    Code: 0

    Followed by the URL of the web page being visited ...................

    Stu

    Guest, Aug 6, 2007

    squawking standby

    Guest, Aug 6, 2007

    Hi Stu,

    Negative here, the same with IE7,

    This came in my mind, how about flushing the DNS, Doesn't hurt to try, also
    in the same vein, suggest cleaning up the system (clearing out all the
    Temp/Tmp folders, and included all offline content, clearing the browser TIF,
    Delete Cookies , do a
    Disk CleanUp.

    Good luck

    Guest, Aug 6, 2007

    Stu,
    are you using a download manager like Getright, DAP, Orbit downloader ??

    Guest, Aug 6, 2007

    Hi Engel - Nice to see you.

    I`ve tried flushing the DNS cache and emptying the junk but it still seems
    to be a `hit and miss affair`. Right now I`m showing an error but have
    managed to get here. Strange. As I said before, I don`t seem to have any
    trouble with any of the other MS NGs. Yes, I do use a download manager -
    GetRight.

    Squawking Ident ;)

    Take Care

    Stu

    Guest, Aug 6, 2007
  6. Hi Stu,

    I don't use the web interface to view these groups but rather an NNTP news
    reader, but I took a look this morning with the IE6, IE7, and Avant Browsers
    and I'm experiencing the same results as you are with regard to the Script
    error(s) with those three Browsers. Here's my take on why this is
    happening.

    That error message("dapMgr" is undefined) is being caused by a missing .js
    file(dap.js) that is not being served up from the MSN Ads server:
    http://Ads1.msn.com/library/dap.js
    possibly because the server itself is down at this time.

    So the "dap.js" file in the following code:
    <script type="text/javascript"
    src="http://Ads1.msn.com/library/dap.js"></script>
    is not being downloaded to the Cache folder(Temporary Internet Files).

    Another JavaScript in the Source code on those pages is calling for that
    "dap.js" file and it's not available in the Cache(Temporary Internet Files)
    and so a script error is rendered, here's the call for that "dap.js" file
    that is causing the error message:

    <script type="text/javascript">
    dapMgr.enableACB("CMSSH1", false);
    dapMgr.renderAd("CMSSH1", "&PG=CMSSH1&SC=F3&AP=1164",120,240);
    </script>

    It's calling "dapMgr" and "dapMgr" is defined in "dap.js" which is not
    available in the cache folder(Temporary Internet Files), and so you get an
    error message that "dapMgr" is undefined.

    Good luck,

    Donald Anadell

    Donald Anadell, Aug 7, 2007

    Hi Donald

    Ah! Many thanks for your explanation. I guess that must beg the question
    there are times (like this) when it might not so be so smart to clean out the
    TIF folder so often. What I mean is. If I hadn`t done so since the possible
    MSN Ads server error started, then perhaps the dap.js file could already be
    sitting here (in the TIF folder) from previous visits before things went
    wrong. Or, doesn`t it work like that?

    Stu

    Guest, Aug 7, 2007
  8. Hi Stu,

    Your theory sounds good to me, like you I run CCleaner on nearly a daily
    basis so any previously downloaded copy of dap.js would be long gone on any
    of my machines here.

    Just another good reason to abandon the use of the web interface for viewing
    these groups and use an NNTP news reader IMHO;o)

    Good luck,

    Donald Anadell

    Donald Anadell, Aug 7, 2007

    Hi Donald,

    Perhaps its high time I abandoned my `die hard` approach of viewing these
    NGs thru a web based interface and fire up Outlook Express.

    Stu

    Guest, Aug 7, 2007
  10. The general sentiment among "old timers" and folks who do significant
    volumes of posting is in favor of NNTP. I certainly use NNTP most of the
    time, myself. However, looking at forums/newsgroups in the perspective of
    the broader Internet as a communications medium, I'm seeing considerable
    advantage to a mechanism involving authentication of some sort--NNTP, like
    email, is pretty anonymous. Authentication allows, for example, my posts
    when made via HTML to show my MVP status, for whatever that is worth to the
    reader--with some assurance that it is legitimate--and that I am who I
    am--impersonation is not uncommon in NNTP groups.

    Microsoft has made an attempt to incorporate this into the Vista mail
    application, but I haven't used that mechanism enough to know how effective
    and reliable it is. Beyond that--most folks just find HTML./web easier to
    get started with.

    The issue most large-volume responders have is with the speed and
    responsiveness, and also the ability to work offline--some are still on
    dialup and download messages and compose replies offline. In general, HTML
    forums are painfully slow compared to NNTP--and this is annoying when you
    are volunteering your time.

    By all means learn about and try out NNTP--but be aware that there are a
    number of support forums that Microsoft uses for various purposes and
    products, which don't have an NNTP interface--OneCare used to be such a
    product, but I believe they recently started an NNTP group which is a good
    sign.

    Bill Sanderson MVP, Aug 18, 2007