PL tower case

    Michael Wagner, Oct 28, 2003, in forum: Computer Hardware
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    529
  4. Wolfi

    ATX Midi Tower Cases

    Wolfi, Nov 1, 2003, in forum: Computer Hardware
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    160
    Guido
    Nov 2, 2003
  5. the dead comedian

    building an "auxiliary" tower to house extra drives

    the dead comedian, Nov 16, 2003, in forum: Computer Hardware
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    163
    Steven Toney
    Nov 16, 2003
Loading...

Share This Page